U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 11:43 AM

11,724 posts, read 11,557,775 times

Advertisements

How about the horn from the Vikings, that would be cool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 11:54 AM

21,359 posts, read 21,922,845 times
bye bye replacement refs, seems we hardly knew ya!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/27/sp...deal.html?_r=0

A remaining issue is how quickly the regular referees can return to work. There is a game Thursday night between Cleveland and Baltimore, as well as the full schedule Sunday.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:11 PM

844 posts, read 2,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
TRENTON, N.J., Sept. 25 (UPI) -- A New Jersey lawmaker, his favorite team stung by defeat, introduced a bill banning NFL replacement referees form officiating games in the Garden State.
Replacement officials -- subbing for officials locked out by the league in a contract dispute -- made a controversial call on a last-second Hail Mary pass play Monday, giving the Seattle Seahawks a 14-12 victory over the Green Bay Packers.
Hours later, New Jersey state Senate President Steve Sweeney -- an avowed Packers fan -- introduced a bill banning the replacement refs he says are a danger to players and a detriment to fans, The (Newark, N.J.) Star-Ledger reported.
"This past weekend in the NFL has not only made a mockery of a great sport, but shined a very bright light on how important fully trained and professional officiating is to player safety," Sweeney said in a statement. "We wouldn't allow a factory or construction site to operate without fully trained supervisors on hand to ensure the safety of employees. Why should we do anything differently when the job site is a playing field?"
He charged replacement referees make the game less enjoyable to watch, devaluing the often high cost of a fan's game ticket.
With its regular staff of officials locked out, the NFL has been using referees who would otherwise be calling games in Division II or Division III college football, the newspaper said.
Why doesn't Sweeney fix NJ before he takes on the NFL

Old 09-26-2012, 05:33 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,353,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
it's obvious that the NFL is just loving the publicity they get out of this and I don't doubt for a moment that it was all part of the master plan. I think the next step is to start introducing the referees before the game along with neat little factoids about them. They could then drive to the center of the field and all pile out of a little car. Instead of whistles, have them honk one of those clown horns to call penalties. Maybe too soon for the wigs and big shoes tho at this point tho?

The refs period is what I always hated about the NFL. Even when the regular ones are there because I always believed they had a "hidden agenda"

Prime example is when they wait to see if a receiver catches a ball and throw a flag 10 seconds later

Old 09-26-2012, 06:06 PM

21,577 posts, read 11,631,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
it's obvious that the NFL is just loving the publicity they get out of this and I don't doubt for a moment that it was all part of the master plan. I think the next step is to start introducing the referees before the game along with neat little factoids about them. They could then drive to the center of the field and all pile out of a little car. Instead of whistles, have them honk one of those clown horns to call penalties. Maybe too soon for the wigs and big shoes tho at this point tho?
I don't think that's too far out bro. I was thinking that the Lingerie League is loving the publicity as well.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:34 PM

6,551 posts, read 4,501,201 times
Replacement refs are....replaced. Starting this Thursday for the Ravens/browns game:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8429885/report-nfl-officials-reach-agreement-end-lockout

I'm gonna get a lot of flacked, but I thought the replacements did an OK job, not bad considering they were thrown in the fire. Just remember, the guy who screwed up the most in the 3 weeks, is an actual NFL guy, employed by the NFL. People like to scapegoat the side judge and the referee thay game, but the replay official, who is a real NFL employee had the biggest gaffe that game.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:15 AM

3,699 posts, read 5,856,832 times

NFL referee strike bloopers ruining 2012-2013 NFL season - YouTube

Old 09-27-2012, 07:29 AM

4,798 posts, read 11,983,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Replacement refs are....replaced. Starting this Thursday for the Ravens/browns game:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8429885/report-nfl-officials-reach-agreement-end-lockout

I'm gonna get a lot of flacked, but I thought the replacements did an OK job, not bad considering they were thrown in the fire. Just remember, the guy who screwed up the most in the 3 weeks, is an actual NFL guy, employed by the NFL. People like to scapegoat the side judge and the referee thay game, but the replay official, who is a real NFL employee had the biggest gaffe that game.
I am guessing you havn't seen too many of this seasons games. They were screwing up mundane things in every game I saw (at least 10 games). I agree that they were thrown to the fire and we couldn't expect them to do better than they did. HOWEVER, I certainly can expect better from Goddell and the NFL as in they could have avoided this situation.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:51 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,240,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post

Huh?

These replacement officials did a horrid job in almost every game, especially in the last two weeks. Don't kid yourself. Sure, they did the best they could, but they were not qualified enough to be NFL officials.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:26 AM

15,908 posts, read 10,086,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The refs period is what I always hated about the NFL. Even when the regular ones are there because I always believed they had a "hidden agenda"

Prime example is when they wait to see if a receiver catches a ball and throw a flag 10 seconds later

LOL! As a Browns fan, I can buy that! Bottlegate, anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football