U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-26-2012, 06:05 AM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,636 posts, read 33,429,727 times
Reputation: 32355

Advertisements

For those in Washington DC and vicinity, there is a front page story on the Washington Post Express with a picture of a clown in an NFL referee uniform on the cover. I will post it later today since I can't access it work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-26-2012, 07:31 AM
 
3,722 posts, read 3,879,507 times
Reputation: 2774
You have to love ESPN's coverage of the game from Monday night. They showed extra episodes of Sportscenter last night, instead of the Crossfit games that had been scheduled, and proceeded to talk and talk and talk about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2012, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times
Reputation: 36087
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezedriedromeo View Post
Why does the ref that called it a touchdown get the final call? Don't they have to confer if there is a disputed call?
Ideally, they should confer. Two field officials appeared to make contradictory calls. It is the responsibility of the referee (there is only one referee), in that case, to confer with the two officials and hear their version of what they saw, and them break the tie. That did not appear to happen, and therein lies the controversy. If the Ref had taken five seconds to have a conference with the officials who signalled their calls, there would be no dispute at all.

Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker, obviously a Packer fan, has tweeted that he wants the union refs back, he just can't live without them, but otherwise, he's pretty much on the side of busting unions. The irony is delicious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2012, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Baker City, Oregon
3,686 posts, read 5,848,406 times
Reputation: 5856

Replacement Weatherguy Forecast - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2012, 08:06 AM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 39,766,104 times
Reputation: 16146
TRENTON, N.J., Sept. 25 (UPI) -- A New Jersey lawmaker, his favorite team stung by defeat, introduced a bill banning NFL replacement referees form officiating games in the Garden State.
Replacement officials -- subbing for officials locked out by the league in a contract dispute -- made a controversial call on a last-second Hail Mary pass play Monday, giving the Seattle Seahawks a 14-12 victory over the Green Bay Packers.
Hours later, New Jersey state Senate President Steve Sweeney -- an avowed Packers fan -- introduced a bill banning the replacement refs he says are a danger to players and a detriment to fans, The (Newark, N.J.) Star-Ledger reported.
"This past weekend in the NFL has not only made a mockery of a great sport, but shined a very bright light on how important fully trained and professional officiating is to player safety," Sweeney said in a statement. "We wouldn't allow a factory or construction site to operate without fully trained supervisors on hand to ensure the safety of employees. Why should we do anything differently when the job site is a playing field?"
He charged replacement referees make the game less enjoyable to watch, devaluing the often high cost of a fan's game ticket.
With its regular staff of officials locked out, the NFL has been using referees who would otherwise be calling games in Division II or Division III college football, the newspaper said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2012, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,319 posts, read 21,886,413 times
Reputation: 33476
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
TRENTON, N.J., Sept. 25 (UPI) -- A New Jersey lawmaker, his favorite team stung by defeat, introduced a bill banning NFL replacement referees form officiating games in the Garden State.
Replacement officials -- subbing for officials locked out by the league in a contract dispute -- made a controversial call on a last-second Hail Mary pass play Monday, giving the Seattle Seahawks a 14-12 victory over the Green Bay Packers.
Hours later, New Jersey state Senate President Steve Sweeney -- an avowed Packers fan -- introduced a bill banning the replacement refs he says are a danger to players and a detriment to fans, The (Newark, N.J.) Star-Ledger reported.
"This past weekend in the NFL has not only made a mockery of a great sport, but shined a very bright light on how important fully trained and professional officiating is to player safety," Sweeney said in a statement. "We wouldn't allow a factory or construction site to operate without fully trained supervisors on hand to ensure the safety of employees. Why should we do anything differently when the job site is a playing field?"
He charged replacement referees make the game less enjoyable to watch, devaluing the often high cost of a fan's game ticket.
With its regular staff of officials locked out, the NFL has been using referees who would otherwise be calling games in Division II or Division III college football, the newspaper said.
I'm guessing New Jersey has pretty much got everything else under control over there, huh?

Last edited by Ghengis; 09-26-2012 at 09:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2012, 09:27 AM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 39,766,104 times
Reputation: 16146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I'm guess New Jersey has pretty much got everything else under control over there, huh?
If by under control you mean near financial collapse and rampant corruption, then yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2012, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Lewes, Delaware
3,466 posts, read 3,148,933 times
Reputation: 1876
Worst call I have ever seen is still the Tuck rule game, a rule most haven't even heard of including the Raiders coach Jon Gruden. The worst part was it wasn't even a tuck, Brady brought the ball up to throw it when Charles Woodson knocked the ball out of his right hand. The NFL had started their love affair with the Patriots and well Paul Taglibue pretty much hated Al Davis.

Although Adam Vinatieri kicked one of the best field goals in the snow, solidifying himself as the games best clutch kicker.

Last edited by James420; 09-26-2012 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: N
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2012, 10:56 AM
 
4,792 posts, read 11,972,883 times
Reputation: 3453
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Ideally, they should confer. Two field officials appeared to make contradictory calls. It is the responsibility of the referee (there is only one referee), in that case, to confer with the two officials and hear their version of what they saw, and them break the tie. That did not appear to happen, and therein lies the controversy. If the Ref had taken five seconds to have a conference with the officials who signalled their calls, there would be no dispute at all.

Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker, obviously a Packer fan, has tweeted that he wants the union refs back, he just can't live without them, but otherwise, he's pretty much on the side of busting unions. The irony is delicious
Most of the games I have watched this season have lacked the official huddles. The hacks just start guessing instead of conferencing and coming up with an informed decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2012, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,319 posts, read 21,886,413 times
Reputation: 33476
it's obvious that the NFL is just loving the publicity they get out of this and I don't doubt for a moment that it was all part of the master plan. I think the next step is to start introducing the referees before the game along with neat little factoids about them. They could then drive to the center of the field and all pile out of a little car. Instead of whistles, have them honk one of those clown horns to call penalties. Maybe too soon for the wigs and big shoes tho at this point tho?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top