U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2013, 07:38 PM

13,300 posts, read 10,492,269 times

Advertisements

It is very hard to offend those who are in power simply because they will not tolerate it. Tell me why is "redskin" not offensive but "yellowskin, blackface and kites" are? I guess it depends on if you have the money/media (Jews), make alot of noise (blacks) or have a worldwide position (Asians) determines if you can be offended enough to demand that type of change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 06:32 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,915,594 times
Good point that they are a small contingency, but its still very offensive

Old 10-11-2013, 06:41 AM

46,819 posts, read 37,004,105 times
Am I offended by it?

No.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:47 AM

3,230 posts, read 1,599,002 times
The term 'Redskin' can be offensive if it use in offensive way, but the football team isn't using it in a offensive way.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:58 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,020,983 times
The name Redskins is offensive. I didn't read this whole thread so I don't know if actual Native Americans responded, and I personally do not care if white people think it is or not. A reason people say the name doesn't matter is because American Indians are a silent minority, unlike blacks, Asians, etc. and some of them are only just now speaking up about the name. Some of them, meaning more than one person, and that minority is significant enough to matter, in my view. So what if the Navajo don't care? Good for them. That doesn't mean no one should care.

Anyway, I'm sure some people have said it but the Cleveland Indians mascot is the absolute worst!!

Old 10-11-2013, 08:00 PM

4,883 posts, read 3,972,759 times
OFFICIAL THEY ARE CHANGING THEIR NAME

Washington Redskins Change Their Name To The D.C. Redskins | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Old 10-12-2013, 09:37 AM

14,547 posts, read 22,409,464 times
In more recent times, that Native American spirituality has been weakened by politicians and resultant exploitation. In reality, the American Indian is greatly honored everywhere. Whole states, cities, rivers, mountains, and great lakes are named after them. The greatest sports teams, noted for courage and bravery, proudly carry their name; yet, the political distortion is to declare that such honors are really defamations and politically incorrect. How such glory could be misconstrued as an indignity is beyond comprehension, but it demonstrates how truth gets distorted into its opposite for political gain. If such a demagogue were successful, imagine that the name of every region, territory, mountain range state, city, town, road, river, sport team, as well as American product names would have to be replaced by some puny substitute.

-David R. Hawkins

Old 10-12-2013, 10:11 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
The term 'Redskin' can be offensive if it use in offensive way, but the football team isn't using it in a offensive way.
sure bud (from wiki), what NA wouldn't be honored with this mockery...

Old 10-12-2013, 10:37 AM

13,343 posts, read 17,399,181 times
We stole your land, killed your people, and put what we called you back in the days on a football jersey. Move along, nothing to see here.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:48 AM

2,946 posts, read 4,876,631 times
I'm not offended but just like most other people on here, I'm not NA. But, I can understand how it can be offensive to NA Americans. Would black people be offended if there was a team called the blackskins? You better believe it. There would be so much outrage and so many marches it would make your head spin.

For those people trying to compare the name redskins to Blackhawks, indians, braves, fighting irish, etc., you are comparing apples to oranges. Those are completely different things. Those are names of groups represented as being fearless and strong. When you call them redskins, it has a different connotation. Sort of like calling someone a black American or calling them a blackskin. You would get a different response. They don't mind being called an African American but not a blackskin.

I heard a guy discussing this on the radio the other day. He lives in the southwest near an Indian reservation and is friends with a lot of the Indians there. He said if you walked up to a group of them and said, how are you Navahos doing today, they wouldn't get upset. But if you walked up to them and asked how are you redskins doing today, you would get the snot beat out of you.

So, I can see how the name can be offensive to them. If you don't think so, then walk up to the next black person you see and call him a blackskin. Or, walk up to the next Indian you see and call him a redskin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or