U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 05:38 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,446,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
In all fairness to Smith, he didn't have nearly the talent to work with or the coaching support that Wilson has had. I don't want to make this thread about Alex Smith, but I feel it's fair to point that out. Alex probably would have benefited much sooner from having a guy like Harbaugh around in 2007 or 2008, as opposed to 2011. Alex Smith is a good quarterback. He's not going to be remembered among the greats, but put him on a team with talent and under a coach that knows what to do with him, and he'll win. Russell Wilson is the same, and arguably, he's accomplished more than Smith at this stage.
It's not even arguable that RW is better ........

Alex Smith has never thrown for 26 TDs in a season ... Wilson has done it twice ... Wilson has put up a 64% and 63% completions in his 2 years ...... Smith has exceeded that once (and it wasn't a full season) ........ Smith threw 25 ints in his first 27 games - Wilson has thrown 20 through 36 games (including playoffs) .... Smith has broken a 100 passer rating once in his career - Wilson has hit that mark each of his first two seasons .... Alex Smith has 13 career game winning drives - Wilson has 10 .... Wilson has been top 5 in both YPC and YPA in each of his first two seasons and top 10 in each season in TD passes

Through Smith's first 40 starts he was 660 of 1172 (56.3%) for 7,029 yards (176 yards per start, 10.65 per completion, 5.99 per attempt), 37 TDs, 43 Ints and a pretty awful rating

Wilson has played 37 games including the playoffs. He has completed 591 of 930 attempts (63.5%) for 7,571 yards (205 yards per game, 12.8 per completion, 8.14 per attempt) for 58 TDs and 20 Ints with a rating over 100.

Wilson has also added 1,197 yards rushing and 6 rushing TDs - Smith added 390 and 2 TDs

A lot of people are starting with this Russell Wilson is just an Alex Smith type player and it's nuts ........ Smith would kill for Wilsons arm and deep ball ability and hasn't done anything close to what Wilson has accomplished out there .... even when he had the great running game with Gore and great SF defenses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 05:54 PM

55 posts, read 87,687 times
I was listening to Tom Jackson and Trent Dilfer's comments on who the MVP should go to and they made a very good case for Wilson. If you could give it to the entire defense then I agree with it. You could even give it to Harvin as well. But, I agree with Dilfer's comments. Wilson controlled his team in the first half. He was 4 for 6 during third downs to keep the drive going. "Wilson was good during the hard stuff" as Dilfer said. He threw for over 200 yards, 2 td and over 70% completion. He is the only quarterback not to win the MVP with those stats.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:10 PM

5,305 posts, read 2,701,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelquefois View Post
I was listening to Tom Jackson and Trent Dilfer's comments on who the MVP should go to and they made a very good case for Wilson. If you could give it to the entire defense then I agree with it. You could even give it to Harvin as well. But, I agree with Dilfer's comments. Wilson controlled his team in the first half. He was 4 for 6 during third downs to keep the drive going. "Wilson was good during the hard stuff" as Dilfer said. He threw for over 200 yards, 2 td and over 70% completion. He is the only quarterback not to win the MVP with those stats.
He probably should have won it. But since the D was so good they probably figured it had to be someone from the D. Who decides the super bowl mvp anyways? The refs?

Old 02-04-2014, 06:55 PM

55 posts, read 87,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
I've never been a big fan of "athletic running, mediocre arm strength, can't throw a timing route or deep out, type QB in the NFL. And Wilson is all those things......however, the man plays smart and within himself and does not lose games. He does not press and force things and is mature for his time in the league. He is not a QB, who will win you a championship, he is a QB who will participate in a team effort to go get one. and he did just that.

His overall, traditional skill set is below average, but he plays smart, within his game, knows his limits and respects it and plays on a team with an amazing defense.
I would have to disagree with your statements but if you want to call him a game manager based on your critique then so be it. I will quote the Hall of Famer Steve Young and paraphrase it a bit, "80% of a quaterbacks job is a game manager, A true test of a great quarter back is what he does during 3rd down. That's where Wilson succeeds, he gets it done when need be. He comes through when the team needs it.
Would you rather have Tony Romo with ridiculous numbers, throwing for 500 yards but mucks it up during crunch time when the team needs him to pull through.

Wilson does what he's asked to do. The coaching staff has great game plan. Actually, it's smart football. No need to throw insane numbers. You play to your strenght.

For comparsion, let's compare Tom Brady's numbers this season to Wilson's season.

Brady
TDs 25
Int 11
Yards 4343
Rating 87.3
Tom Brady: Career Stats at NFL.com

Wilson
TDs 26
Int 9
Yards 3357
Rating 101.2
Russell Wilson, QB for the Seattle Seahawks at NFL.com

Wilson threw more TDs and less interceptions and has a higher quarter back rating then Brady this past season. I mean if that's what it means to have a below average skill set, no one is saying Brady had below average skill set this season.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:56 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,344,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
To the people wondering what false information is out there on Wilson

It's this type of garbage

Mediocre arm strength?

Can't throw a deep out?

Can't throw a timing out?

What next, he has short arms and small hands?

Please tell me how a guy with little arm strength, with bad timing and not being able to throw a deep out was #4 in yards per attempt both this year and last year

His down the field stats this year were also very good
Great thing about Russell is he can have some 300 pound defender in hot pursuit and make a clean throw for a TD. Kaepernick can throw in motion like that, but he's picked off more. So is Romo, Griffin, Luck. As to relative power, I'm not sure what the importance is if Russell is taking care of the ball.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:02 AM

9,349 posts, read 5,574,293 times
With that defense...you could probably start Rex Grossman under Center for Seattle and they'd win the Superbowl.

Wilson for the most part isn't asked to do a whole lot. Yes, he has pretty good numbers, but he throws the ball less than any other QB in the NFL (Wilson is 32nd in pass attempts per game). That is not a slight against Wilson, as he's just following orders and running the plays that are called. I am not saying Wilson isn't capable of running a more pass heavy, "put the team on your shoulders and throw for 300+ yards and 3 TDs" kind of QB. But when you look at QBs like Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Ryan, etc...who average over 38 passes per game, they have a lot more responsibility to take control and win.

With Seattle's defense being so good, Seattle runs the ball...A LOT. Wilson is asked to convert on 3rd and long, which he does very well. But most of the time, they run a "grind out the clock" kind of offense, and win games with defense and Marshawn Lynch.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:50 AM

5,147 posts, read 6,344,492 times
Quote:
With that defense...you could probably start Rex Grossman under Center for Seattle and they'd win the Superbowl
Christian Ponder?

Old 02-05-2014, 09:30 AM

9,029 posts, read 16,446,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
With that defense...you could probably start Rex Grossman under Center for Seattle and they'd win the Superbowl.

Wilson for the most part isn't asked to do a whole lot. Yes, he has pretty good numbers, but he throws the ball less than any other QB in the NFL (Wilson is 32nd in pass attempts per game). That is not a slight against Wilson, as he's just following orders and running the plays that are called. I am not saying Wilson isn't capable of running a more pass heavy, "put the team on your shoulders and throw for 300+ yards and 3 TDs" kind of QB. But when you look at QBs like Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Ryan, etc...who average over 38 passes per game, they have a lot more responsibility to take control and win.

With Seattle's defense being so good, Seattle runs the ball...A LOT. Wilson is asked to convert on 3rd and long, which he does very well. But most of the time, they run a "grind out the clock" kind of offense, and win games with defense and Marshawn Lynch.
Simply not true

Rex Grossman is a turnover machine that would kill the team

People say the same thing about Dilfer and the 2000 ravens ......... while Dilfer isn't a great QB and not on the level of someone like Wilson, not just anyone could have led that team to a title .... as shown by their start under Tony Banks

Wilson has more wins than any other QB after 2 years, only QB in NFL history with a 100+ rating in each of his first two years, is only behind Dan Marino in TD passes after 2 seasons (Wilson tied Manning with TDs thrown in the regular season, but has logged 5 rushing TDs to 2 to jump ahead in total TDs ..... If you include playoffs it obviously slants even further as Manning lost his only playoff game in his first two years and logged 1 TD running, but none throwing)

Then throw in the leadership, preparation, etc ........ just silly to discount what this guy does and he's only going to get better

Old 02-05-2014, 09:32 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,612,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
It's not even arguable that RW is better ........

Alex Smith has never thrown for 26 TDs in a season ... Wilson has done it twice ... Wilson has put up a 64% and 63% completions in his 2 years ...... Smith has exceeded that once (and it wasn't a full season) ........ Smith threw 25 ints in his first 27 games - Wilson has thrown 20 through 36 games (including playoffs) .... Smith has broken a 100 passer rating once in his career - Wilson has hit that mark each of his first two seasons .... Alex Smith has 13 career game winning drives - Wilson has 10 .... Wilson has been top 5 in both YPC and YPA in each of his first two seasons and top 10 in each season in TD passes

Through Smith's first 40 starts he was 660 of 1172 (56.3%) for 7,029 yards (176 yards per start, 10.65 per completion, 5.99 per attempt), 37 TDs, 43 Ints and a pretty awful rating

Wilson has played 37 games including the playoffs. He has completed 591 of 930 attempts (63.5%) for 7,571 yards (205 yards per game, 12.8 per completion, 8.14 per attempt) for 58 TDs and 20 Ints with a rating over 100.

Wilson has also added 1,197 yards rushing and 6 rushing TDs - Smith added 390 and 2 TDs

A lot of people are starting with this Russell Wilson is just an Alex Smith type player and it's nuts ........ Smith would kill for Wilsons arm and deep ball ability and hasn't done anything close to what Wilson has accomplished out there .... even when he had the great running game with Gore and great SF defenses
Okay, memo, read carefully: I never said RW wasn't better. I'm just saying that Alex Smith has been underrated and under-utilized his entire career.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:34 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,612,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
W but Tom Brady won the Super Bowl in what was effectively his rookie year (he was a backup QB his first year I believe) and he didn't have the benefit of such an awesome D.
You're seriously underrating the Patriots defense in 2001, which was arguably the best defense it has had during the Belichick era. It stopped the Midwest Express, a team that put up sick numbers against most of the league that year. The secondary and LBs were extremely good that year: Milloy, Law, Bruschi, etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or