U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 03:03 PM

3,241 posts, read 1,605,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
^^^ I echo those sentiments. I like Wilson a lot but Carroll, Tate and Sherman leave a lot to be desired.
Sometimes an attitude can be helpful in intimating an opponent. Not sure that Golden Tate intimate anyone but Sherman and the rest of the DB do sure and good for them as the fans in Seattle love it.
If you are referring to USC getting sanctions because of Reggie Bush then you need to look at the SEC and ACC. Cam Newton and Winston come to mind. Why did people outside of the SE smell cover up.

Quote:
The SEC is no stranger to scandal. From 2002-2004, the SEC had four separate programs dealing with postseason bans, according to AL.com.
And recently Miss St and Miami have been investigated. But nothing seems to happen to any team from either the SEC or ACC for some reason. Just teams that threaten the SEC dominates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 03:21 PM

12,253 posts, read 18,008,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
From my vantage point, Seattle is a totally different team on the road. But I think its a skewed perception that comes from how well they play at home. Being unbeatable at home and loosing on the road once and having a few more close games on the road causes the skewed perception.

I think the Seahawks can beat any team any where but at home they likely win by 21 while on the road it would probably be closer to 10..
Isn't that the case with most teams? Most teams play much better at home than on the road.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I can understand why others wouldn't like them .... but they really leave very little to be desired - great team members, very hard workers, play full out all the time, practice hard, great in the community, great with the fans

I've grown to love them all
If you are not a Seahawks fan you are not gonna like them, especially not the mentioned people..lol. I went to the Rams game a few weeks ago and the old guy in front of me was upset over something the Hawks did, and continued say that their team, the Rams, were good guys, couldn't anything wrong and bla bla..lol.
Like I said before, this team used to suck. Nobody talked or cared about the Seahawks. Suddenly they are doing great and for some people that's hard to swallow. But most people are cool about it.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 12-05-2013 at 04:19 PM..

Old 12-05-2013, 04:12 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,957,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Like I said before, this team used to suck. Nobody talked or cared about the Seahawks. Suddenly they are doing great and for some people that's hard to swallow. But must people are cool about it.
Lot of fair weather fans in Seattle... when the team fades the stands will be just as empty as they are at Mariners games.

For me, the Seahawk pill will be easier to swallow if they actually win the Super Bowl they won in November. I must have missed it when they started awarding championship trophies to the team who was 10-1 and on top of the ESPN power rankings on November 30th of each year.

Atlanta won the best team in the NFL through November trophy last year...

Green Bay the year before that...

... but someone else won the Lombardi.

Nothing wrong with being confident to the point of arrogance though!

Old 12-05-2013, 04:19 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,438,315 times
Cool thing is, that no one really cares what you think or what makes you happy or how you prefer to swallow your pills

Don't expect anyone to be less excited because it may offend your delicate sensibilities

For us long time fans we haven't seen a team like this, so of course we're going to enjoy every single moment of it

For the people getting caught up just now, welcome aboard and enjoy the ride

It's a fun team that plays a well balanced style, has great personalities, is tremendous in the community and to their fans ........ that is what resonates with Seahawk fans - that is what is going to keep them excited, even to the detriment of your sanity

Old 12-05-2013, 04:23 PM

In always wondered about fair weather fans in general. I am a fairly new fan, early 2000s. But I am not American born either. My husband has been a fan since they came to Seattle in the 70s. My father in law used to be a packers fan before Seattle got their own team. Lol
But regardless, it is nice when your team is finally doing well. And as far as fair weather fan, it seems like allot of teams suffer from that, not just the Seahawks.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:11 PM

11,723 posts, read 11,553,483 times
People jump on and off the fan band wagons easily days, maybe for many reasons. The internet, sports dedicated TV, the video game generation, etc., I guess.

When I moved to Wisc. 6 yrs. ago, not that far from Green Bay easy to just follow the Packers. People can call me a fair weather fan or whatever they want, don't care! I've never hated other teams, called them dumb names, I don't see the sense in it. I may not like the way some teams are run by the owners compared to others but name calling, silly.

I like watching Russell Wilson, he was fun to watch when he was playing for Wisconsin, watched him that whole season. A nice guy and I hope he is successful, I really do. He deserves it, he is a genuine young man.

Teams go through their ups and downs and I've watched more than my share of teams not doing much! It is great fun when you follow a team and finally see some success! Enjoy the season!

Last edited by susancruzs; 12-05-2013 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-05-2013, 05:41 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,438,315 times
Susan - I can agree with most of that. I never really got into that whole "insulting team name" thing. I've lived all across the country, but have been a fan since '85/'86 ........ I love it when people acuse me of being a bandwagon fan, because it means the team is winning .... no one bandwagons a losing team and for a team like seattle no one is joining the bandwagon if they are merely mediocre - they have to be really good

The team simply resonated with me before I really even knew geography and I've stuck with them - frequently at times when it was very difficult to follow an out of market team .... it's much easier now

I think that's increased the amount of teams you could bandwagon on - but it's really nothing new ..... the popular teams were the ones who were on TV each week as they drew ratings which kept them on TV .... on Sunday you'd have 3 games and 1 on Monday .... the teams were usually the same or a small rotation of the teams - those teams would have the bigger writeups in the paper as well

Many times I couldn't even get a seahawks boxscore until Tuesday as the Monday paper would have "late - dnf"

Now I can throw on the redzone channel and watch bits of every game or hop around games or watch condensed replays or "all 22" footage

I think it's easier to have broader attachments - I think people are growing more transient as well and it's not unusual to travel, move to different cities, etc

Finally, when any team starts to win it just builds excitement .... sports are simply more compelling when they are played at a high level - the markets that struggle are the ones that have issues generating excitement even when the team is pretty decent or they lack the structure to even build a competative team

Old 12-06-2013, 07:16 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,225,826 times
Quote:
I can understand why others wouldn't like them .... but they really leave very little to be desired - great team members, very hard workers, play full out all the time, practice hard, great in the community, great with the fans

I've grown to love them all
Let me quantify my original post by saying that Carroll, Tate and Sherman leave very little to be desired Outside of Seattle and their fan base. If I was a Seahawks fan I would love them all no doubt.

As a fan of the NFL, I have my favorite team but there are also players and coaches from other teams that I have a ton of respect for and genuinely enjoy watching them play and succeed. I would put Russell Wilson in that category but not Pete Carroll, Golden Tate and Richard Sherman and here is WHY;

Pete Carroll left USC just before sanctions came down and crippled the program for years to come. I don't blame Pete for returning to the NFL. Many coaches from college do the same thing but Pete didn't simply return to the NFL for a better job, his job at USC rivaled any job in the NFL. He left because he knew his Trojans were about to fall on hard times and he wasn't man enough to suck it up and stick around. He left town while the getting was good. I simply cannot respect that, I just can't!

Golden Tate is an ego maniac. I am not sure he will ever be as good as he thinks he is. The HOF is not in his future but he certainly thinks it is. But arrogance aside, I once saw him celebrating by crawling around on the ground like a fool after delivering a blind sided cheap shot hit on a LB that knocked the defender out of the game and earned himself a hefty fine from the NFL. Now blocks like this are all too common in the NFL and I probably would have let it go at that if not for the ignorant WWE style celebration he went into all the while another player laid helplessly, semi-conscious on his back. There is simply no place in the NFL for crap like this and the sooner idiots like Tate are banned from the NFL the better the league will be IMO!

Richard Sherman.. where do I start. I will start by saying Sherman is elite.. one of the best if not the best CBs in the league. The HOF could be in his future if he continues at his current pace. My problem with Sherman is his attitude. He obviously has self esteem issues which may go away as he ages, lets hope so at least. He comes across as very childish and immature. He loves attention so much, I am surprised he doesn't change his last name just to create more headlines for himself. His entire shtick is to get inside the WRs head to gain a competitive advantage but Richard doesn't know where the boundaries are.. When you don't know where the boundaries are you show a ton of disrespect not only for the the other teams players but also for the league and the fans.

Of the 3 I mentioned, Richard Sherman has the best chance of becoming a player I greatly respect and admire. He just has to shut up for a few minutes and lets his playing do all his talking.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:09 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,957,951 times
I agree with all that. ^^^

Quote:
Cool thing is, that no one really cares what you think or what makes you happy or how you prefer to swallow your pills

For us long time fans we haven't seen a team like this, so of course we're going to enjoy every single moment of it
You mad bro?

As far as enjoying it, I would to.

I just hope the 'Hawk fans are as good at eating crow as they are at talking smack...

I really could give a rat's one way or another... I just think it's pretty arrogant for fans to say things like "we are going to the Super Bowl and we will win it" which is plastered over a lot of local blogs, NFL.com, FoxSports... etc.... when a playoff game hasn't even been played yet.

You'd think they'd learn from Hasselbeck's coin flip comments in that GB playoff game... and of course the recent history... you know, 18 of the last 20 top seeds NOT winning the Super Bowl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or