U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which Superbowl Act would you choose?
Pink Floyd 6 23.08%
Led Zeppelin 6 23.08%
Van Halen 6 23.08%
AC/DC 8 30.77%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-03-2012, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Savannah GA/Lk Hopatcong NJ
13,107 posts, read 24,913,729 times
Reputation: 11146

Advertisements

None of those in the poll choice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-03-2012, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,198,016 times
Reputation: 2488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Maybe thats why Zeppelin never did anything for me. Dynamic front men, not really a big deal to me. Im more about the song writing, production, and to a lesser extent, but still important, the complete body of guitar work. To me, Page had his moments, but Beck and Clapton blew him out of the water, and Page and Plant wrote terrible songs to boot. Every song they wrote was absolute drivel on the level of Lemon Song, Four Sticks and Black Dog, and the only thing they can really sit on is Stairway to Heaven, which they probably dropped their combined creative reserves on.



Its tougher to sell albums now, but groups/artists still manage to go gold and platinum. Even that said, Slayer hasnt been relevant at all since 1994's Divine Intervention, and made at least 3 forgettable albums before piracy really took off.

I dont question that they are popular in Europe. It seems like they might actually even be more popular in Europe than here. How does that help the Super Bowl though?
The question was who the super bowl half time act should be. I thought they would be an "interesting choice". You really can't go by sales though otherwise people like Justin Beiber (Beaver) and Katy Perry would be high on the list. Honestly they haven't paid their dues in my eyes and compared to Zeppelin, VH, PF, Slayer, Metallica, etc... they are both nothing. I realize that normally the half time shows are pop-crap with an occasional AC-DC type compromise group filling the role but sometimes you have to pay homage to the bands that have stood the test of time. South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss on their own were fantastic albums. Megadeth could fill this role too. It gets really lame hearing the same old commercial garbage year after year with an occasional throw in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2012, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
5,517 posts, read 9,023,351 times
Reputation: 2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
The question was who the super bowl half time act should be. I thought they would be an "interesting choice". You really can't go by sales though otherwise people like Justin Beiber (Beaver) and Katy Perry would be high on the list. Honestly they haven't paid their dues in my eyes and compared to Zeppelin, VH, PF, Slayer, Metallica, etc... they are both nothing. I realize that normally the half time shows are pop-crap with an occasional AC-DC type compromise group filling the role but sometimes you have to pay homage to the bands that have stood the test of time. South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss on their own were fantastic albums. Megadeth could fill this role too. It gets really lame hearing the same old commercial garbage year after year with an occasional throw in.

And I completely agree with you on the pop crap. Last years super bowl was an absolute travesty in my opinion. I would take Led Zeppelin 100 out of 100 times over anything with Cee Lo or LMFAO in it. I mean, Madonna was bad enough, but at least shes a legend herself.

However, there is a reason why those pop tarts are selling records, and its because they have mass appeal. The designers of the superbowl have to appeal to a very large and diversified audience, that is why huge commercial successes always end up playing.

I do get your argument, youd like to see someone with a more appealing musical quality, I would as well. I would personally take Slayer over the Black Eyed Peas or MIA any day of the week. However, how many people watching the super bowl would make that choice? That is the question every person involved with the organization of the event has to answer before they settle on somebody.

Speaking of this....what about stadium rock? I find it odd a group like Queen, Journey or Foreigner have never been asked to do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2012, 11:02 PM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,198,016 times
Reputation: 2488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
And I completely agree with you on the pop crap. Last years super bowl was an absolute travesty in my opinion. I would take Led Zeppelin 100 out of 100 times over anything with Cee Lo or LMFAO in it. I mean, Madonna was bad enough, but at least shes a legend herself.

However, there is a reason why those pop tarts are selling records, and its because they have mass appeal. The designers of the superbowl have to appeal to a very large and diversified audience, that is why huge commercial successes always end up playing.

I do get your argument, youd like to see someone with a more appealing musical quality, I would as well. I would personally take Slayer over the Black Eyed Peas or MIA any day of the week. However, how many people watching the super bowl would make that choice? That is the question every person involved with the organization of the event has to answer before they settle on somebody.

Speaking of this....what about stadium rock? I find it odd a group like Queen, Journey or Foreigner have never been asked to do this.
I love the groups like Journey, Chicago, Queen, and Foreigner but they fall into a category where they also have a niche audience. As much as I hate it, the best sales and popularity in the US for music is country by a landslide. More than 50% of the population (not including myself) listens to country regularly. This far exceeds any other genre of music. Now i'm not at all delusional and I know Slayer playing the big game is a dream not a reality but i'd like to see them change it up. I'm tired of the compromises with rock and metal. I don't want to see the Foo Fighters performing on any award show or a sporting event like a super bowl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2012, 08:57 AM
 
7,611 posts, read 9,467,758 times
Reputation: 8981
How about complete silence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2012, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,198,016 times
Reputation: 2488
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
How about complete silence?
That would be better than 9 out of every 10 they choose. How about having a halftime show of the ORIGINAL BUD BOWL or they can move the Puppy Bowl from animal planet in for halftime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2012, 11:12 AM
 
506 posts, read 969,454 times
Reputation: 294
How about the recently reunited Spice Girls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 07:32 AM
 
Location: Yucaipa, California
9,735 posts, read 18,450,812 times
Reputation: 6437
Pink floyd or ringo starr. Rumor has it that van halen may perform. Some idiots want to see carrie underwood, taylor swift, justine beiber or JLO the fur ho perform. UGH!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 09:50 AM
 
32,532 posts, read 30,703,496 times
Reputation: 32350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
How about complete silence?
Only if prayer is allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2012, 12:55 AM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,198,016 times
Reputation: 2488
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Only if prayer is allowed.
Only if the prayer is for no one named Lady Gaga, Madonna, or anyone like them performing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top