Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 07:48 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times

Advertisements

They seem to be slowing the pace of the game with ticky-tack fouls. The MNF game they did a bad job. 1 hour for the 1st quarter???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 12:48 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Agree totally. At least the regulars were competent at most times and the game would substain a decent flow. With all the extended conferences to get calls straight, it makes game time go longer and ruins the flow.

PFT reported that the refs in St. Louis missed an obvious taunting call on Chris Long on the same play that Josh Morgan got his 15 yards. They said Long was warned once and then continued to do the taunt to the Redskins bench. That was really important since the penalties would have offset giving the Redskins a makeable FG.
The regular refs miss calls every game as well...
Personally I TiVo my teams game every week and get a few minutes behind so that I can ff through some of the slow moments.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:40 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,894,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
The regular refs miss calls every game as well...
Personally I TiVo my teams game every week and get a few minutes behind so that I can ff through some of the slow moments.
Agreed

I do that too for MNF, SNF, and TNF... This is the best way to avoid the lousy replacement refs and commercials anyway.

I have the NFL Redzone for Sunday afternoon games so its not an issue.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:01 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,560,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I was going to start a similar thread, but will just share my thoughts on this one. Full disclosure: I am a Broncos fan and write this just minutes after the Broncos loss to the Falcons in MNF.

The replacement refs are no worse than the regulars. They made some bad calls and some good. There were moments when I could swear that they were as blind as a bat on the dark side of the moon. There were moments when they reviewed the plays and made the right call. Seems like a few bad calls benefitted both teams at points in this game. Seemed to me that both teams got away with a few holds here and there. Seems to me that this is the case every week when the regular refs call the games.

I think these guys are just fine. Already I'm seeing fans blame refs for bad calls that result in a loss for their team. I watched a lot of different games this week and last and I cannot honestly say these guys are any worse than the regulars.

I will say that when teams begin to push and shove between plays, they need to assert themselves more. Start tossing players from games if they don't back off the ball fast enough. Assaunte Samuel bumped one of them. A regular would have tossed him from the game. That needs to start happening between plays. As for the plays themselves, the replacements are no worse than the regulars.

thank you! I really think people are forgetting just how horrible the regular refs were. there were blown calls, mass confusion and many delays with them. I really don't see that much of a difference, in fact I'd argue the fact that b/c they are younger they have better eyesight and stamina and can keep up with things perhaps even better. There' s a learning curve for sure but it not that great.

Watching MNF is the worst thing you can do b/c es*n has an agenda which is very clear. They made it much worse showing John Fox having an infarction on the sidelines constantly but then again they were the worst in the preseason for talking about the refs non-stop having watched FOX, CBS and NBC plus local t.v. I can say es*n made the most of them -- because they wanted to. Don't fall for it.

and then es*n had to push the meme that in the regular season the speed of play would increase "dramatically". B.S. It can't be that different, those lesser players were playing for a spot on the team , like they weren't giving it all they had? are they really that much slower?

Overblown and overdone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Completely killing the pace of the game.

what pace? with all the t.v. timeouts, challenges, every scoring play being reviewed, every turnover being reviewed there is no flow to the NFL anymore. None.

maybe I don't have ADD and that's the problem. btw, the upstairs officials are not replacements

Old 09-20-2012, 04:57 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,560,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
They seem to be slowing the pace of the game with ticky-tack fouls. The MNF game they did a bad job. 1 hour for the 1st quarter???

they are doing no such thing, it's either the automatic review process (not in their control) or your imagination.

NFL | Replacement refs calling same amount of penalties - NFL Hot off the Wire

"Statistics show there isn't much difference in the NFL with replacement officials calling penalties despite the outrage from players and coaches. There are strong similarities between the number of flags thrown this year by the temporary crews and last year by regular officials. The average number of penalties per game is down this season from 15.2 to 14.7. Defensive pass interference and illegal contact penalties are up, but only from 48 to 51, even though there has been concern about the lack of such calls."[LEFT]
Read more: NFL | Replacement refs calling same amount of penalties - NFL Hot off the Wire
[/LEFT]

don't believe the media h-y-p-e

Old 09-20-2012, 07:04 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
I don't think they are slowing the pace with ticky tack fouls. I think they are slowing the pace with their lack of knowledge of the NFL rules. When it takes a consultation with an NFL "helper" to figure out where to spot a ball that puts a damper on things.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:20 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Horrible. Just plain horrible.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:59 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
they are doing no such thing, it's either the automatic review process (not in their control) or your imagination.

NFL | Replacement refs calling same amount of penalties - NFL Hot off the Wire

"Statistics show there isn't much difference in the NFL with replacement officials calling penalties despite the outrage from players and coaches. There are strong similarities between the number of flags thrown this year by the temporary crews and last year by regular officials. The average number of penalties per game is down this season from 15.2 to 14.7. Defensive pass interference and illegal contact penalties are up, but only from 48 to 51, even though there has been concern about the lack of such calls."[LEFT]
Read more: NFL | Replacement refs calling same amount of penalties - NFL Hot off the Wire
[/LEFT]

don't believe the media h-y-p-e
The first half of the MNF game lasted almost 2 hours. They are slowing the games down because they have to huddle to do stupid, menial things like spotting the friggin' ball. They are hopelessly in over their heads and it was asinine for the owners to think they could bring in a bunch of high school and D-III refs and get them up to speed on the nuances of the pro game with a few training videos and preseason games.

They're damn lucky they haven't made an egregiously bad call that's cost a team a game yet. It's ridiculous that the owners have their panties in a wad over the scratch they give the refs when they've forked out exponentially more to the players.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:37 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
What I don't like is the way the players and coaches are treating these guys. They are acting like they are in middle school and the replacement refs are substitute teachers.

Right or wrong, treat them with respect and quit acting like a bunch of spoiled children!

Old 09-21-2012, 01:12 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,894,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
What I don't like is the way the players and coaches are treating these guys. They are acting like they are in middle school and the replacement refs are substitute teachers.

Right or wrong, treat them with respect and quit acting like a bunch of spoiled children!
Agreed... John Fox was a flat out jerk on MNF!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football