U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 10:57 PM

325 posts, read 990,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanInSF View Post
Chad Johnson epitomizes the hip-hop buffoonery that plagues the nation now. Doesn't fit with a championship team like the Patriots. Do you see Moss acting like such an idiot? Absolutely not.
Hip Hop buffoonery.....as an africian americian I tend to take that as a racist remark....

Chad Johnson works hard every down plays hard every game....so what he likes to have some fun when he scores a touchdown. Who cares that he hangs up a checklist in locker room? I think Chad truly loves the game he just has an outgoing personality. He never does anything to offend others. He is what I would call a class clown.

Wasnt Randy Moss the guy that pretended to "moon" the fans? Thats just rude. I would call that acting like an idiot. Someone wearing a jacket that says HOF....with a question mark for the year is just funny.

There a far worse in the NFL than Chad Johnson.....far worse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 04:47 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,545,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspolamalu View Post
Hip Hop buffoonery.....as an africian americian I tend to take that as a racist remark....

Chad Johnson works hard every down plays hard every game....so what he likes to have some fun when he scores a touchdown. Who cares that he hangs up a checklist in locker room? I think Chad truly loves the game he just has an outgoing personality. He never does anything to offend others. He is what I would call a class clown.

Wasnt Randy Moss the guy that pretended to "moon" the fans? Thats just rude. I would call that acting like an idiot. Someone wearing a jacket that says HOF....with a question mark for the year is just funny.

There a far worse in the NFL than Chad Johnson.....far worse
No, it's not racist. The man is a buffoon and I for one am not amused by yet another black player acting like a clown. Maybe he should play for the Falcons and continue the legacy of buffonery that lingers from Deion "Orangutan" Sanders. When I watch someone score a touchdown, I'm not looking for "Amateur Night At The Apollo" in some ridiculous celebration immediately afterwards.

The man is a poster boy for the "Celebration of Ignorance", as represented musically by hip-hop.

Last edited by LexusNexus; 10-20-2007 at 05:43 PM..

Old 10-20-2007, 05:41 PM

1,640 posts, read 4,230,174 times
I am not going to get in on the racial debate, but it seems like Chad Johnson has matured a little in the last year or two. However, why would the Patriots need another wide receiver, especially one with price tag like Johnson.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanInSF View Post
No, it's not racist. The man is a buffoon and I for one am not amused by yet another black player acting like a clown. Maybe he should play for the Falcons and continue the legacy of buffonery that lingers from Deion "Orangutan" Sanders. When I watch someone score a touchdown, I'm not looking for "Amateur Night At The Apollo" in some ridiculous celebration immediately afterwards.

The man is a poster boy for the "Celebration of Ignorance", as represented musically by hip-hop.
You can try to justify this as much as you want, but this is as racist a statement as I've ever heard on this forum. And it gets worse when you add poster boy for the celebration of ignorance. Im not going to get into a huge hip hop debate. I have three boys they love hip hop as do many of their friends, yes the language is inappropriate at times and yes rappers tend to degrade women and all the hoopla that we are already aware of. However, if it is catchy and makes you millions so be it.

I still fail to understand what hip hop music has to do with Joe Horn calling someone on a cell phone, or TO dancing with cheerleaders, or Chad Johnson sliding down a goal post. I find it mildly entertaining and with people like Chad I often hope he scores, as I can't wait to see what he does next. I don't agree with the delay of game and all that stuff but a little fun so what. Hines Ward is one of the classiest players in the game, and he even had a little fun with Chad when he scored up in Cincy a few years ago immitating his River *** or whatever he calls it. Other defensive players immitate Joey Porter and Sean Merriman's "celebrations". Who cares...lets face it folks it is a new era. We are not in the 70 anymore. These folks have grown up in the most horrific of living situations. We have all heard Merriman's story. I have heard TJ Houshmanzadeh's story and the countless others on Real Sports. These men could have been a bad call away or the wrong place at the wrong time away from being either dead, dealing drugs, or in jail. Instead they stuck it out or got a lucky break as Chad Johnson did and made the most of it. So now if they are dancing in somebody's endzone instead of selling crack to my kids I'm beyond ok with it.

As far as Deion Sanders is concerned he will always be remembered for his showboating, but he could back it up. He created what we now call the "shutdown" corner. He was the best in the history of the game and he will be high steppin all the way to Canton.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:39 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,545,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspolamalu View Post
You can try to justify this as much as you want, but this is as racist a statement as I've ever heard on this forum. And it gets worse when you add poster boy for the celebration of ignorance. Im not going to get into a huge hip hop debate. I have three boys they love hip hop as do many of their friends, yes the language is inappropriate at times and yes rappers tend to degrade women and all the hoopla that we are already aware of. However, if it is catchy and makes you millions so be it.

I still fail to understand what hip hop music has to do with Joe Horn calling someone on a cell phone, or TO dancing with cheerleaders, or Chad Johnson sliding down a goal post. I find it mildly entertaining and with people like Chad I often hope he scores, as I can't wait to see what he does next. I don't agree with the delay of game and all that stuff but a little fun so what. Hines Ward is one of the classiest players in the game, and he even had a little fun with Chad when he scored up in Cincy a few years ago immitating his River *** or whatever he calls it. Other defensive players immitate Joey Porter and Sean Merriman's "celebrations". Who cares...lets face it folks it is a new era. We are not in the 70 anymore. These folks have grown up in the most horrific of living situations. We have all heard Merriman's story. I have heard TJ Houshmanzadeh's story and the countless others on Real Sports. These men could have been a bad call away or the wrong place at the wrong time away from being either dead, dealing drugs, or in jail. Instead they stuck it out or got a lucky break as Chad Johnson did and made the most of it. So now if they are dancing in somebody's endzone instead of selling crack to my kids I'm beyond ok with it.

As far as Deion Sanders is concerned he will always be remembered for his showboating, but he could back it up. He created what we now call the "shutdown" corner. He was the best in the history of the game and he will be high steppin all the way to Canton.
It's not racist, just descriptive. I'd much rather Chad "Tap-Dancin', Shuckin' and Jivin" Johnson to simply score his touchdowns and be humble about it. This is much more appealing IMO. It really doesn't matter where these guys came from. Acting like a clown in front of millions is not good. Enough of the tap-dancin', moon-shinin', shuckin' and jivin'. These are different times now and this type of clown behavior among the brothers feeds into the stereotype and gives the young bros reason to dress like thugs and act like fools. A higher level of dignity is called for.

About hip-hop, I agree. Some of it is catchy. But most of it really is crap. As my dad says, "It is OK, in its class." Generally, I do consider it a "celebration of ignorance." Bad language, degrading women and each other, it truly is gutter music. Reminds me of Chad "Thug City" Johnson's clown act in the end zone.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:05 AM

This is going to be my last response to this issue because it will just make me more upset by the post. It gets more and more racist by the instant. I would think that a kid would look up to an athlete as a wray of hope. Do you honestly think a dance in the endzone is going to make someone wear baggy jeans and "dress like a thug". Give me a break. You must be a very sheltered human being. Its hip and its style. I'm sure since I buy my kids nothing but Ecko, RocaWear, and GUnit since I am fortunate enough to afford it you would accuse me of dressing them like thugs. And yes they wear Timberlands with baggy jeans. This is the honest to god truth...my son goes to school with Mike Logan's (Pgh Steelers) son. Mike dresses his children in very hip african american style clothing and we know he is fortunate enough to afford it. Does that mean his kids are going to grow up to be thugs? It certainly does not. Mike Logan seems to have managed his money well. He has donated a lot of money to help make an outside play area for the daycare center. He and his wife Nicole are among the most acctive parents in the center and are very nice to everyone. He also owns a local barber shop and hair salon, along with another local business. And guess what he drives a couple of different SUV's and always has baggy clothing, Timberlands, and flashy jewlery.

There are kids that look up to these athletes and see that there is a way out if you work hard enough. Times change. Its as simple as that. In Green Bay they have the Lambeau leap in other cities they have the crazy dances and celebrations. So what it doesent really matter. The NFL is going to be a majority African American sport just like the NBA in the very near future if it is not already. We never had many Black QBs or coaches and that is changing quickly. So what it really comes down to is deal with it or go watch hockey cause it aint gonna change. There are a lotta "brothers" and a lotta of them play reciever so love it or leave it. We are hear to stay and the dancin is too.

Your points that you are making are irrelevant to both Chad Johnson and the African American community. It's all in how you are raised. I am college educated and have a decent job. My children are being raised the same all while living in a hip urban african american setting.

Like I said I am going to let this go because ultimatley we have to agree to disagree.

PS... If you think Ocho Cinco is a thug you should take a walk through some of the projects in Philly, DC, and Pittsburgh....You probably wouldnt last 10 minutes.

Last edited by princesspolamalu; 10-22-2007 at 12:24 AM..

Old 10-22-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
I am not going to get in on the racial debate, but it seems like Chad Johnson has matured a little in the last year or two. However, why would the Patriots need another wide receiver, especially one with price tag like Johnson.
I cant really see this happening in all reality. I think it was wishful thinking by some aspiring Pats fan. LOL

Old 03-03-2008, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Chad Johnson epitomizes the hip-hop buffoonery that plagues the nation now. Doesn't fit with a championship team like the Patriots. Do you see Moss acting like such an idiot? Absolutely not.

Thats ridiculous to say, who cares if the guy can dance, he hates his team and yet still plays his ass off... did u see moss doing that in oakland?.. no he was acting like an idiot... But i will say i dont see him at pats, not cause htey wouldn't want him, but i say if he wants to be considered the best receiver in football next year, (which he is) i'd say he shoudl talkt o teh chargers, whether there interested or not iono, but i think that would be a better offense then the pats... Rivers is no Brady, but Barber is no tomlinson, and like i said earlier.. chad is the best receiver in football... and then u got antonio gates... BY FAR the best tight end in football.. that would be your superbowl champs if that ever happened

Old 05-15-2008, 10:47 AM

8 posts, read 22,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan31 View Post
Thats ridiculous to say, who cares if the guy can dance, he hates his team and yet still plays his ass off... did u see moss doing that in oakland?.. no he was acting like an idiot... But i will say i dont see him at pats, not cause htey wouldn't want him, but i say if he wants to be considered the best receiver in football next year, (which he is) i'd say he shoudl talkt o teh chargers, whether there interested or not iono, but i think that would be a better offense then the pats... Rivers is no Brady, but Barber is no tomlinson, and like i said earlier.. chad is the best receiver in football... and then u got antonio gates... BY FAR the best tight end in football.. that would be your superbowl champs if that ever happened

To bad he isn't going to get out of Cincy though. As a Bengals fan I would LOVE to get of him for Either Edwards or Larry Fitzgerald. I'd maybe even like to see Reggie Wayne. Chad is good but he is a pain in the ass. Not only that but he is not going to be good forever. I say he has 2 more good seasons in him before he is another old reciever.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:05 AM

6,760 posts, read 10,432,516 times
Patriots could possibly afford Johnson, but they'd be wise to use their money to work on their aging defense. I mean, those guys looked really old when the Giants smacked them in the SB 4th quarter.

Plus next year, without videotaping things, the Patriots will start declining.

Maybe they should buy Bill Belichick some class while they are spending money. His sour loser attitude after getting embarrassed by the Giants was one of the most disgraceful coaching displays I've EVER seen. If your gonna cry after you lose, stay with the crybabies instead of the pros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football