U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Superbowl Act would you choose?
Pink Floyd 6 23.08%
Led Zeppelin 6 23.08%
Van Halen 6 23.08%
AC/DC 8 30.77%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 01:31 PM

12,480 posts, read 4,220,336 times

Advertisements

Excellent topic. My vote goes for Pink Floyd, the greatest band of all time. But, since you aren't getting them, and you aren't getting Zeppelin, and probably not VH or AC/DC either.....I'm voting for the greatest blues/rock performer in the world: Joe Bonamassa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 12:28 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,881,811 times
I agree they should put down the notion of half time entertainment, it's mostly old geezers that watch the game and our favorite bands have aged even faster than we have and the ones that aren't broken up or dead could be seiously injured if they were to stumble and fall off the stage. Go back to having a marching band march across the field in the shape of a football...

Bum-da-bum, rat-a-tat-tat, Bum-da-bum-bum, rat-a-tat-tat....

Old 07-02-2012, 01:00 PM

5,517 posts, read 9,013,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Seriously though, why not someone heavy like Slayer? We've seen the Bon Jovi's and all the pop groups so lets change it up a little.

Because a group like Slayer has very limited interest even in the US, forget about world wide. Its always going to be a platinum record pop act, and always will, because thats what a majority of people would be interested in seeing, not a thrash metal band that saw its best times over 20 years ago, and even then, they were only going gold.

To answer the question, Id have to pick Van Halen by default. Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd are overrated and I cant stand them, and AC/DC simply needs to crawl back in whatever hole they came out of.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Since the 90s is making a comeback, I would love to see a super show with Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Soundgarten, and a couple of others.

Toss out Foo Fighters, and Id be down with Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains. A Seattle sound superbowl. Nice.

What is actually pretty awesome is that Soundgarden just reunited a short time ago, Pearl Jam will probably be coming off touring, and Alice in Chains is rumored to be releasing an album right about that time.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:07 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,182,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Because a group like Slayer has very limited interest even in the US, forget about world wide. Its always going to be a platinum record pop act, and always will, because thats what a majority of people would be interested in seeing, not a thrash metal band that saw its best times over 20 years ago, and even then, they were only going gold.

To answer the question, Id have to pick Van Halen by default. Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd are overrated and I cant stand them, and AC/DC simply needs to crawl back in whatever hole they came out of.
I agree that their best years were about 20 years ago but they are still going strong. That's why they are part of the Big 4. As far as limited interest goes, if you like metal than you like Slayer. They have a huge following in the US as well as in Europe. I am not a Pink Floyd fan but if you think Zeppelin is overrated, you must be a Britney Spears fan. Zeppelin are one of the all time greats and Plant was the mold for what most front men became and who they modeled themselves after.

*** I do think that real metal might be a stretch though and that's why they use cheesy groups like the Foo Fighters.***

Old 07-02-2012, 08:35 PM

977 posts, read 1,629,639 times
Metal would be far more appropriate than Madonna or some of the other pansy acts they have put out there. The average football fan does not listen to Madonna, Janet Jackson, Justin Timberlake, or N Sync. However, as has been said, Slayer doesn't have enough of a following to pull it off, and they would probably scare the kids.

I say put Metallica out there.

Best halftime show they have actually done thus far has been U2, by far.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I agree that their best years were about 20 years ago but they are still going strong. That's why they are part of the Big 4. As far as limited interest goes, if you like metal than you like Slayer. They have a huge following in the US as well as in Europe.
They dont have a huge following, at least not one that is showing their support by buying records. Their following is largely restricted to thrash metal fans, and thats it. Thrash metal fans are a very small minute minority of the population, which is why a group like Slayer has difficulty even going gold.

Quote:
I am not a Pink Floyd fan but if you think Zeppelin is overrated, you must be a Britney Spears fan. Zeppelin are one of the all time greats and Plant was the mold for what most front men became and who they modeled themselves after.
Im a Britney Spears fan because I think Zeppelins music is garbage, and Jimmy Page was absolutely the weak link in the Yardbirds and carried that straight over to Led Zeppelin?

No doubt Led Zeppelin is one of the all time greats, they have the album sales and accolades to back themselves up, Im personally just not a fan, and I believe they are overrated. I have 4 Led Zepellin albums, including 4 and 2, which are their two best commericially, and they do nothing for me. I got a couple more thinking it might get better....nope.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:06 AM

8,163 posts, read 13,182,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
They dont have a huge following, at least not one that is showing their support by buying records. Their following is largely restricted to thrash metal fans, and thats it. Thrash metal fans are a very small minute minority of the population, which is why a group like Slayer has difficulty even going gold.

Im a Britney Spears fan because I think Zeppelins music is garbage, and Jimmy Page was absolutely the weak link in the Yardbirds and carried that straight over to Led Zeppelin?

No doubt Led Zeppelin is one of the all time greats, they have the album sales and accolades to back themselves up, Im personally just not a fan, and I believe they are overrated. I have 4 Led Zepellin albums, including 4 and 2, which are their two best commericially, and they do nothing for me. I got a couple more thinking it might get better....nope.
I agree that Zeppelin isn't for everyone but in no way does that make them overrated. In my opinion Beck was better and Page high was very good. When Page sobered up he dropped off but Zeppelin was more about Robert Plant and then the guitar riffs. I was in the industry for a while and Slayers numbers especially nowadays are based on touring. In todays market you have to do more touring based on the fact that records,tapes,cd's dont sell anymore. The existence of digital music/mp3's killed music sales. Like I said go to Europe and the scandinavian countries and you'll be shocked at how big Slayer and the metal scene is. It was always bigger outside of the US. In the US places like NY,CA, and FL were the major hotspots for metal with a few hit and miss areas here and there.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
Metal would be far more appropriate than Madonna or some of the other pansy acts they have put out there. The average football fan does not listen to Madonna, Janet Jackson, Justin Timberlake, or N Sync. However, as has been said, Slayer doesn't have enough of a following to pull it off, and they would probably scare the kids.
The average football fan is not the majority of people tuned in to the Super Bowl. Almost 50% of all US households watched the Superbowl this past year, or at least 113 million people (thats obviously not including the sports bars and superbowl parties). That is almost six times the number of average viewers for NBC Sunday night football, the highest rated game of any week. Nielsen estimates that only 200 million unique people were delivered the NFL in 2011. Since on any given football weekend, there are 272 million people or so watching all the games.....do the math on that one. Its a fact that, at minimum, there are at least 72 million people watching multiple games, every week. My guess is the number is probably much smaller. Probably the same core of about 50 million watching multiple games, every week, while the very casual "fan" watches some here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
I say put Metallica out there.

Best halftime show they have actually done thus far has been U2, by far.

Metallica might work. They are relevent enough today, and theyve crossed the metal/pop line enough to have wide appeal. They have multiple platinum records in multiple countries as well.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I agree that Zeppelin isn't for everyone but in no way does that make them overrated. In my opinion Beck was better and Page high was very good. When Page sobered up he dropped off but Zeppelin was more about Robert Plant and then the guitar riffs
Maybe thats why Zeppelin never did anything for me. Dynamic front men, not really a big deal to me. Im more about the song writing, production, and to a lesser extent, but still important, the complete body of guitar work. To me, Page had his moments, but Beck and Clapton blew him out of the water, and Page and Plant wrote terrible songs to boot. Every song they wrote was absolute drivel on the level of Lemon Song, Four Sticks and Black Dog, and the only thing they can really sit on is Stairway to Heaven, which they probably dropped their combined creative reserves on.

Quote:
I was in the industry for a while and Slayers numbers especially nowadays are based on touring. In todays market you have to do more touring based on the fact that records,tapes,cd's dont sell anymore. The existence of digital music/mp3's killed music sales. Like I said go to Europe and the scandinavian countries and you'll be shocked at how big Slayer and the metal scene is. It was always bigger outside of the US. In the US places like NY,CA, and FL were the major hotspots for metal with a few hit and miss areas here and there.
Its tougher to sell albums now, but groups/artists still manage to go gold and platinum. Even that said, Slayer hasnt been relevant at all since 1994's Divine Intervention, and made at least 3 forgettable albums before piracy really took off.

I dont question that they are popular in Europe. It seems like they might actually even be more popular in Europe than here. How does that help the Super Bowl though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or