U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 08:24 AM

10,698 posts, read 11,734,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Vince Young has to be one of the biggest disappointments I've seen in a long time. In college and in his first year he seemed like he was mature beyond his years, but somewhere along the way he just snapped. It reminds me of Ricky Williams a little. A guy with a ton of talent who just couldn't stay out of his own way when he hit the big time. Ironic they're both ex-longhorns. Williams was at least able to come back and partially rebuild his career, but if Vinny does it he'll have to be a converted player somehow. The wildcat and newer red zone offenses just might be his saving grace if he ever can convince an NFL team to give him another shot. He's still a tremendously talented athlete; he just might need a system like what the Jets and Panthers use in the zone, and he needs the humility to accept that role. But being the guy to run the team? Nah, those days are done.
No one ever fails due to lack of talent or intellect. "Character flaws"...."heart issues" are what destroy even the most gifted among us.

He had character issues from the beginning.

Mike Vick changed his character........and now he will go further, sans any injuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 01:32 PM

21,494 posts, read 22,061,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
No one ever fails due to lack of talent or intellect. "Character flaws"...."heart issues" are what destroy even the most gifted among us.

He had character issues from the beginning.

Mike Vick changed his character........and now he will go further, sans any injuries.
character don't change, not for long anyway

Old 09-19-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
character don't change, not for long anyway

Yes it does......

Many have done it.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:04 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,423,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Yes it does......

Many have done it.
I'm with you here... Ghenghis is wrong. Ray Lewis and Chris Carter are two great examples.

And if it were true that would mean that humans have no hope after age 17 or so once their initial character is formed. Yea That's ridiculous...

Old 09-19-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I'm with you here... Ghenghis is wrong. Ray Lewis and Chris Carter are two great examples.

And if it were true that would mean that humans have no hope after age 17 or so once their initial character is formed. Yea That's ridiculous...
yep

Old 09-20-2012, 09:15 AM

977 posts, read 1,562,125 times
What do you expect from a guy who scored a 6 on the Wonderlic his first time taking it?

Old 09-20-2012, 10:40 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,383,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
What do you expect from a guy who scored a 6 on the Wonderlic his first time taking it?
Heh, I forgot about that. Though I'm sure I buy the correlation. It really is depressing how this same scenario plays out over and over again.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:50 AM

1,080 posts, read 831,658 times
Family, culture, upbringing, environment, values, are all traits that make/influence character. Very difficult for many to overcome what is inherent. Most of these athletes are not taught from a young age values and responsibility, etc. They inherit instant millions, don't have a clue about finances/accounting, enter leeches and the cycle repeats itself. Sad.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:17 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,903,662 times
Some highlights:

1. Vince Young’s favorite restaurant to hang out in? T.G.I. Friday’s on Nashville’s West End Avenue. It was here he once dropped $6k on a meal for he and other players. Yes, $6k. At a T.G.I.Friday’s. Players would congregate at the bar
2. The bartenders, who got to know Vince thanks to his frequent visits at T.G.I. Friday’s, told Vince they’d make him a “special” drink. It was a melon drop. Which VY had everytime he came to the restaurant.
3. During his rookie season VY spent $5k a week at the Cheesecake Factory. He always picked up the tab for multiple teammates.
4. On a 2007 Southwest flight from Nashville to Houston, VY bought all of the seats except for about ten passengers who’d bought tickets before he could buy the entire plane. The plane seated 130 passengers, meaning VY purchased 120 of the seats.
5. After each home football game, VY headed for the Morton’s downtown where he would sit at the bar and order $600 shots of Louis XIII. That can add up in a hurry.
6. LenDale White consumed quantities of Patron tequila that would kill a normal man. In fact, LenDale was kicked out of the T.G.I. Friday’s in Cool Spring for bringing his own bottles of Patron to the restaurant’s happy hour. White once ordered 75 shots of Patron at Dave and Buster’s spent thirty minutes there, and paid a $1500 tab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or