U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 03:52 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,782,292 times

Advertisements

If you compare stats between Bettis and Martin they are very similar. I think they are both more a reflection of longevity than greatness. They were both excellent backs, but I don't think either one is top ten discussion worthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 05:41 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,261,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
If numbers don't tell the story then why do you keep quoting Martin's?

Martin played 2 more games than OJ did EVERY year... That adds up to almost 2 seasons more worth of games

The eyeball test favors OJ... it's ok for you to like Martin better as a preference. But to try to say he was better is blasphemy. He clearly was not... Hence a first ballot vs a second.

When OJ was elected to the Hall in 1985 he was the only RB that made it as a finalist easy pickens.

When Martin was 1st eligible last year he was going against Marshall Faulk and Bettis and I already said earlier that Falulk was better. Take away Faulk, Martin would have been a 1st ballot also. The Hall hardly ever puts two players from the same position in the same year.

Ok, like you said like take away the numbers.

Martin once played through a season with two severely sprained ankles. He played through another even though a ligament was tearing away from the bone in his buttocks. He played two consecutive seasons with torn knee ligaments that did not slow him down one bit. Do you remember the Jets opening game in 2002

OJ had world class speed and a natural gifted athlete. He was a prima donna. It took years before he developed.

How do you define greatness?.... I define it as work ethic, longevity, consistency, dedication, toughness, tenacity, character, durability..... This would favor Martin ........but:

If you like a natural gifted, incredibly fast, elusive athlete then of course it would be OJ.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:53 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,414,554 times
14 vs 16 games a year...

4 yards per carry to 4.7...

An NFL MVP to none...

6 pro bowls to 5...

Not to mention when OJ played the opposing team knew he was getting the ball every play... And still couldn't stop him.

You all are letting your dislike of OJ clutter your judgement. Or you all are related to Martin... Cause nothing else makes lucid and logical sense.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:40 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,261,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
14 vs 16 games a year...

4 yards per carry to 4.7...

An NFL MVP to none...

6 pro bowls to 5...

Not to mention when OJ played the opposing team knew he was getting the ball every play... And still couldn't stop him.

You all are letting your dislike of OJ clutter your judgement. Or you all are related to Martin... Cause nothing else makes lucid and logical sense.
The more you type the more your proving my point

14 vs 16......I love that fact. Do you really think a RB wants to play more games? They get pounded so bad, that by the end of the season, they are physically and mentally incapacitated . Of course the YPC are going to go down. I also believe that the defenses and athletes in general are bigger and stronger in Martin's era than OJ's. Longer seasons, bigger stronger defense-men and Martin still manged to play in 119 consecutive games despite all of his injuries. Martin Like OJ played on some bad teams but Martin never ever gave up, played through injuries and finished out every single run. This man had heart,pride, class, etc.

If I remember correctly which one of the two won Rookie of the year? Which made an immediate impact for their team?

Martin had to work hard for what he accomplished and worked hard he did. He wasn't as naturally gifted as OJ but that didn't stop him on having a HOF career. Work ethic builds character something OJ knows nothing about. It's hard to measure a man's heart and desire but I say Martin hands down has more then Juice.

I'm done man.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:03 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,414,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
The more you type the more your proving my point

14 vs 16......I love that fact. Do you really think a RB wants to play more games? They get pounded so bad, that by the end of the season, they are physically and mentally incapacitated . Of course the YPC are going to go down. I also believe that the defenses and athletes in general are bigger and stronger in Martin's era than OJ's. Longer seasons, bigger stronger defense-men and Martin still manged to play in 119 consecutive games despite all of his injuries. Martin Like OJ played on some bad teams but Martin never ever gave up, played through injuries and finished out every single run. This man had heart,pride, class, etc.

If I remember correctly which one of the two won Rookie of the year? Which made an immediate impact for their team?

Martin had to work hard for what he accomplished and worked hard he did. He wasn't as naturally gifted as OJ but that didn't stop him on having a HOF career. Work ethic builds character something OJ knows nothing about. It's hard to measure a man's heart and desire but I say Martin hands down has more then Juice.

I'm done man.
No... Im not proving your point.

No objective person would say Curtis Martin is a top 10 back. Much less that he is better than OJ.

Martin played in 53 more games and had over 1100 more carries than OJ... Yet only has 25 more TDs and 3K more yards... this comparison is a joke.

It's obvious you are prejudice for Martin over OJ. And even when faced with undeniable facts, you continue to try and justify your unrational preference by using unmeasurable reasons. Like heart and work ethic.

yea, you should be done trying to prove that.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:52 PM

3,177 posts, read 4,641,767 times
I don't know what the argument is between Curtis Martin and OJ. Neither were the talent of Barry Sanders. You talk about OJ being keyed on. Name one even remotely decent quarterback for the Lions when Barry was there. There was no lonelier feeling in professional sports than a defensive back stranded one on one in the flat with Barry Sanders. It wasn't a question of whether you were going to get beat. It was a question of how bad you were about to be humiliated. You had a better chance of catching a rabbit in your back yard than tackling Barry Sanders one on one in the open field.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:37 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,224,936 times
When I first saw the HOF voting results this year I was surprised to see Martin had made it.. then I went and looked at his stats.. WOW! How did I miss his career? He did his work very quietly.. OJ was not quiet, in fact he was the NFL in the mid 70s. I distinctly remember the chant from a MNF game; "Miami's got the Orange, but we got the Juice". That's was awesome. What OJ did in '73 was the single greatest season for a running back that I have ever seen and that alone puts above most on the greatest RB list.

I don't think its fair to compare runners from different ERAs like OJ to Curtis Martin but I do agree if you were doing an eyeball test, the winner is OJ. I also agree that Curtis Martin is the most under rated RB of all time... When you look at his stats, you simply think.. when did he do that?? I must have slept through a whole decade of NFL.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I don't know what the argument is between Curtis Martin and OJ. Neither were the talent of Barry Sanders. You talk about OJ being keyed on. Name one even remotely decent quarterback for the Lions when Barry was there. There was no lonelier feeling in professional sports than a defensive back stranded one on one in the flat with Barry Sanders. It wasn't a question of whether you were going to get beat. It was a question of how bad you were about to be humiliated. You had a better chance of catching a rabbit in your back yard than tackling Barry Sanders one on one in the open field.

Barry was great... top 3 easily. One of the things that hurts his case for being the BEST RB EVER in my eyes are his postseason stats. He was terrible in the postseason.. there is just no other way to put it.. he stunk!!! He certainly was never on a Super Bowl caliber team but his teams did make the post season. In fact, the Lions made the postseason 5 times in Barry's 10 seasons. Without Barry they likely never make postseason those years...

Still, Barry had very POOR postseason numbers... so I ask you this. Was Barry padding his stats against poor teams in the regular season? Because he certainly was NOT the SAME back in the post season against the BEST teams???

Old 06-25-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebx28 View Post
Nice list but emmit is not number 3. Dude he like 11 or something. If I get a millions dollars by lotto and u get it by hard work. Is it the same ? Does one deserve it it more? Come on guys. In this case the lotto winner is probably going to lose it all cause he did not earn it. Same with emmit. He should not be on this list Marcus depee was better. But never made it to nfl.

Barry my number one.
If you don't think Emmitt EARNED the numbers he put up, you clearly never watched him play. Personally, I think that ANY RB who ever played in the NFL EARNED every damn yard he ever gained... this aint flag football, this is tackle!!! I get that Barry is your favorite and he certainly has an argument to be #1 on any ones list but statements like this reveal your true character.... you hate Emmitt and the Cowboys... You loose all credibility if when say DUMB things like this..

The NFL Network was replaying the Cowboys vs Giants season finally from 1993 over the weekend... go watch it and report back and then tell me Emmitt won a lottery.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:04 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,881,732 times
You can say what you want about OJ Simpson as a person.

But as an NFL running back, he was great and one of the best ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football