U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 08:35 AM

21,485 posts, read 11,591,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The Packer player had clear possesion of the ball when they fell to the ground. And if you can't see that after watching the replay you either

1. Live in Seattle

2. Don't have 20/20 vision
Watch the other angles. When they hit the ground Tate had both arms around it and was on the ground before Jennings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 08:36 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,747,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Exactly.

Some of those guys are from Division III football, right?
Some are from Arena league, highschool and junior college.

A list of replacement officials and their work experience, as released by the NFL Referees Association, locked out by the NFL for the start of the regular season.

Paul Frerking, Arena I
Wes Fritz, Arena I (referee)
Joe Rider, Arena I-ACC (referee)
Bill Athan, Arena I-WAC
Perry Havener, Arena I (referee)
Bud McClesky, Arena I
Major Williams, Arena II
Greg Brock, Arena II
Steven Frederickson, Arena II
Darryl Keckler, Arena II
Chris Hughes, Arena II
Paul Labenne, Arena II-WAC (referee)
Lou Hammond, Arena II-Atlantic 10
Owen Grogan, Arena II-Big East
Greg Glasgow, Arena II, Div. III
Richard Wilborn, Arena II, Div. III
Allan Bean, Arena II, Div. III
Lindlay Ivey, Arena II, Div. III
Don Foushee, Arena II, Div. III
Larry Mallam, Arena II, Div. III (referee)
Randal Beasley, Arena II (referee)
Wayne Gautney, Arena II
Terry Haney, Arena II
James Cole, Atlantic 10 (Div. III)
Ken Payne, Atlantic 10 (Div. III) (referee)
Jim Mullendore, Big Ten
Tom Hoffman, Big Ten
Howard Curry, Big East
Milton Hagans, Big East
John Smith, Big East (referee)
John Salmon, Big East
Mike Semcheski, Big East
Charles Philips, Big East
Jim Guinan, Big East
Steve McBride, Big East-retired
Doug Robbins, Big East-retired
J.E. Wells, Big West (Div. I-AA)
Dan Malcom, Big West (Div. I-AA)
Mike Salem, COA (Junior College)
Glen McCuin, retired, Big West
Bill Jordan, retired, Big West
Richard Brantley, CIAA (Div. II)
Jim Bruno, COA (Junior College)
Chuck Camuso, COA (Junior College)
Bob Howell, COA (Junior College)
Jeff Orlich, COA (Junior College)
Pat Demoro, COA (Junior College)
Nadi Exavier, COA (Junior College)
Keith Frazier, Conference USA
Don Williams, High School
Bob Jamison, Conference USA
Tracy Lynch, Div. III
Vern Marshall, Div. III
Bill Ditchkus, ECAC (Small College)
Doug Hazel, ECAC (Small College)
Jerry Sybertz, ECAC (Small College)
Tom Buda, Gateway (Div. I-AA)
Chuck Feeney, Gateway (Div. I-AA)
Jerry Frump, Gateway (Div. I-AA)
James Felton, Gateway (Div. I-AA)
Judson Mitchell, Gateway (Div. I-AA)
Ervin Bond, Gateway (Div. I-AA)
William Etzler, Gateway (Div. I-AA)
Phil Coady, Gateway (Div. I-AA)
Mickey Garrett, Gateway (Div. I-AA)
Marc Curles, Gulf South (Div. II)
Bill Heidkemp, IFL
Jerry Hughes, Ivy League (referee)
Bob Watson, Lone Star (Div. II)
Dan Kett, Mid-American
Paul Beyerle, Mid-American
Sid Rodeheffer, Mid-American
Tom Stapleton, Midwest Conference (Div. III)
Bob Powell, Midwest Conference (Div. III)
David Hettema, Mountain West
Lee Midgett, Ohio Valley, (Div. I-AA)
Burney Jenkins, Ohio Valley, (Div. I-AA)
Charlie Hall, Ohio Valley, (Div. I-AA)
Tom Abbott, Ohio Valley, (Div. I-AA)
Casey Moreland, Ohio Valley, (Div. I-AA)
Ernie Briggs, Ohio Valley, (Div. I-AA) (referee)
Wayne McCreight, Ohio Valley, (Div. I-AA)
Andrew Verilles, Ohio Valley, (Div. I-AA)
Dan Doyle, Ohio Valley, (Div. I-AA)
Jeff Puckett, Ohio Valley, (Div. I-AA)
David Becker, Pac-10
Colin McDermott, Pac-10
John Pemberton, Pac-10
Jim Rinne, Pac-10
James Sprenger, Pac-10 (referee)
Jack Folliard, Pac-10
James Northcott, Pac-10
Manny Alonzo, Pac-10
Dale Newhouse, Pac-10
Blake Lozo, Pac-10
Dennis Angel, Pac-10
Jerry Gastellum, Junior College
Gary Wise, SEC-Supplemental
Conrad Carney, SEC-Supplemental
Bob Lee, SEC retired
Aster Sizemore, SEC retired
Ted Davis, SEC retired
Mac Gentry, SEC retired (referee)
Bob Patrick, SEC retired
Ray Moon, SEC retired
Jack McElwee, Southern (Div. I-AA)
Paul Vargo, Southern (Div. I-AA)
Jeff Hopf, Southland (Div. I-AA)
Mike Peek, Southland (Div. I-AA)
Steve Newton, Southland (Div. I-AA)
Buddy Gingas, Southland (Div. I-AA)
Dirk Bell, High School (new to Southland)
Lee Baxter, Southland (Div. I-AA)
Lynn Lawhon, WAC, retired
Steve Burks, WAC
Stu Ross, WAC
Doug Stalnaker, West Virginia Conference (Div. II)
Al Pickett, experience NA
Isadore Hannah, experience NA
Brian Harmon, experience NA
Riley Johnson, experience NA
Max Schwarzel, experience NA

Old 09-25-2012, 08:36 AM

6,554 posts, read 10,257,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Exactly.

Some of those guys are from Division III football, right?
Yup. A much slower game with far less-talented players and considerably smaller crowds.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The owners' point has been that these refs are interchangeable parts. Replacing the NFL refs with upper-echelon officials from D-I would've drastically improved the quality of the officiating, but for whatever reason the league couldn't do that and instead chose officials from the bottom of the barrel.
That was never going to happen. Those officials would know they would have no shot of ever making it to the NFL if they did this and they would most likely lose their D1 jobs.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:44 AM

You guys are forgetting just how bad the regular refs are. These guys are just slightly worse because of inexperience. Give them a few more weeks and they will be just as bad as the regular guys and in contact with the same bookies so the games will start to swing the way Vegas wants them to.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:46 AM

8,114 posts, read 17,319,771 times
These calls do happen, by replacement refs or otherwise, that literally determine a game. Who remembers, for instance, Ben Dreith calling unecessary roughness against Sugar Bear Hamilton in the 1976 AFC semi-final game on Ken Stabler, when he seemed to be making contact as Ken Stabler literally threw the ball? These calls do happen.

NFL Top Ten Controversial Calls #7 1976 AFC Wildcard - YouTube

Another more recent example was the 1999 NFC Championship game with the Rams and the Bucs.

NFL Top Ten Controversial Calls #5 The Bert Emanual Catch - YouTube

My main concern right now is player safety.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
You guys are forgetting just how bad the regular refs are. These guys are just slightly worse because of inexperience. Give them a few more weeks and they will be just as bad as the regular guys and in contact with the same bookies so the games will start to swing the way Vegas wants them to.
You can say that a million times, but that doesn't make it true. No one if forgetting anything. Just because the real refs weren't perfect does not mean that these guys aren't much worse.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:51 AM

How about the high/low hit on Favre by the Saints in the 2009 NFC CG that resulted in an interception? It was a classic Tom Brady hit-should have been 15 yards and a first down and the players should have been ejected. NO flag.

How about the PI on Ben Leber in the same game? The replay showed that Leber was 3 feet away from the TE but somehow he interfered with him. They would have been punting but were given a first down.

How about in the same game V Shainco's Jersey almost being pulled off by a Saint and no flag? Replay showed his Jersey being held by the defender and pulled out a foot from his body before the ball was thrown right in front of the ref. No call.

How about in the same game Reggie Bush getting a first down on a 4th down carry when it was clear that he fumbled the ball and was stopped well before the LOS? They gave him his forward progress before the fumble when he didn't re-establish possession until he was well BEHIND the LOS.

I have no love for the old officials. They made as many or more mistakes.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:54 AM

20 posts, read 16,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The ONLY people who liked that call, outside of Seahawk fans, are a bunch of guys on strike.

Right now they are indeed smiling, and feeling like momentum is swinging their way.
Let me preface this by saying that I'm a big college football fan and don't really pay attention to the NFL game. Anyway I watched the game last night and here are my thoughts on the final play.

I'm in the minority but I believe the refs got the call right last night. It looked like "similtaneous possession" to me between Golden Tate and the Packers player and those calls always go to the offensive player. I understand why others have a different opinion though and why Packers players and fans are upset. Vince Lombardi would be proud that the Packers came back onto the field for the extra point. In the end it is a subjective call and the refs' opinion is what counts.

Even if the refs got the call "wrong" I still blame the Packers for losing and give credit to Seattle's defense. How many times did Mr. Discount Double Check get sacked? How many three and outs did the Packers have? Why in the wide world of sports did the Packers player try to intercept a hail mary pass? Strange decision on his part. Aaron Curry: tweeted: 4 yrs, 4 staffs, each staff coached: "DO NOT try to intercept it! BAT IT DOWN." Mr. Curry has a valid point. Don't Pop Warner kids know this strategy? A professional football player should know that the defensive strategy for a hail mary pass is to bat the ball down.

Also, these professional players know these officials are not exactly qualified to officiate a NFL game so why are the Packers leaving the game "in the hands of the officials" in the first place? If the Packers had taken advantage of and scored on every posession then we wouldn't be talking about the refs today. Seattle's defense is what won the game last night. Congrats Seahawks and to Russell Wilson! The Packers need to put this game behind them and focus on next week's game against the Saints. They need to work on their offense this week.

Let me turn to the NHL for a moment. With many fans, players, and coaches the NFL is becoming a laughing stock and instead of taking advantage of this the NHL and the NHLPAare arguing about revenue, etc. This makes the NHL lockout look even more ridiculous. I just got into hockey this past Spring and this lockout will lose fans like myself. I hope that other football leagues (NCAA, CFL, AFL, etc.) are watching this and thinking of ways to take advantage of this situation.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:54 AM

The regular refs also cost the Tampa Bay Bucs the AFC Championship in 1979. Refs have a long history of ineptitude in big games and in big situations. Again, this issue is completely overhyped and besides-this I think was the CORRECT CALL and the regular booth officials agree.

Media hype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football