U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 07:16 AM

5,754 posts, read 4,228,195 times

Advertisements

I certainly realize that this topic is going to be discussed from now on until the name is finally changed and those cheering for that will never pay anymore attention to the redskins, native americans, indians, whatever seems appropriate for you. But mods, I think you need to either combine these threads or simply just close all of them except for one. It's getting pretty ridiculous having multiple threads about the same subject, as much as I like debating on the subject myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 09:32 AM

8,483 posts, read 10,462,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
But mods, I think you need to either combine these threads or simply just close all of them except for one. It's getting pretty ridiculous having multiple threads about the same subject, as much as I like debating on the subject myself.
I agree.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:35 AM

9,349 posts, read 5,563,395 times
The name will never change. ever. Dan Snyder was born and raised in the DC area, he's a Redskins fanatic. he will never change the name. I wish folks would get over it and move on.

Its an election year, so of course all these politicians are coming out of the woodworks, who probably don't care about the name honestly, but are doing it to get votes. And thanks to social media, anybody with twitter, facebook, etc can "fight the good fight" by simply clicking the "like" or "share" button and boom--they're instantly part of the movement. Thanks to the internet, people no longer have to get up off the couch and protest in the streets outside the state capital. Now peole can sit on their butts at home and hit a few buttons, and they're all of a sudden supporting whatever the latest and trendiest social issues that are out there....which is the Redskins name right now.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:41 AM

9,224 posts, read 15,933,274 times
Would Blackskins be offensive?

Would Brownskins be offensive?

Would Yellowskins be offensive?

I think they would, so why is Redskins any different?

I think this looks pretty offensive...

Old 06-19-2014, 10:06 AM

5,936 posts, read 4,667,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post

Who cares? One person's "offensive" is another person's "fourth generation of family season tickets to our favorite sports team's games".

How exactly would changing the name of the team improve the lives of Native Americans?

Less alcoholism?

Less drug abuse?

Less poverty?

Old 06-19-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Who cares? One person's "offensive" is another person's "fourth generation of family season tickets to our favorite sports team's games".

How exactly would changing the name of the team improve the lives of Native Americans?

Less alcoholism?

Less drug abuse?

Less poverty?
Geez no stereotyping there.... can't imagine why you don't care.

I have given up on changing the minds of CD bigots. I find it offensive as do many others... so I care.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:41 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post

Less alcoholism?

Less drug abuse?

Less poverty?
Quote:
Geez no stereotyping there.... can't imagine why you don't care.

I have given up on changing the minds of CD bigots. I find it offensive as do many others... so I care.
the reality is is that you would never get an appologist to consider the logic you first posted. Keep up the good fight though, if for no other reason that it annoys them so.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:

Lets try and answer the huge elephant in the room that not many people want to talk about. So why hasn't there been a huge outcry from society at large, over the past 77 years? It's not like they just named the franchise the "Redskins" a few years ago, they've had the same name since 1937? On rare occasions you would hear small reports on the "Redskins" name controversy but society as a whole didn't really care that much. Now all of a sudden the mass media and everyone else wants to now deem the "Redskins" name as offensive and must go? My question to that is "What took so long??"

It took until 2014 for the masses to say "Hey! This Redskins name is very offensive and we need to change it now!". To me it definitely proves that most people did not care about the Redskins name or didn't really find it that offensive. Plenty of people still went to the games and advertisers still promoted the Redskins brand. The only reason why this agenda to get the "Redskins" name change has caught a lot of momentum is because they are riding off the growing movement of political correctness in this country. It's funny how a lot of those US Senators who urged the NFL to change the "Redskins" name, are the same people who had no problem going to Redskins games before they signed the petition. Why not focus on real issues that actually effect the Native American communities and their reservations. Yet in American society, we put so much focus on petty things to try and stir people up to be offended(usually race based) that's largely pushed by the media.

The media could easily get people stirred up about the Boston "Celtics" and the Notre Dame "Fighting Irish" and say that those names are offensive to Irish Americans and say that those names are very discriminatory and makes fun of their Irish culture. If enough people got behind it and the media pushed a strong enough agenda than they could very well get Boston and Notre Dame to make a name change. While where at it, why not just get rid of the Cleveland "Indians" name or the New Orleans "Voodoo" name in the Arena Football League because that could be offensive to Haitians or anyone who practices the Voodoo religion. As you can see, it's very easy for political correctness in this country to get out of control because you can make an offensive issue out of anything these days.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 06-19-2014 at 11:22 AM..

Old 06-19-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Lets try and answer the huge elephant in the room that not many people want to talk about. So why hasn't there been a huge outcry from society at large, over the past 77 years? It's not like they just named the franchise the "Redskins" a few years ago, they've had the same name since 1937? On rare occasions you would hear small reports on the "Redskins" name controversy but society as a whole didn't really care that much. Now all of a sudden the mass media and everyone else wants to now deem the "Redskins" name as offensive and must go? My question to that is "What took so long??"

It took until 2014 for the masses to say "Hey! This Redskins name is very offensive and we need to change it now!". To me it definitely proves that most people did not care about the Redskins name or didn't really find it that offensive. Plenty of people still went to the games and advertisers still promoted the Redskins brand. The only reason why this agenda to get the "Redskins" name change has caught a lot of momentum is because they are riding off the growing movement of political correctness in this country. It's funny how a lot of those US Senators who urged the NFL to change the "Redskins" name, are the same people who had no problem going to Redskins games before they signed the petition. Why not focus on real issues that actually effect the Native American communities and their reservations. Yet in American society, we put so much focus on petty things to try and stir people up to be offended(usually race based) that's largely pushed by the media.

The media could easily get people stirred up about the Boston "Celtics" and the Notre Dame "Fighting Irish" and say that those names are offensive to Irish Americans and say that those names are very discriminatory and makes fun of their Irish culture. If enough people got behind it and the media pushed a strong enough agenda than they could very well get Boston and Notre Dame to make a name change. While where at it, why not just get rid of the Cleveland "Indians" name or the New Orleans "Voodoo" name in the Arena Football League because that could be offensive to Haitians or anyone who practices the Voodoo religion. As you can see, it's very easy for political correctness in this country to get out of control because you can make an offensive issue out of anything these days.

Couldn't you ask the same thing about almost any offensive historical element?

Why did it take so long for slavery to be abolished?
Why did it take so long for gay rights?
Why did it take so long for women equal rights?

Some things just need time to sink in, open eyes & minds and for those to gain strength to say enough is enough.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Couldn't you ask the same thing about almost any offensive historical element?

Why did it take so long for slavery to be abolished?
Why did it take so long for gay rights?
Why did it take so long for women equal rights?

Some things just need time to sink in, open eyes & minds and for those to gain strength to say enough is enough.
By gaining strength you mean trying by to stirring up controversy to push the agenda of political correctness. Keep in mind that it all of a sudden took until 2014 for the masses to realize that the term "Redskins" can be offensive. Come on dude, stop drinking the Kool-aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or