U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 06:08 AM

8,163 posts, read 13,181,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Barry Sanders was a great RB, one of the best ever and easy to see how some have him rated above Emmitt Smith..
But for those who think Sanders was WAY better than Emmitt, I remind them...

Sanders had -1 yards in a playoff game.. -1! Barry was all or nothing. Home run or strikeout...
That's what happens when your team isn't normally willing to pass the ball. When you have 5-10 guys coming after you instead of the normal 2-3 it also takes its toll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 06:38 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,221,188 times
There is no doubt that the Packers were geared to stopping Barry in that game.. no doubt. But surely the greatest RB of all time can muster up more than -1 yard? I am willing to give him a pass on that game but games like that are why I don't put Sanders in a league BY HIMSELF...

Its not like the DBs were turning the backs on Emmitt and running with Irvin or Harper on every play. They knew Emmitt was gonna get the ball 75% of the time. They certainly could not load the box like the Pack did against the Lions in '94 but they still keyed on Emmitt..

Old 06-26-2012, 06:50 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,412,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
If you re-read all of my and your statements, I comment that Emmitt had a better bunch of guys during his career. All you did was point out 1 year and told me Detroit was better then. Please, read between the lines. I'll make it easy. During the course of both of their total careers, Emmitt's team had much better players to help him out. If you want to argue about one year, it just shows that you are petty. It's not about me complaining or whining. It's about you being a Dallas fan and losing an argument about your star running back. The point: Barry was better than Emmitt during his career!
Dude... I have my top ten backs posted a few pages back. I have Barrry ranked ahead of Emmit! So who's the one who needs to re-read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
1) Jim Brown
2) Barry Sanders
3) Emmit Smith
4) Walter Payton
5) OJ Simpson
6) Marshall Faulk
7) Gale Sayers
8) Eric Dickerson
9) Tony Dorsett
10) Earl Campbell

You are just trying to say Emmit sucks... Even going as far to say he hit the lotto and didnt earn his accolades.

and thats just not true! So your hate for Dallas is preventing you from thinking clearly and being objective.

Last edited by Mr. GE; 06-26-2012 at 07:22 AM..

Old 06-26-2012, 12:12 PM

21,494 posts, read 11,595,731 times
To the folks saying Gayle Sayers, I guess length of career and durability doesn't count then? We better throw Bo Jackson into this mix then. For a short time he was the best I ever saw.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
To the folks saying Gayle Sayers, I guess length of career and durability doesn't count then? We better throw Bo Jackson into this mix then. For a short time he was the best I ever saw.

You cannot be serious?

Sayers was a 5 x all pro, 4 x pro bowler, 2 x rushing champion, ROY, and there's that measly 6 TD game. Sayers had 9,435 total yards and 54 TD's in 5 years!!! let me repeat that... 5 years!!!

His career was cut short but that's still a career!

Bo Jackson's only accolade is one pro bowl. He has 3K total yards and 18 TD's by comparison to Sayers.

You may wanna rethink that statement... Sayers most certainly deserves to be mentioned among the greatest ever... Bo does not!

Last edited by Mr. GE; 06-26-2012 at 12:52 PM..

Old 06-26-2012, 01:21 PM

8,114 posts, read 17,321,756 times
Regarding Emmitt Smith's greatness, I might suggest that like other NFL rb's, Smith had comparatively few highlights of spectacular runs because of the overall efficiency of the Dallas Cowboys teams of the early 1990s. I write this as a Giants fan who has watched the Giants since 1975. Emmitt Smith was the center piece behind what I consider, to this day, to be the finest overall team I've ever seen, from 1 to 22, both sides of the ball. We have brought up the skill position players, rightfully so, Irvin, Aikman, Harper, Novacek. Let's now consider the real heart of this team. The heart really was: Stepnoski, Newton, Tuinei, Erik Williams, and Kevin Gogan. In case some do not recognize these players, this was the offensive line assembled by the Cowboys front office. The offensive line is what really made the Cowboys the unit it was.

I think of the Landry-based Cowboys of the 70s, and that team won with a vast playbook, trickery, motion, deception. The early 90s Cowboys were about as subtle as an 800 pound gorilla farting in a phone booth. I maintain this team would have blown the 70s Cowboys and Tony Dorsett's offense off the field. Unlike their predecessors, this team had, by their own admission, about 4 offensive running plays. Opposing defenses knew what was coming. The Cowboys philosophy was: "This is what we are going to run, everyone in the building knows it as well, now try to stop us." To me, this is really the esssence of defining greatness. Now, was this a product of Emmitt Smith's brilliance, or the offensive line? One could argue it was both. There was a perfect blend of balance on that team. Aikman could accurately thrown 25 yard square outs through a small window of space. Or, Smith could line up, power offset I, and have Daryl "Moose" Johnston as a de facto extra lineman, riding herd, into those 5 studs up front. This team's philosophy traveled: they could face up in cold Green Bay as well as a dome.

Barry Sanders offense was not geared that way. Referring to that -1 yard game against the Packers, I would love to see a compilation of Sanders stats in home dome-based games, versus the cold, slippery track of an outdoor game in December, in Chicago, or Green Bay.

This is where football really illustrates, with some sublty, the difference between a team-based game, where no one individual stands out, versus a game where an individual had to make, by necessity, Herculean plays that stand out for years in NFL Films lore. You have to remember, with OJ, for instance, that the best team he ever played on was a 9-5 team. Sanders had that one solid team in 1991. Gale Sayers, too, the best team he was on was his rookie 9-5 team in 1965. His last real season in 1969, the team was 1-13. Emmitt Smith, in contrast, suffered a 7-9 season in 1990. The remainder of his prime years were also the Dallas Cowboys prime years. In fact, save for a bad first quarter in the 1994 NFC Championship game in San Francisco, this team wins 4 straight Super Bowls. I argue that if not for free agency, Brett Favre would never have seen a Super Bowl as the Cowboys, not the Packers, would have won the NFC in 1996 and probably 1997 as well. That's how loaded that team was, even with their second team defensive players that were lost to free agency.

Emmitt Smith was most definitely a beneficiary of this dominance, but I would also argue that he was a round peg in a Cowboys offensive scheme, as much as Aikman was the quarterback, or those 5 offensive linemen worked as a team unit.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:25 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,258,900 times
Quote:

To some longevity, constancy, durability, permanence means nothing when evaluating someone's career.

Again to me, to be recognized as one of the greats you had to have had at least 7 very good/ great seasons.

Maybe in Football these so called experts see it as less/differently. These standards would never fly in the other major sports.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:08 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
Quote:
OP asked about the best back, not the best career.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:11 PM

21,494 posts, read 11,595,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
You cannot be serious?

Sayers was a 5 x all pro, 4 x pro bowler, 2 x rushing champion, ROY, and there's that measly 6 TD game. Sayers had 9,435 total yards and 54 TD's in 5 years!!! let me repeat that... 5 years!!!

His career was cut short but that's still a career!
Sayers didn't have this brute strength and power and I question if he had this speed.

Turn down the sound.

THE LEGEND Bo Jackson - YouTube

Old 06-26-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Sayers didn't have this brute strength and power and I question if he had this speed.

Turn down the sound.

THE LEGEND Bo Jackson - YouTube
This has nothing to do what you originally posted... Nice backpedal.

You originally questioned Sayers credentials equating them to Bo Jackson's. Sayers number dwarf Bo's... In the same amt of time.

No doubt Bo is bigger, stronger, and faster. I didn't say anything contrary to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football