Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 10:45 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,959,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Of the backs I've seen, Payton is clearly the best although I do remember seeing Sayers as well and the only reason I wouldn't put him ahead of Payton would be the durability factor. Sayers was a ninja sword compared to Payton's battle-axe. However, the statistics and historical accolades would indicate that Jim Brown was a cut above all of them.

Yes, and had Jim Brown played more than 9 seasons, and played a 16 game schedule, none of the others would have been able to touch him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 10:52 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,180,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Emmitt was definitely a solid running back but HE WAS NO BARRY SANDERS!!! Emmitt had a QB. Because of this, the Cowboys could fake the other team out because the defense guarded against the pass and the run. When teams faced the Lions they mostly just had to guard against the run, but Barry was still able to attain his numbers.
Thats not 100% true. Sanders played on some really crappy Lions passing offenses, 1989-1994 left a whole lot to be desired most seasons, but he also played on good to average passing teams from 1995-1998.

Smith also played on a number of crappy passing teams, and some truly putrid offenses. Actually, outside of the Cowboys glory years, 91-95, the Cowboys only managed to be top half in the league in offense just 1 other year during Smiths tenure. They spent 6 years ranked in the bottom 10 of the NFL in total offense, just as many as the top 10. It is true, Sanders Lions only had 2 years where they were top 10 in offense during the Mitchell aerial days, but they were rarely as putrid as the 96-97 Cowboys and never as putrid as the 1990 Cowboys, or the Hutchinson/Carter Cowboys in the early 2000's.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:21 PM

18,194 posts, read 25,763,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Yes, and had Jim Brown played more than 9 seasons, and played a 16 game schedule, none of the others would have been able to touch him.
Bingo! A few words on Jim Brown.

In the NFL Network's "Top 100 Players in NFL History" Jim Brown came in at #2 (Jerry Rice finishing at #1.). In various other football related publications going back decades from Sports Illustrated to Sporting News to various other sources Jim Brown was always noted at the top regarding the best player.

From 1957 to 1959 the NFL played a 12 game schedule. That's 12 games right there.

From 1960 to 1965 the NFL played a 14 game schedule. That's another 12 games.

Twenty four games-that's a full season and a half right there.

In his second season in a 12 game schedule he rushed for 1527 yards and scored 17 touchdowns.

In 9 seasons he had a rushing average of 5.2 a carry. I'd have to do some research with the Elias Sports Bureau to see if that's the NFL record. (No.1Brownsfan, is that right?)

Didn't miss a game in his 9 year NFL career. Not one.

Three people were primarily responsible for turning America from a baseball watching nation to a football watching nation: Vince Lombardi, John Unitas, and Jim Brown.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:43 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,959,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Bingo! A few words on Jim Brown.

In the NFL Network's "Top 100 Players in NFL History" Jim Brown came in at #2 (Jerry Rice finishing at #1.). In various other football related publications going back decades from Sports Illustrated to Sporting News to various other sources Jim Brown was always noted at the top regarding the best player.

From 1957 to 1959 the NFL played a 12 game schedule. That's 12 games right there.

From 1960 to 1965 the NFL played a 14 game schedule. That's another 12 games.

Twenty four games-that's a full season and a half right there.

In his second season in a 12 game schedule he rushed for 1527 yards and scored 17 touchdowns.

In 9 seasons he had a rushing average of 5.2 a carry. I'd have to do some research with the Elias Sports Bureau to see if that's the NFL record. (No.1Brownsfan, is that right?)

Didn't miss a game in his 9 year NFL career. Not one.

Three people were primarily responsible for turning America from a baseball watching nation to a football watching nation: Vince Lombardi, John Unitas, and Jim Brown.

Yes that stat sounds about right.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
Jim Brown. No question.

I loved Sweetness... but Jim Brown.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:19 AM

25,803 posts, read 16,451,635 times
I don't really know if he was the best, but Walter Payton was my all time favorite. The way that man would bounce back up after really big hits was awe inspiring. He would never let someone know they hurt him, even though you knew he was hurting big time from some of those hits he took.

I honestly feel bad for the youngsters who didn't get a chance to see him play. As a Vikings fan I had so much respect for the guy. He was way too good to be a Bear

Old 06-23-2012, 08:40 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,885,885 times
1) Jim Brown
2) Barry Sanders
3) Emmit Smith
4) Walter Payton
5) OJ Simpson
6) Marshall Faulk
7) Gale Sayers
8) Eric Dickerson
9) Tony Dorsett
10) Earl Campbell

Old 06-23-2012, 09:25 AM

657 posts, read 715,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
1) Jim Brown
2) Barry Sanders
3) Emmit Smith
4) Walter Payton
5) OJ Simpson
6) Marshall Faulk
7) Gale Sayers
8) Eric Dickerson
9) Tony Dorsett
10) Earl Campbell
Nice list but emmit is not number 3. Dude he like 11 or something. If I get a millions dollars by lotto and u get it by hard work. Is it the same ? Does one deserve it it more? Come on guys. In this case the lotto winner is probably going to lose it all cause he did not earn it. Same with emmit. He should not be on this list Marcus depee was better. But never made it to nfl.

Barry my number one.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:12 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,885,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebx28 View Post
Nice list but emmit is not number 3. Dude he like 11 or something. If I get a millions dollars by lotto and u get it by hard work. Is it the same ? Does one deserve it it more? Come on guys. In this case the lotto winner is probably going to lose it all cause he did not earn it. Same with emmit. He should not be on this list Marcus depee was better. But never made it to nfl.

Barry my number one.
When Emmit graduated high school he held the record for most yards in the Nation!

He was an all-American on a horrible Florida team in college...

15 consistent years in the NFL with 3 rings, 1 Regular season MVP, and 1 Super Bowl MVP along with being 1st in TDs, yards, and career 100 games.

U may not like Emmit... But the man earned everything he has accomplished

Dude

Old 06-23-2012, 12:07 PM

18,194 posts, read 25,763,135 times
Default Thoughts on Marcus Dupree

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebx28 View Post
Marcus depee was better. But never made it to nfl.

One of these days I'm going to start a thread regarding the woulda-coulda-shouldas; in the case of Marcus Dupree, he not only fits this category, but he could surely fit in the category of greatest running backs---if only.

And the "if only" was a horrible knee injury, one that today's knee surgeons might not be able to sustain a young man's career like Marcus.

He got out of the gate like a stallion. As a freshman at Oklahoma he was named 2nd team All-American at running back. The guy was amazing. Sadly after a couple years he fell out of favor with the Oklahoma coaching staff (namely Barry Switzer), left Oklahoma and went to Southern Miss. I can't remember all the particulars, but if memory serves he was docked by the NCAA for a year because of that move (eligibility problem perhaps?)

Anyway, the USFL took him in and he signed with the New Orleans Breakers. Sadly that awful injury shelved him. I give credit to him as four years later he boldly attempted a comeback by the urging of Bear great Walter Payton. (!) He was signed by the L.A. Rams but sadly only played a season and a half, and by 1992 that was it.

A couple years back ESPN made a solid documentary on their "ESPN 30 for 30" program, telling about the Marcus Dupree story. Sad, he coulda been one of the greats.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-23-2012 at 12:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football