U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2012, 02:28 PM
 
1,563 posts, read 1,662,119 times
Reputation: 1046

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWannaBeFree View Post
Art passed away this morning at age 87

Sports - CBSSports.com Sports News, Fantasy Scores, Sports Video

I have been reading the Browns' message board to read their reactions and most of them are celebrating Art's death and wants to pee on his grave, really pathetic...

People are entitled to feel the way they want to feel. I'm so sick of people from outside the NE Ohio area and those in the media telling us how we should feel. It's the same way with the LeBron crap. He's gone, we get it, none of us really care anymore yet everyone calls us haters if we don't root for the guy or GASP... have the gall to root against him.

Face facts America, most of us here in Ohio are not going to support LeBron in Miami or root for Art Modell to get into the HOF now that he has passed away nor do we want to take part in tributes or memorials celebrating their lives or accomplishments. Sorry for his family that he has passed away and I would not wish death on anyone unless they hurt or killed someone close to me but That doesn't mean I like or forgive the guy for basically destroying football in NE Ohio and taking away the team that gave me all those great memories as a child.

Oh... and if ANYONE (specifically any Ravens fans) on this board wants to tell me that we deserved to lose our team and Modell had no choice but to leave you better reconsider it because I will rip your argument to shreds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2012, 02:32 PM
 
Location: NY
9,071 posts, read 15,062,085 times
Reputation: 11515
Honestly, I cannot blame any fan for not shedding too many tears over Modell's passing. Could it be seen as cold? I suppose. Still, this guy ripped their football franchise out from them practically in the middle of the night.

How bad does a wrong have to have been for it to be acknowledged at an individuals passing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2012, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,811,614 times
Reputation: 4060
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
People are entitled to feel the way they want to feel. I'm so sick of people from outside the NE Ohio area and those in the media telling us how we should feel. It's the same way with the LeBron crap. He's gone, we get it, none of us really care anymore yet everyone calls us haters if we don't root for the guy or GASP... have the gall to root against him.

Face facts America, most of us here in Ohio are not going to support LeBron in Miami or root for Art Modell to get into the HOF now that he has passed away nor do we want to take part in tributes or memorials celebrating their lives or accomplishments. Sorry for his family that he has passed away and I would not wish death on anyone unless they hurt or killed someone close to me but That doesn't mean I like or forgive the guy for basically destroying football in NE Ohio and taking away the team that gave me all those great memories as a child.

Oh... and if ANYONE (specifically any Ravens fans) on this board wants to tell me that we deserved to lose our team and Modell had no choice but to leave you better reconsider it because I will rip your argument to shreds.
But, but....at least you got to keep your team name, colors and history!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2012, 12:15 AM
 
Location: Ohio
904 posts, read 1,636,588 times
Reputation: 1164
If you're not from Cleveland, or not a Browns fan, you really have no room to talk and no room to tell us how we should feel. Read the facts and you'll understand why he's so hated.

Also, before everyone praises Baltimore for praising Art Modell, check back on how "unclassy" they are when the name 'Robert Irsay' comes up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2012, 07:58 PM
 
1,266 posts, read 1,383,071 times
Reputation: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Check out Baltimore fans and how they speak about the late Robert Irsay.
and L.A. doesn't care about the late georgia frontiere and al davis, as in, they don't care that they moved the NFL out of L.A., which still hasn't returned to L.A., it seems the Lakers are the only big deal that matter in L.A., L.A. sports fans are fairweather fans, the Rams were in L.A. for almost 50 years, they weren't allowed to keep their history, and whats more infuriating is that georgia frontiere was actually bured in L.A., just goes to show you that Sports are not a big deal in L.A. as they were everywhere else, L.A. doesn't deserve sports teams for being that way

Last edited by WantToHaveALife; 09-08-2012 at 08:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 07:02 AM
 
1,563 posts, read 1,662,119 times
Reputation: 1046
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
But, but....at least you got to keep your team name, colors and history!

That we had to file suit to get back. He did not willingly allow us to keep them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 07:44 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 10,091,033 times
Reputation: 7456
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
People are entitled to feel the way they want to feel. I'm so sick of people from outside the NE Ohio area and those in the media telling us how we should feel. It's the same way with the LeBron crap. He's gone, we get it, none of us really care anymore yet everyone calls us haters if we don't root for the guy or GASP... have the gall to root against him.

Face facts America, most of us here in Ohio are not going to support LeBron in Miami or root for Art Modell to get into the HOF now that he has passed away nor do we want to take part in tributes or memorials celebrating their lives or accomplishments. Sorry for his family that he has passed away and I would not wish death on anyone unless they hurt or killed someone close to me but That doesn't mean I like or forgive the guy for basically destroying football in NE Ohio and taking away the team that gave me all those great memories as a child.

Oh... and if ANYONE (specifically any Ravens fans) on this board wants to tell me that we deserved to lose our team and Modell had no choice but to leave you better reconsider it because I will rip your argument to shreds.
Make no mistake while Modell did a lot of good things to promote the NFL and facilitated the Monday Night Football thing, he was bad with his money! I mean, he practically went bankrupt in Cleveland! With the way the NFL is set up, there is no way in HELL any team should be on the verge of bankruptcy! Especially a classic NFL franchise such as the Cleveland Browns! However; don't think for a minute that the city of Cleveland is completely blameless! If you're from NE Ohio, then you know that the powers that be tend to trip over their own feet in trying to get s*** done in this region (though even that seems to be changing lately, as there is a lot of development in the city right now)! Having said that, had Modell sold the team to Lerner he would have been looked on differently. At any rate, I've moved on from the move! I'm more concerned about the fact that this current Browns team still can't put together a winner (yesterday was more of the same, and the only bright spot was the defense). Now I do get mad with the national media trying to tell us here in Ohio to get over it, and how to feel. But remember they don't give Cleveland or Ohio much love anyway! Anytime there is something negative about Cleveland the issue seems to be amplified even more because of Cleveland being attached to it! Nevermind that there is a lot of development and good things happening in this region right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
If you're not from Cleveland, or not a Browns fan, you really have no room to talk and no room to tell us how we should feel. Read the facts and you'll understand why he's so hated.

Also, before everyone praises Baltimore for praising Art Modell, check back on how "unclassy" they are when the name 'Robert Irsay' comes up...
I agree. The scrutiny from the national media about our great city is really played out! It's just another big reason why I can only take so much of the lamestream media before I want to vomit! As for the Baltimore fans I've talked to, I think they were happy to get football back, but not at the expense of Cleveland losing it's team, considering it happened to them! To say we deserved to lose the team is ridiculous on their end considering what Irsay did to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
That we had to file suit to get back. He did not willingly allow us to keep them.

I honestly don't think that suit was necessary. I think that Modell was more than happy to shed the Browns name and finally cutting ties with anything related to Paul Brown in which the team was named after. Not to mention, I don't think that Baltimore wanted to carry the name either! At any rate, what's done is done. I think sooner or later he will get into the HOF. Whether we in Cleveland like it or not! I certainly won't celebrate it, but I won't lose sleep over it either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,811,614 times
Reputation: 4060
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
That we had to file suit to get back. He did not willingly allow us to keep them.
Well aware of that. I was more making fun of the Baltimore argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 12:44 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 39,816,751 times
Reputation: 16147
I don't blame Browns fans for feeling the way they do. I would probably feel similar if the Rooneys snuck away in the middle of the night and moved the Steelers to a different state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2012, 06:47 PM
 
1,266 posts, read 1,383,071 times
Reputation: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I don't blame Browns fans for feeling the way they do. I would probably feel similar if the Rooneys snuck away in the middle of the night and moved the Steelers to a different state.
thats why that would never happen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top