U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 09:00 PM

3,722 posts, read 3,877,834 times

Advertisements

Your thoughts on the replacement refs are?

Watching this MNF game between Denver and Atlanta and looks like the refs are struggling a bit. I know there have been other instances over the first two weeks of mistakes and whatnot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 09:08 PM

774 posts, read 651,257 times
the NFL isn't worth watching right now

Old 09-17-2012, 10:00 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
I don't mind the ineptitude, I think it adds another element to the game that the teams can't control. Just think of this as the human version of the pointy ends on the football. I just wish they could formulate a complete sentence occasionally.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:18 PM

10,674 posts, read 11,081,079 times
I was going to start a similar thread, but will just share my thoughts on this one. Full disclosure: I am a Broncos fan and write this just minutes after the Broncos loss to the Falcons in MNF.

The replacement refs are no worse than the regulars. They made some bad calls and some good. There were moments when I could swear that they were as blind as a bat on the dark side of the moon. There were moments when they reviewed the plays and made the right call. Seems like a few bad calls benefitted both teams at points in this game. Seemed to me that both teams got away with a few holds here and there. Seems to me that this is the case every week when the regular refs call the games.

I think these guys are just fine. Already I'm seeing fans blame refs for bad calls that result in a loss for their team. I watched a lot of different games this week and last and I cannot honestly say these guys are any worse than the regulars.

I will say that when teams begin to push and shove between plays, they need to assert themselves more. Start tossing players from games if they don't back off the ball fast enough. Assaunte Samuel bumped one of them. A regular would have tossed him from the game. That needs to start happening between plays. As for the plays themselves, the replacements are no worse than the regulars.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:24 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,754,055 times
Horrible. I can't see how anyone thinks differently. They don't even know the rules. Don't know where to spot the ball. Completely killing the pace of the game.

Would the regular refs be perfect? No. Would they be better than these guys? Without a doubt.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:35 PM

1,080 posts, read 826,964 times
^^Agree. . .As bad as the regular refs are, these guys are worse, overall, it affects and hurts the game.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:22 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,221,188 times
I see very little difference..this aint rocket science.. its not like the refs sitting at home have some secret formula that these new guys (and gals) will never understand.. The only advantage the refs sitting at home have is experience and that advantage is disappearing every week. I am on neither side of the fight between the refs and the league. I don't care either way who wins the fight.. I just want NFL football and to be honest, without these replacements, we wouldn't have it so kudos to them!!! If it were up to the regular REFs, we wouldn't be watching NFL right now.. keep that in mind when bashing the replacements.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:49 AM

73 posts, read 127,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I was going to start a similar thread, but will just share my thoughts on this one. Full disclosure: I am a Broncos fan and write this just minutes after the Broncos loss to the Falcons in MNF.

The replacement refs are no worse than the regulars. They made some bad calls and some good. There were moments when I could swear that they were as blind as a bat on the dark side of the moon. There were moments when they reviewed the plays and made the right call. Seems like a few bad calls benefitted both teams at points in this game. Seemed to me that both teams got away with a few holds here and there. Seems to me that this is the case every week when the regular refs call the games.

I think these guys are just fine. Already I'm seeing fans blame refs for bad calls that result in a loss for their team. I watched a lot of different games this week and last and I cannot honestly say these guys are any worse than the regulars.

I will say that when teams begin to push and shove between plays, they need to assert themselves more. Start tossing players from games if they don't back off the ball fast enough. Assaunte Samuel bumped one of them. A regular would have tossed him from the game. That needs to start happening between plays. As for the plays themselves, the replacements are no worse than the regulars.
Enough said...this topic is blown out of proportion by the media. The fact is, better teams are winning games, crappy teams are losing games. Pats were an abberation though

Old 09-18-2012, 06:21 AM

4,164 posts, read 4,615,032 times
I thought during Week 1, they weren't bad. But Week 2 seemed to be a different story. It feels like the players are testing them now and trying to see what they can get away with. While the regular refs might not make better calls, at least they seem to have respect among the players and can keep control of the game. These refs seem to be losing control of many games now and get no respect from the players as the players know they are just replacements.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:13 AM

23,631 posts, read 33,419,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Horrible. I can't see how anyone thinks differently. They don't even know the rules. Don't know where to spot the ball. Completely killing the pace of the game.

Would the regular refs be perfect? No. Would they be better than these guys? Without a doubt.
Agree totally. At least the regulars were competent at most times and the game would substain a decent flow. With all the extended conferences to get calls straight, it makes game time go longer and ruins the flow.

PFT reported that the refs in St. Louis missed an obvious taunting call on Chris Long on the same play that Josh Morgan got his 15 yards. They said Long was warned once and then continued to do the taunt to the Redskins bench. That was really important since the penalties would have offset giving the Redskins a makeable FG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football