U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 01:24 PM

21,492 posts, read 11,595,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Agreed... John Fox was a flat out jerk on MNF!!!
And he was wrong and the ref was right! I think these refs are not doing that bad, this issue is completely overhyped by the media and the players and coaches are feeding off that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 01:28 PM

6,556 posts, read 10,261,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
And he was wrong and the ref was right! I think these refs are not doing that bad, this issue is completely overhyped by the media and the players and coaches are feeding off that.
Or it could be that the replacement refs are a bunch of unconfident, overmatched newbs and the players and coaches know it. Sorry but this isn't overhyped. That MNF game was damn near unwatchable. It's hypocritical for the owners to try to bust the officials' union while they kowtow to the NFLPA.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:33 PM

9,349 posts, read 5,563,395 times
The argument that i've been hearing all week from the talking heads is about how the number of penalties called by replacement refs is about on pace with the regular refs.

That's all well and fine...but anybody watching some of these games has to know that they're doing a pretty **** poor job. I'm not blaming the refs themselves, they're simply not used to the speed of the NFL (many of them are from Division II college leagues). This one falls completely on Goodell.

I'm sure everybody has heard by now that this entire thing could be done if every owner in the NFL cut a check for $1M, which is chump change to them. Goodell's ego is getting in the way (as usual), and he's screwing up the season.

its funny watching some of the games and how the commentators react. They have to be careful about what they say as they can't just flat out dog the refs and the NFL. But in just about every game I've watched so far this season, the commentators will point out at least 3-4 times a game like "that was an obvious penalty that wasn't called" or "I'm not sure how that's holding."

Old 09-21-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Or it could be that the replacement refs are a bunch of unconfident, overmatched newbs and the players and coaches know it. Sorry but this isn't overhyped. That MNF game was damn near unwatchable. It's hypocritical for the owners to try to bust the officials' union while they kowtow to the NFLPA.
Maybe you would be happier if they just cancelled the season?

The refs are unreasonable. They make ten thousand bucks a game and most of them have other jobs besides. Why do they need pensions or a union for that matter?

If they were teachers people would be screaming to have them fired for going on strike, but since most people in this country put the NFL above education I haven't once heard that said by ANYONE.

I think they should just fire them all. These guys are doing just fine and will get better.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:49 PM

Just watch the 2009 NFC Championship game between the Saints and the Vikings. That game was completely rigged from beginning to end. The Vikings were the better team, should have won. Made the plays to win, many of which were called back by phantom penalties.

The refs ignored the Tom Brady rule high/low hit on Favre. Happened right in front of them and no call. A ref watched a New Orleans defender almost take Shainco's Jersey off and no pass interference.

Ben Leber (LBR for the Vikes) was called for PI and didn't even touch the player, was more than a foot away from touching him when watching the replay. Gave the Saints a first down when they should have punted. That alone cost the Vikes the games.

No love for the old officials here.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:57 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,754,055 times
Quote:

The refs are unreasonable. They make ten thousand bucks a game and most of them have other jobs besides. Why do they need pensions or a union for that matter?

If they were teachers people would be screaming to have them fired for going on strike, but since most people in this country put the NFL above education I haven't once heard that said by ANYONE.

I think they should just fire them all. These guys are doing just fine and will get better.
Personally I would be happer if the NFL just paid them a bit more.

I don't think they are being unreasonable. And I thought I read as part of what the NFL was proposing the refs couldn't have other jobs.

I don't thin they went on strike. Didn't the NFL lock them out?

Seems like a completely pointless analogy. What on earth do NFL refs and teachers have to do with each other?

Old 09-21-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Personally I would be happer if the NFL just paid them a bit more.

I don't think they are being unreasonable. And I thought I read as part of what the NFL was proposing the refs couldn't have other jobs.

I don't thin they went on strike. Didn't the NFL lock them out?

Seems like a completely pointless analogy. What on earth do NFL refs and teachers have to do with each other?
See the Chicago Teacher's strike. How many times have I heard people say to fire them and replace them?

Old 09-22-2012, 05:52 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,754,055 times
Quote:
See the Chicago Teacher's strike. How many times have I heard people say to fire them and replace them?
Who cares? That has absolutely nothing to do with NFL refs.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:06 PM

2,369 posts, read 3,057,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Tit was asinine for the owners to think they could bring in a bunch of high school and D-III refs and get them up to speed on the nuances of the pro game with a few training videos and preseason games.
this is a perfect example of the hype, they are not high school officials, come on man!

Quote:
What I don't like is the way the players and coaches are treating these guys. They are acting like they are in middle school and the replacement refs are substitute teachers.

Right or wrong, treat them with respect and quit acting like a bunch of spoiled children!

the league had no come out before this weekends games and said lay off the over abuse, it's exactly like kids and substitute teachers and some media outlets are making it worse,

Quote:

repped, the refs are mostly too old, too slow and past their prime. the ppl arguing so harshly against the current crop have short term memory problems and have totally forgotten how crappily many games were officiated over the last 10 years. lots of delays, lots of confusion, lots of really horrible calls that everybody sitting around watching the games could see.

reviews that went on and on when we all could see clearly he stepped out or it was a fumble or a catch, this all occurred wayyyy before this past season.

it's not perfect of course but not nearly as bad as ppl are stating, but the media is very powerful. (apparently)

Old 09-23-2012, 09:41 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,362,336 times
Augh this has been a bad game tonight in this respect too. It is really taking away from the product. I cant believe the NFL hasn't taken more aggressive steps to correct this.

So you hold all the power, who cares. Make concessions. Sacrafice a few bucks this one time. They are behaving like Apple.

Even if the regular refs are only marginally better, its still worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football