Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:57 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times

Advertisements

He was fun to watch.

LaDainian Tomlinson Highlights - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 11:08 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
He may be the second most exciting back I got to watch live next to Sanders.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:12 AM

I was fortunate to see him play twice in 2006. The first time was in Denver where he had 4 TDs that night and the 2nd was against KC in San Diego where he busted off the longest run of his career, 85 yards.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:15 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times
Sure Fire HOF... Without knowing his numbers, I"m not sure if he's first ballot, but definitely no later than 2nd ballot.

Great back.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:00 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,370 times
Congrats on a great career------I would agree a surefire HOF-----very well could be first ballot.

Besides being a great back, and a good receiver, he was a good teammate. He is an amicable man---very likeable---and well respected.

Its always great to see greatness rewarded with recognition----its always better when athletic greatness is combined with just being a decent person----and Mr. Tomlinson is indeed a solid guy.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:10 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
He should be a first ballot HOF, no questions.

Always tough to see a legend go.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:33 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
I would say that he also benefitted as a 'system' back, with a good offensive line to compliment him. Not especially flashy, but great three way overall back. That he was never on a Super Bowl winner might preclude him from a first ballot entry. When you think of the greats, the elusive backs, or the bulldozers, freakish athletes, Tomlinson was not one of those. The truly special athletes as RBs are the ones who generally claim the first ballot if they did not win a championship. I am thinking Sayers, Sanders, Simpson, or Earl Campbell. Tomlinson was more of a Curtis Martin-type, generic RB, with great statistics due to consistency and longevity.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I would say that he also benefitted as a 'system' back, with a good offensive line to compliment him. Not especially flashy, but great three way overall back. That he was never on a Super Bowl winner might preclude him from a first ballot entry. When you think of the greats, the elusive backs, or the bulldozers, freakish athletes, Tomlinson was not one of those. The truly special athletes as RBs are the ones who generally claim the first ballot if they did not win a championship. I am thinking Sayers, Sanders, Simpson, or Earl Campbell. Tomlinson was more of a Curtis Martin-type, generic RB, with great statistics due to consistency and longevity.
I will have to respectfully disagree. LT did benefit having Lo Neal as a fullback but other than that he was extremely dynamic. I can't put Curtis Martin in the same league as LT. I don't even know how Martin got into the HOF. Here is my top 5 RB of all time.

1) Barry Sanders
2) Jim Brown
3) Marcus Allen
4) Marshall Faulk
5) LT

To me LT and Faulk are interchangeable because they were basically the same type of back.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:27 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I will have to respectfully disagree. LT did benefit having Lo Neal as a fullback but other than that he was extremely dynamic. I can't put Curtis Martin in the same league as LT. I don't even know how Martin got into the HOF. Here is my top 5 RB of all time.

1) Barry Sanders
2) Jim Brown
3) Marcus Allen
4) Marshall Faulk
5) LT

To me LT and Faulk are interchangeable because they were basically the same type of back.
Marshall was much more dynamic than LT... I consider LT more of a work horse back. He was just consistent... which is a lot like Curtis Martin. LT's highlight film would be a bunch of 2 yard TD runs. While Faulks would be jaw-dropping long TD's. big difference...

And you have Marcus Allan way too high... he had one big game in the Super Bowl. That's it.

To have LT above Eric Dickerson, Emmit Smith, and Walter Payton is a sham.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Marshall was much more dynamic than LT... I consider LT more of a work horse back. He was just consistent... which is a lot like Curtis Martin. LT's highlight film would be a bunch of 2 yard TD runs. While Faulks would be jaw-dropping long TD's. big difference...

And you have Marcus Allan way too high... he had one big game in the Super Bowl. That's it.

To have LT above Eric Dickerson, Emmit Smith, and Walter Payton is a sham.
I agree about Dickerson and Payton but I have never bought into Smith.

And yes I have Allen way too high. I would replace Allen with Payton and move Allen down the list. It is hard to put these lists together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football