U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 12:34 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,382,658 times

Advertisements

Holy Moly Guacamole..... He definitely is the Bees Knees!

I dunno... just felt the need to go along with the thread titles rythmic ways!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 12:38 PM

9,035 posts, read 16,502,107 times
it's funny how people trying to downplay a QB and how well they are playing also try to downplay the other aspects as well

Wilson just won offensive player of the week

He did this against a team that was 9-2 coming into the game

Marshawn Lynch had only 45 yards on 16 carries (2.8 ypc)

Wilson made them pay for that by completing 22/30 (73%) of his passes, for 310 yards and 3 TDs - that is a sizzling 10.3 ypa and 14 ypc

He picked up 14 first downs by passing - the saints had 12 as a team

He rushed for a team high 47 yards - the Saints rushed for 44

He led scoring drives that started at the 31, 27, 16, 12 & 21 - not exactly benefiting from short fields

This was done with a 2nd round draft pick TE in Zach Miller, 2nd round Golden Tate, undrafted Doug Baldwin, undrafted Jermaine Kearse, undrafted Ricardo Lockette, 5th round rookie TE Luke Willson and 5th round journeyman TE Kellen Davis (who was bailed out when the ball bounced off his face and was caught by undrafted FB Derrick Coleman)

The Saints came into this game with the 3rd best passing defense in the league - they came into the game with an opponents passer rating against that was under 80 ....... RW passer rating in the game was at 139.6 - a solid 60 points above their previous average allowed

He's somehow just there though................

Old 12-06-2013, 12:44 PM

5,743 posts, read 4,272,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Julio Jones....doesn't he play for the 3-9 Falcons? Doesn't Tate play for the 11-1 Seahawks?
I don't understand you at all, Seattle is not a pass first team, they don't rely on their receivers like most losing teams do. Seattle relies on a balance offensive and their record reflects their success.
Food for thought;
I wont argue with the results and prefer a run oriented offense myself but are the Seahawks a predominantly run team out of necessity or philosophy? Do they run more because they don't have an ELITE receiver or do they simply prefer to run.. Would they pass more if they had Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson running routes vs Golden Tate?

An even better question would be: Hypothetically of course, would the Seahawks front office trade Golden Tate for Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones today with no salary implications? Just a simply Player for player trade?

It is possible to be a run first offense and still have a HOF receiver... just ask Michael Irvin of the 90s Cowboys.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:48 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,976,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Food for thought;
I wont argue with the results and prefer a run oriented offense myself but are the Seahawks a predominantly run team out of necessity or philosophy? Do they run more because they don't have an ELITE receiver or do they simply prefer to run.. Would they pass more if they had Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson running routes vs Golden Tate?

An even better question would be: Hypothetically of course, would the Seahawks front office trade Golden Tate for Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones today with no salary implications? Just a simply Player for player trade?

It is possible to be a run first offense and still have a HOF receiver... just ask Michael Irvin of the 90s Cowboys.
Of course they would trade him... in a NY minute.

Irvin was a beast.

Once again we are on the same page... great post.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:54 PM

I don't think that anyone is saying that tate is on the level of a guy like Johnson or Julio Jones

I think the barb was more of a "go ahead and enjoy having the better receiver to warm up your miserable season" to a falcons fan

Seattle has a physical philosophy - it's by design that they look to grind games, protect the ball, shorten drives, try to win time of possession, etc

They'll hurry to the line to limit a subsitition and then take their time and work the clock before actually running the play

There are fewer plays in a seahawks game than there are in the league average game - all of this is by design

It would be difficult for any one receiver to put up league high stats on Seattle - they just don't pass that much and they looks to spread the ball around ......... however, that doesn't mean they don't value this and would be hesitant to pay for such talent

It's why they made the move for Harvin - they thought he could add a dynamic to the passing game that other teams would have to account for, could help extend drives and increase their red zone opportunities as well as shift field position on kick offs ....... they didn't bring him in with the hopes that he'd lead the league in all purpose yards, but value that no matter how many times he touches the ball it would be impactful

Pete absolutely loves big receivers - he also absolutely loves guys with unique skills that they can put into specific roles ...... he would be giddy to have a guy like Jones, Johnson, AJ Green, etc - guys who would give a QB a large margin for error and be a physical presence around the sticks and goal line ....... he'd snap them up in a heart beat

Although their numbers would absolutely drop within the offense - they'd be used to accentuate what the team does and make it better, not alter what the team does

Old 12-06-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I don't think that anyone is saying that tate is on the level of a guy like Johnson or Julio Jones

I think the barb was more of a "go ahead and enjoy having the better receiver to warm up your miserable season" to a falcons fan
Heh.. it's all good. I would think the majority of fans of teams that made the playoffs last year like Atlanta, Houston, Green Bay, Washington, etc... still manage to sleep at night despite the miserable season.

I know I do.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:15 PM

Of course you do - you get to sleep in the aura of the good ship seahawk and all that is good and wonderful - fully soaked into the surroundings, up close and personal view for an incredible team ....... that should definitely help ease your burdens

Oh, that and the whole it's just a game which serves as entertainment being played predominately be guys in their 20s to early 30s that make millions of dollars and at the end of the day their actions really have zero bearing on any of our lives

Old 12-06-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Of course you do - you get to sleep in the aura of the good ship seahawk and all that is good and wonderful - fully soaked into the surroundings, up close and personal view for an incredible team ....... that should definitely help ease your burdens

Oh, that and the whole it's just a game which serves as entertainment being played predominately be guys in their 20s to early 30s that make millions of dollars and at the end of the day their actions really have zero bearing on any of our lives

LOL... true!

Every time I drive by CenturyLink I get that "wow" feeling. It's nice to live in the presence of greatness.

When I do get around to buying a Seattle jersey you better believe it will be a #3.

Russell is the man!

Old 12-06-2013, 02:11 PM

That's the spirit!!

Old 12-06-2013, 03:13 PM

3,269 posts, read 1,628,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
In other news, nobody cares about an 11-1 record in December. It means NOTHING come playoff time.
I don't think a 3-8 Falcon team has anything to worry about come playoff time either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or