U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2012, 09:41 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 10,070,478 times
Reputation: 7456

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
1. It's 3rd and 11, your team really needs a first down and when the QB of your team goes to step back and throw, he only throws a 5 yd pass because he doesn't want to get hit and then the receiver has to go 7 more yds for the 1st down and gets tackled and then your team has to punt.


2. Your team is on defense and they need a stop to get back in the game and the QB throws a long pass and the referee waits to see if the pass is completed and when it's not he throws a flag giving that team a new set of downs and your defense has to remain on the field



Are these things the main two things about watching a NFL game that causes your blood pressure to rise?

The first one for sure is a weekly occurence with my team!

 
Old 08-27-2012, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
32,364 posts, read 59,796,813 times
Reputation: 54006
Annoying thing #1 about the NFL: The Baltimore Ravens
Annoying thing #2 about the NFL: The Pittsburgh Steelers



Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
The first one for sure is a weekly occurence with my team!
Alas, yes ... *sigh* But that's fodder for another thread.
 
Old 08-27-2012, 10:27 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 10,070,478 times
Reputation: 7456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Annoying thing #1 about the NFL: The Baltimore Ravens
Annoying thing #2 about the NFL: The Pittsburgh Steelers




Alas, yes ... *sigh* But that's fodder for another thread.

Oh yeah, I forgot those first 2 annoyances! LOL!
 
Old 08-27-2012, 11:18 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,276,243 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
This can be frustrating, but watching the QB force a throw 13 yards downfield only to have to pass intercepted is much more frustrating. Sometimes that 5 yard dump off is all that is open. Defenders get paid too.

I still believe in trying to get the 1st down and i;m ok with risking a INT so the 1st down can be made. When he just gives up because no receiver is open at the moment and throws a lazy 5 yd pass then that means he is not committed to driving the team to a score. Now if it's 2nd and 11 and the QB throws a 5 yd pass then that;'s ok because you have another down. But on the last down the goal is always to try and get the 1st down and doing whatever it takes to accomplish that.
 
Old 08-27-2012, 02:25 PM
 
21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Reputation: 19604
I can't believe no one has mentioned the predictable slow-motion handoff to the running back who runs into the middle of the formation for a one yard gain....over and over again. It's particularly stroke-inducing within the 10 yard line, leading to a field goal after two attempts and an overthrow to a wide open receiver on third down.
 
Old 08-27-2012, 02:44 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,276,243 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I can't believe no one has mentioned the predictable slow-motion handoff to the running back who runs into the middle of the formation for a one yard gain....over and over again. It's particularly stroke-inducing within the 10 yard line, leading to a field goal after two attempts and an overthrow to a wide open receiver on third down.
Or when a running back "TIP TOES" into a hole on 3rd and 1 and is tackled resulting in your team punting the ball.
 
Old 08-27-2012, 03:15 PM
 
Location: In The Thin Air
12,278 posts, read 8,081,631 times
Reputation: 8917
The only thing that annoys me about football right now is Norv Turner.
 
Old 08-27-2012, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,743,505 times
Reputation: 2806
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
1. It's 3rd and 11, your team really needs a first down and when the QB of your team goes to step back and throw, he only throws a 5 yd pass because he doesn't want to get hit and then the receiver has to go 7 more yds for the 1st down and gets tackled and then your team has to punt.
You do realize that football is a sport of field position and that punting can be one of the best things you can do? That 5 yards could be the difference between the other team's offense scoring or not.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
2. Your team is on defense and they need a stop to get back in the game and the QB throws a long pass and the referee waits to see if the pass is completed and when it's not he throws a flag giving that team a new set of downs and your defense has to remain on the field.
It was either going to be a completion or penalty. Why flag the defense when it is going to be declined?
 
Old 08-27-2012, 03:32 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,276,243 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
You do realize that football is a sport of field position and that punting can be one of the best things you can do? That 5 yards could be the difference between the other team's offense scoring or not.




It was either going to be a completion or penalty. Why flag the defense when it is going to be declined?

I said if the ball hits the ground and you expect your team to get the ball back they don't because the ref throws a bogus flag to KEEP THE DRIVE ALIVE for the other team.
 
Old 08-27-2012, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
32,364 posts, read 59,796,813 times
Reputation: 54006
You know what's really annoying? Refs using instant replay to make an increasing number of situations. The coach's challenge is downright asinine. Either train these refs properly, and make the teams suck up the refs' decisions like adults, or get rid of them altogether and make it a big ol' free for all.

Hey ... that was kinda fun. Wonder what else I can come up with ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top