U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-06-2013, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Born & Raised DC > Carolinas > Seattle > Denver
9,349 posts, read 5,603,674 times
Reputation: 9451

Advertisements

Man, sometimes you guys make me feel like a hater LOL. Russell Wilson is good....damn good. But do we sometimes forget that he has the #2 running back in the NFL with Marshawn Lynch, and the #2 defense in the NFL....and the #1 homefield advantage possibly in ALL of American sports??

I like Russell Wilson, so let's get that "skins fan is a hater" out of the way. Hell, He's even the starting QB on one of my fantasy teams. But when your defense holds opponents to 15.4 points per game, and your running back is the 2nd leading rusher in the NFL, it takes a lot of pressure off your shoulders.

I'm an RG3 fan, but I'll admit up front that Wilson is probably more mature and poised than Griffin, Kaepernick, Tannehill, and any other young QB. The guy is a flat out stud.

But if you look at the stats, Wilson is ranked 17th in total yards, 14th in total QBR, and 24th in yards per game. Wilson's stats are right in the middle of the pack...nothing really special jumping out here. Peyton Manning literally has twice as many TD throws as Wilson.

Hope you guys don't take this the wrong way...and I apologize if I did a poor job at showing the kid respect. Wilson is a terrific QB. Probably be one of the best in the next 2-3 years. But he benefits GREATLY from having literally the 2nd best running back in the NFL, and literally the #2 defense in the NFL.

If you were to plug Kaepernick, RG3, Tannehill...into that Seattle team...they might have similar numbers.

Let me put my riot gear body armor on real quick and wait for replies...LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-06-2013, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
2,533 posts, read 3,973,174 times
Reputation: 2816
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Man, sometimes you guys make me feel like a hater LOL. Russell Wilson is good....damn good. But do we sometimes forget that he has the #2 running back in the NFL with Marshawn Lynch, and the #2 defense in the NFL....and the #1 homefield advantage possibly in ALL of American sports??

I like Russell Wilson, so let's get that "skins fan is a hater" out of the way. Hell, He's even the starting QB on one of my fantasy teams. But when your defense holds opponents to 15.4 points per game, and your running back is the 2nd leading rusher in the NFL, it takes a lot of pressure off your shoulders.

But if you look at the stats, Wilson is ranked 17th in total yards, 14th in total QBR, and 24th in yards per game. Wilson's stats are right in the middle of the pack...nothing really special jumping out here. Peyton Manning literally has twice as many TD throws as Wilson.
I agree... he walked into the perfect situation that every rookie dreams about. I doubt he would be 22-6 as a starter if he played for the Jags... his stats are normal at best. Nothing superstar at all... He is being carried by a great team.

As said though I've got a lot of respect for Wilson. He is a solid player with a great attitude. His off the field activities have been impressive..... like the other night after the Saints game he made a kid's dream when he took the Make a Wish kid out onto the field.

He could have been partying with his teammates...

Thumbs up for Wilson... maybe someday some of the clowns on the team will follow his lead... *cough* Tate Sherman *cough*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2013, 10:15 AM
 
9,035 posts, read 16,491,381 times
Reputation: 6832
They wouldn't though

Guy makes all the throws and does what is needed of him

Since the start of last year only 2 QBs have higher passer ratings - Manning & Brady .... if you erase his first 8 games which were kind of rough as he was splitting 1st team reps in a 3 way QB competition all through camp then it removes Brady from that list

With 1 more win he'll have more wins than any other QB in league history for their first two years

He's already one of only 4 QBs in league history to throw over 20 TDs in each of his first two seasons

If you look at his average yards per attempt, average yards per completion and his downfield (+15 yard) completion percentage they are all insanely good

Benchmarking against Manning is a bit nuts when you consider that Manning is putting up some of the best stats in the history of the league - RW is currently 6th in the league in TD passes which is pretty good ...... Manning is almost double that, but it says more about Manning than Wilson .... for context Wilson is only 7 TDs behind the #2 position of Drew Brees - Manning is just blowing the league away at this time

Most of this has been done this year behind a complete patchwork of an offensive line that has given him zero support (until a couple weeks ago he was the most pressure QB in the league - I don't believe he's in the basement after the past few games with the OL rounding out again, but still near league bottom .... he's also had to square up against some monster defenses and incredible front sevens over that time as well

The guy also has 7 4th quarter comebacks and 9 game winning drives in his first 30 games - the defense and running game shorten the game and help keep it close .... but when the rubber meets the road so much falls on his shoulders and in instances where they've gotten off to bad starts and have needed to sling it to get back into the game he's absolutely shined ...... it's just not a smart way to play all game every game given the construct of the team

Throw in his leadership, his smarts, the way he can avoid pressure and minimize bad situations it's very impressive - he completely sets the tone for both sides of the ball - for any QB that is important, for a 2nd year guy it's pretty much unheard of

Many want to try and minimize what he does, but if you watch him play in and play out you'll see just how very good he is ..... that pass to Kearse on the TD drive before the half, incredible .... 3rd and 9 and throws an absolutely perfect strike on a difficult pass that keeps the drive alive that will go for a TD and extend their lead from 13 to 20 - complete game changer at that moment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2013, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Born & Raised DC > Carolinas > Seattle > Denver
9,349 posts, read 5,603,674 times
Reputation: 9451
It won't let me "rep" you anymore, Kees. But I totally agree with you. The kid is a legit QB on the field, and a good man off the field. I have a ton of respect for him.

As much as I love me some RG3, I hope he takes this god awful season as a big slice of humble pie and comes back next year more focused, less "me," and more "team." Griffin can be humble at times, but other times his ego shows right through his jersey. Russell Wilson is always modest, quiet, and calm. Love that about him.

I don't want to label Wilson as "game manager," because I do believe he's more than that. But again, he's just about middle of the pack with most of his QB stats. Not a whole lot is asked of him. Play it safe, don't turn the ball over. Hand it off to Marshawn Lynch, make some good, safe throws, and the defense will take care of the rest.

One important thing we all need to acknowledge, Russel Wilson is not asked to go out there and put the team on his shoulders to win the game. The Packers ask Rodgers (or his back ups) to do that, Nick Foles is asked to do that, RG3 is asked to do that, Peyton manning is asked to do that, Phillip Rivers. A lot of good QBs in this league unfortunately have horrible defenses, so its literally on them to put up a ton of points and win a shootout 35-31 every week. Russell Wilson is not tasked with that. Again, the pressure on Wilson is minimal compared to other QBs around the league. Seattle can score 17 points and win, thanks to their defense. Two weeks ago against the Chiefs, Phillip Rivers hung 41 points on the Chiefs defense and ALMOST LOST, 41-38. Wilson doesn't have to do that.

I'll stop now, because I feel like I'm hating on the kid, when I know I'm not. But others might think I am LOL. I'm simply asking folks to acknowledge the fact that Wilson, with that defense, has it A LOT easier than most QBs as far as having to put up big points to win. I don't see how that can even be argued really....

Last edited by skins_fan82; 12-06-2013 at 10:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2013, 10:18 AM
 
9,035 posts, read 16,491,381 times
Reputation: 6832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Thumbs up for Wilson... maybe someday some of the clowns on the team will follow his lead... *cough* Tate Sherman *cough*
What lead?

Both of those guys are incredible workers who sell out for their teamates and are great in the community

RW and Tate are pretty much inseperable off the field

All 3 are key contributors to an excellent team that is sitting at 11-1

If the swagger upsets fans of other teams, all the better ......... we never cared about you anyway and you all were always quick to dismiss us ...... you may not like it, but this team will hit you until you know they are there and will force everyone to pay attention to the PNW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2013, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,740 posts, read 4,267,113 times
Reputation: 4719
It has less to do with the Seahawks and the PNW and more to do with Tate and Sherman.. Sherman has swagger that is ill placed at times, Tate doesn't have swagger, he is just a douche bag and it wouldn't matter what team he played for..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2013, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
2,533 posts, read 3,973,174 times
Reputation: 2816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
What lead?

Both of those guys are incredible workers who sell out for their teamates and are great in the community
They are also showboating asshats... Tate is an average NFL receiver. He certainly is not a Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones.

Sherman is a solid corner but still gets away with a lot.

Wilson doesn't have to run down the field waving at opposing players as he's about to score nor does he have to cheap shot opposing receivers in the end zone.

What lead? Being a professional on AND off the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
It has less to do with the Seahawks and the PNW and more to do with Tate and Sherman.. Sherman has swagger that is ill placed at times, Tate doesn't have swagger, he is just a douche bag and it wouldn't matter what team he played for..
My point exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2013, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Northwest Peninsula
3,267 posts, read 1,624,665 times
Reputation: 1764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
I agree... he walked into the perfect situation that every rookie dreams about. I doubt he would be 22-6 as a starter if he played for the Jags... his stats are normal at best. Nothing superstar at all... He is being carried by a great team.

As said though I've got a lot of respect for Wilson. He is a solid player with a great attitude. His off the field activities have been impressive..... like the other night after the Saints game he made a kid's dream when he took the Make a Wish kid out onto the field.

He could have been partying with his teammates...

Thumbs up for Wilson... maybe someday some of the clowns on the team will follow his lead... *cough* Tate Sherman *cough*
I doubt that either Brady, Brees or Manning would be superstars in Jacksonville or any other bottom dwellers.

Wilson stats are okay considering Seattle is a run first team. In fact Wilson has a 108.5 RTG quarter back rating, which is one of the highest in the league. Only Foles who has only played about half the season as a starter is at 125 and Manning at 115 is better. Kaepernick has a only 88 RTG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2013, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Northwest Peninsula
3,267 posts, read 1,624,665 times
Reputation: 1764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
They are also showboating asshats... Tate is an average NFL receiver. He certainly is not a Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones.

Sherman is a solid corner but still gets away with a lot.

Wilson doesn't have to run down the field waving at opposing players as he's about to score nor does he have to cheap shot opposing receivers in the end zone.

What lead? Being a professional on AND off the field.

My point exactly.
Julio Jones....doesn't he play for the 3-9 Falcons? Doesn't Tate play for the 11-1 Seahawks?
I don't understand you at all, Seattle is not a pass first team, they don't rely on their receivers like most losing teams do. Seattle relies on a balance offensive and their record reflects their success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2013, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
2,533 posts, read 3,973,174 times
Reputation: 2816
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Julio Jones....doesn't he play for the 3-9 Falcons? Doesn't Tate play for the 11-1 Seahawks?
I don't understand you at all, Seattle is not a pass first team, they don't rely on their receivers like most losing teams do. Seattle relies on a balance offensive and their record reflects their success.
LOL whatever dude...

I'm talking about skills as a receiver. Not a teams standings.

Yeah Julio Jones plays for the 3-9 Falcons... well, he did until he was lost for the season like 2 months ago.

Yeah Calvin Johnson plays for the 7-5 Lions.

Now ask ANYONE on the planet that isn't a Seattle fan who they would rather have on their team... are you seriously going say Tate would be chosen over Johnson or Jones?

What's next? Adrian Peterson is a 3rd rate RB because he plays for the 3-8-1 Vikings and Trent Dilfer is a better QB than Dan Marino because he won a Super Bowl?

In other news, nobody cares about an 11-1 record in December. It means NOTHING come playoff time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top