U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:39 AM

20,419 posts, read 37,715,555 times

Advertisements

Best... favorite... whatever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 07:50 AM

5,637 posts, read 4,231,097 times
It just so happens that my favorite is truly one of the best ever.. and that's not just my opinion.. That's the opinion of the NFL HOF Fame voters.. first ballot. go figure.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:48 AM

8,117 posts, read 17,344,995 times
It's a shame we can't gauge a career on the 3 years, because if you could, short of Jim Brown (who I was not old enough to watch) I don't know if one RB ever dominated so much as Earl Campbell did from 1978 to 1980. I've never seen anything like it since. Of course, one cannot run with that type of abandon for any length of career without suffering debilitating injury, and that's precisely what happened to him. During the height of his career, with Dan Pastorini as QB, he faced almost continuous 9 man fronts, and it did not matter. He still dominated week in, week out.

In 37 years of watching NFL, the single most dominant RB I've ever seen, albiet, for a very short time.

Sanders is #2, totally different style, but after Earl, he would be the second most spectacular RB I've seen. Payton would be right there with him.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:22 AM

577 posts, read 829,399 times
I'm ashamed to admit I had forgotten about Campbell. You're right though he was awesome for a few years there. While most of the other backs that have been mentioned were slashers or speedsters, Campbell was just a flat out bruiser. Guy was tough to tackle, the perfect 'up the gut" runner.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:39 AM

23,655 posts, read 33,482,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Blue View Post
How about Gale Sayers. He only played like 6 or 7 years I believe, however he was a dominant player during that time. A great back...The best ever? He may have not played long enough to be included, but since the original post was simply for the best back ever, rather than career accomplishments, I think he should at least be brought into the conversation.

Of course we could add O.J. Simpson as well. I realize his football career has been completely over shadowed, however he was a heck of a running back, and played on a team that had few weapons. Everybody knew he would be getting the ball 30 times a game. He still had great stats despite that.
To be honest the top guys to me are Sanders, J. Brown, and Payton. The next tier down are guys like E. Smith, Dickerson, etc. I'd put Sayers and Tomlinson in the latter tier and not the former.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:41 AM

8,117 posts, read 17,344,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Blue View Post
I'm ashamed to admit I had forgotten about Campbell. You're right though he was awesome for a few years there. While most of the other backs that have been mentioned were slashers or speedsters, Campbell was just a flat out bruiser. Guy was tough to tackle, the perfect 'up the gut" runner.
He was ranked only 55 in the all time NFL list. Imagine if he had 2-3 more healthy seasons:

NFL Films Top 100 Greatest Players #55 Earl Campbell - HD, HQ - YouTube

Old 06-20-2012, 04:06 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,416,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Agreed, I have my favorite and you have yours. I never argue that Barry was not one of the greatest of All Time, yet I am always defending Emmitt as one of the greatest. Absurd to have the argument without Emmitt..
period...

I'm wtih you 100%. It's just ridiculous.

Anyone that played against Emmit will tell you how great he was. How hard to bring down he was. How versatile he was. How he did not get tackled by the first man. How he broke tons of tackles. How well he picked up the blitz. and How he led and was unquestionably the leader of the HOF laden Cowboys... that in itself says it all.

In '93 when the Cowboys were trying to defend their title. He didnt play the first 2 games. What happened? The Cowboys lost both games... Once he came back, they only lost two more games the rest of the season (one of them being the infamous Thanksgiving lost to the Dolphins where Lett touched the blocked FG) He meant that much to the team! His credentials are not debatable.

He is one of the greatest backs ever. period...

Old 06-20-2012, 08:35 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,887,075 times
Say what you want, but if we are talking about Sanders vs. Smith the winner is Sanders hands down. Played on a number of mediocre to bad Lions teams. Roughly 1,400 less rushing attempts than Smith. Both had a very similar attempts/game and Sanders had a higher avg carry and avg total per game.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:17 AM

1,815 posts, read 1,762,332 times
Sanders was an explosive back, and sooner or later you knew that he would break a big one on you.

Yet for consistency and production game in and game out, I would go with Walter Payton.

I am a Packer fan from Wisconsin, so endorsing a Bear for best ever is no easy task.

It was torture watching Payton light up the Pack----but indeed he was the best I have ever seen---a joy to watch----and never stopped grinding until the play was over.

No---not a Bears fan----but indeed a huge Walter Payton admirer----RIP.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:21 AM

570 posts, read 494,614 times
Hands down Payton....no argument here...he played with out an Oline for most of his carrer...even smith and sanders agree it was payton...probably the greatest football player ever...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football