U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 11:37 AM

15,908 posts, read 10,108,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-mo View Post
I watched that as well, they all laughed and said just put up the picture (eagles logo). Couldnt believe they could all just sit there on national tv and be so disrespectful.

Well after all they are an extension of the national lamestream media, so go figure. Can't wait to get their digs in on anything Cleveland, or Ohio related! Now if this front office and coaching staff had any brains this should be bulletin board material and beat into these players heads that "hey everyone out there thinks you're irrelevant and don't belong in the NFL! Prove them wrong!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 10:52 AM

8 posts, read 5,404 times
Default Change the browns uniforms and colors!

I have been a Browns fan for nearly six decades. I welcome whoeheartedly the new owner, Mr. Haslam. With that said, "old school," has done absolutely nothing for the Browns. Nothing!
The colors are ugly. Out dated. Blah. Voted consistently one of the ugliest uniforms in the league.
I'd like to see that changed with a modernization and change of colors.
Personally, I'd like to see a new name. Paul Brown died hating Cleveland. I got it straight from him at a book signing of his. The stadium in Cincinnati has his name on it. He went to his grave hoping to thrash Cleveland twice per year. He took his orange to Cincy also. He would have taken the brown too, if permitted. He shook the dust of Cleveland from his shoes.
Things change in life. Circumstances sometimes warrent change. I think 1999 warrented a new name, a new start, and new colors for Cleveland. I do not like still having Brown's name on our team. And, the colors he selected, quite frankly, suck!
I hope Mr. Haslam makes WHOLESALE CHANGES......INCLUDING THE NAME, COLORS, AND CULTURE.
Just for a suggestion, the Bulldogs predated Paul Brown. Changing the name, for example, to the Cleveland Bulldawgs would be a take on Cleveland history that even predates Paul Brown! Their uniforms, I believe, were burgundy and white. I just want to see the brown and orange go. I could still tolerate some orange but the brown is, "butt ugly!"
Why should a team not want to look good and dress good? Create a good feeling and culture about "everything!"........ESPECIALLY WINNING!

Old 09-14-2012, 10:19 PM

4,858 posts, read 6,386,547 times
If someone told me they voted in an ugliest NFL uniform poll I would say:

"You're not a NFL fan. Stick to Seventeen and Cosmo magazine."

Old 09-15-2012, 03:38 PM

Default BONDURANT senior member

Bondurant.....I am assuming the nasty comment was directed at me. Sports Illustrated, YardBarker, SB Nation, WFNY, and ESPN are various locations from which I've read the uniform polls and opinions.
There is nothing wrong with wanting your team to look good. It's why fans buy the team's clothing and items to wear at the games and resaturants. In fact, the uniform is so important that the question of changing them was raised at Haslam's very first press conference. Would you tell "him" to stick to "Seventeen" magazine!?
You might be a senior member but comments like yours make you appear quite naive and elementary in your thinking. Learn to be big enough to tolerate other's opinions.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:48 PM

4,858 posts, read 6,386,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawgy54 View Post
Bondurant.....I am assuming the nasty comment was directed at me. Sports Illustrated, YardBarker, SB Nation, WFNY, and ESPN are various locations from which I've read the uniform polls and opinions.
There is nothing wrong with wanting your team to look good. It's why fans buy the team's clothing and items to wear at the games and resaturants. In fact, the uniform is so important that the question of changing them was raised at Haslam's very first press conference. Would you tell "him" to stick to "Seventeen" magazine!?
You might be a senior member but comments like yours make you appear quite naive and elementary in your thinking. Learn to be big enough to tolerate other's opinions.
It's a rib, bigdawgy. Don't take things too seriously.

For the record I like the Browns' digs. I have a healthy respect for tradition and the Browns.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:08 PM

16,537 posts, read 21,029,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
It's a rib, bigdawgy. I have a healthy respect for tradition and the Browns.
I do as well. Bigdawgy, I moderate football-welcome to the forum! I've been thinking about addressing this issue for a while but for the newer pro football fans out there pardon me while I bloviate a tad here!

If anyone was old school it was Paul Brown. Old school and a half! Probably only the hardcore fans know that before he was coach of Cleveland he was with Ohio State before that (WW-II time and before). As the new league (All American Football Conference) came to be owner Art McBride, who made most of his fortune in the taxi business, no less, signed Paul Brown as head coach of the new Cleveland franchise. As Brown had quite a name behind him, McBride pushed for the idea for the franchise to be called the Browns and Paul Brown was dead set against it. I'd have to check my memory banks, but if memory serves there was a write in/call in contest in the city to have a team name and Brown's name won by a mile. He eventually said it was all right, but did not like it, deciding instead to form as he put it "a football team that resembled the winningest organization in pro sports, the New York Yankees."

The AAFC immediately drew disdain from the NFL. And if there was a statement that would ring through Paul Brown's mind, it would be the one from Washington Redskin's owner George Preston Marshall- "I didn't know there was a new league until I got some literature in the mail about a new WPA project." Heh heh-a real charmer, isn't he? For the newer fan, a quick "heads up"-the WPA was created during President Roosevelt's time in office. WPA stood for Woks Projects Administration. It wasn't a surprise that Marshall would make a crackpot statement like that at all. He later stated in the press that "the worst club in the NFL would beat the best club from the AAFC." It didn't make a blip on the Cleveland Browns radar, and Paul Brown got his organization, desire, and plan together to do thing- dominate.

He did too. The AAFC only lasted for four years, but Brown's club won all four championships. As the weak teams in the AAFC folded, sadly the AAFC was no more and as far as I'm concerned nobody would have been happier than the NFL owners to see the whole league fold its tent. But in the end, a few AAFC teams stayed solvent, Cleveland clearly being the strongest franchise. From what I've read the media thought that this would be a feather in NFL commissioner Bert Bell's hat, by "being nice" and letting the three AAFC clubs join the NFL. Regarding the fate of the other players from the remaining clubs, if I'm not mistaken there was a sort of "dispersal draft" where those players would be joining up with the other NFL clubs. It wasn't that at all. Bell saw expansion (in this case) good for the league and he was certainly aware of Paul Brown's background.

Once the 1950 NFL season cranked up, football fans were going to find out if Marshall's statements would prove right. The 1949 NFL champs were the Philadelphia Eagles. Their opponent? Cleveland. And the Browns crushed the Eagles at Franklin Field 35-10. And played in several NFL championships and winning a few of them in the 1950's.

Without a doubt, certainly the Cleveland fans haven't had much to hang their hat on lately. But they have a colorful history and tradition about them, as Bondurant referred to.

Brown-the guy who created the first pro football team that dominated. Browns-the team name. Brown-the uniforms. Seven decades of tradition.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 09-15-2012 at 05:20 PM..

Old 09-15-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
In an era where teams are diversifying their uniform distribution so they can occupy more store shelves and merchandising space with 'alternative' uniforms, it is endearing to see that one team is keeping it traditional.
I think it is safe to say that NFL jerseys have gone bonkers in sales for the last several years, probably the last two decades.

Mike0421 makes a good point with "alternate uniforms".

In 1997 someone, someones, or most likely NFL properties convinced Denver Bronco owner Pat Bowlen to change the teams colors. I've been in a fair amount of visiting teams stadiums over the years following this team and I've always heard the kidding of orange being "butt ugly." With the teams Super Bowl XXXII and XXXIII wins sales obviously went through the roof.

I'm going to get an argument from other posters on this, which is ok, but to me when it comes to the NFL marketing crew it is always going to be about one thing, and that is money. For years ball caps and T-shirts were always 1-2 regarding merchandise sales, but as far as I'm concerned jerseys are up there with the both of them. And they're not cheap.

Back to the orange jerseys. The merchandising people got what they wanted. For years lots of the Bronco faithful hated the change and said so online, in the newspapers, and the sport talk radio stations. And were repeatedly told that change is good. And were also advised that orange wasn't completely going to be eliminated anyway as there would be a sizable strip of orange on the sides, so orange would STILL be the "dominant color." Everyone who believes that one stand on your head.

Fast forward ten years or so. Those ugly uniforms made a comeback. The orange is back, and Denver will play three home games with the blue uniforms, and play seven games with the orange uniforms. And as to the word "ugly?" Well, now there a few other NFL clubs wearing orange regarding their "alternate uniforms", among them Miami, Chicago, and Cincinnati. So much for ugly, so much for change.

One thing-- $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 09-15-2012 at 10:42 PM..

Old 09-15-2012, 09:28 PM

Oildog....I AGREE! Time for change. Bring Cleveland into the 21st century.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:50 PM

Double H.....Paul Brown's name did not win the naming contest. The "PANTHERS" was the name selected by the fans. Art McBride decided to have it "his" way and named the team, The Browns, on his own. I am fully aware of all of the Browns history. I watched the '64 championship and the subsequent 3 losses in the 1960's.
When Paul Brown was fired, many of the players were said to be going to Modell concerning the military style of coaching Brown was laying on them. Some were starting to say the game was passing him by. Brown didn't respect any of his players. They were mere pawns in a game to him.
He was arrogant when I went to his book signing. He told me straight up that he was so finished with Cleveland that he washed his hands of Cleveland. He refused to even talk of Cleveland.
I don't like going to Cincy every year playing in PAUL BROWN STADIUM. It's not right. Brown and Cleveland divorced. You don't leave the ex's name on the house and the check book. He went to his grave hoping to bury Cleveland.
If you had gotten the opportunity to hear the man speak against Cleveland the way "I" did in person, you might feel like me. It was at that very moment that I wanted Brown's name off of our team.
The problem with the passage of time is players and coaches get elevated to St. Hood. I can tell you. Paul Brown is no saint. He lived to thrash us twice every year!
It's time Cleveland move into the 21st century and quit living off of ancient history....that's tainted and tarnished.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:32 PM

I'm not a Browns expert so I'll go with ya regarding the Panthers nickname. But didn't Brown say no to that? Not sure where I read that from. I'm glad you responded as we don't get enough discussion regarding the NFL's earlier years.

And you're right on another point- in this case "old school" reverted to boot camp. I've read where he told players that he didn't want any players drinking at all come mid-week before a game. I'm not sure how he could police that when the Browns played at home but I'm sure on road games he cracked the whip on it.

Regarding the game passing him him by, the stats will show that to be right, but two people had a lot to do with that. I've said repeatedly on this forum that three people define the NFL and its history; Jim Brown, Vince Lombardi, and Johnny Unitas. Actually where in my opinion the club started to slide was the 1957 Championship. It was one thing to get beat by the club who lost to them two year previous (Detroit), and another to lose by the score (59-14) but to lose by that amount by a second string quarterback (Tobin Rote as Bobby Layne was injured), well, that might have started the slide. Keep in mind though, Otto Graham had retired previously and Jim Brown didn't come on the scene until a year later.

By that time everybody knew how Unitas blossomed into the quarterback he was, and then there is Vince Lombardi building up an organization that was at the bottom of the heap for years. Now during that time Cleveland did have good clubs, though there was a losing season and a break even season in that stretch. They did have a few seasons where they finished a game behind the division winner. They didn't have wild card games in those days though. You either won the division or else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football