U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 05:13 AM

21,549 posts, read 22,133,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
...How is changing the name of Washington's pro football team improve the daily lives of impoverished native Americans?
for starters, maybe their many social interests and injustices could begin to be taken a little more seriously if we could stop thinking of the NAs as a Saturday morning cartoon caricature and begin to think of them as human beings. But if someone like you can't grasp that simple concept on your own, there isn't much chance of you caring about the more important issues anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcJj...yer_detailpage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 06:50 AM

4,938 posts, read 4,012,648 times
NO it is not offensive
It is tradition, the tradition of football.
Our society has gotten way too hung up, imho, of trying to be too "politically correct"
Leave it alone. If we have to change the name, then we will call them the "D.C.Redskins"

Old 06-20-2014, 07:00 AM
Q44

895 posts, read 775,122 times
As a NYer growing up a St John's 'Redmen' fan I was upset when they changed their name to the Red Storm. As you get older you realize more and more it was the right thing to do.

As far as the Washington Redskins are concerned, can you think of a single instance in any movie, TV show or Old West novel where the term 'Redskins' was used in a positive complimentary fashion? It was and is a derogatory name. The team and the NFL need to fix it and move along and stop dragging this out.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:01 AM

4,938 posts, read 4,012,648 times
When I posted my original version of this type of article, I was met with scorn, whining and rebuttals that showed why many on here are unemployed and have nothing to do all day but troll the internet.

SO Here is one similar to mine, and I hope at least a few of you can see through to the humor implied.
It’s Official – Every NFL Team Mascot is Offensive (Reader Post) | Flopping Aces

Old 06-20-2014, 07:10 AM

5,952 posts, read 4,704,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
for starters, maybe their many social interests and injustices could begin to be taken a little more seriously if we could stop thinking of the NAs as a Saturday morning cartoon caricature and begin to think of them as human beings. But if someone like you can't grasp that simple concept on your own, there isn't much chance of you caring about the more important issues anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcJj...yer_detailpage
Just because you imagine that those whom you feel superior to think of Indians as "Saturday morning cartoon characters" doesn't make it true.

And what specific cartoon are you referring to? I am not aware of any cartoons on the air that make fun of native Americans. Or is that just part of your rich imagination too?

Since I think of original Americans as human beings I understand that, as human beings, they are sophisticated enough to think of their own lives as more important than the 82 year old name of some city's sports team.

Perhaps they have more important issues to deal with than white guilt.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:14 AM

11,995 posts, read 8,395,385 times
The way I see it the US government is still trying everything they can to destroy the native american culture. They have been at it since 1620. Everyone is so up in arms about slavery and how black people were treated, how about the native indians that were sytematically exterminated over the centuries?
What is wrong with the name "Redskins" it reminds me of a brave, strong, wise and fearless group of people. I imagine this is the same feeling the owners wanted to convey when they named the team.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:19 AM

5,952 posts, read 4,704,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
For the 10th time that is not the point and a really dumb argument. Nobody is claiming a name change will improve their horrible living conditions. If I stop calling my AA neighbor "boy" and asking him to fetch my paper I have not improved his living conditions. That does not mean it would not be the right thing to do.
How is the fact that you choose to personally insult your black neighbor related to a 82 year old name for a sports team?

Where is the Indian March on Washington where millions of native Americans demand that their number one issue...the name of some sports team...be addressed?

If the Redskins became the Fighters or something like that how would the conditions change for the better on Arizona reservations?

Old 06-20-2014, 07:30 AM

10,591 posts, read 6,033,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
How is the fact that you choose to personally insult your black neighbor related to a 82 year old name for a sports team?
Um...maybe because this 82 year old name is insulting to a large number of Native Americans? It's been in all the papers

But again the point was totally missed. The argument was how will a name change solve the poverty and other issues NAs face. The answer is it won't, nobody claimed it would. It's a dumb argument that has nothing to do with topic. Let's try this analogy that I used in another thread. I see a little old lady who has dropped her groceries, so I help her by picking them up. Now this little old lady is on a fixed income and is without heat, food, or clothes. Because I can't help her with her other problems does that mean I should not have helped her with her groceries? Of course it doesn't. It's a dumb argument.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:35 AM

1,183 posts, read 1,391,289 times
The patent office ruling has Obama written all over it. Never met a " victimized" group he didn't like

Old 06-20-2014, 07:38 AM

10,591 posts, read 6,033,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
As far as the Washington Redskins are concerned, can you think of a single instance in any movie, TV show or Old West novel where the term 'Redskins' was used in a positive complimentary fashion? It was and is a derogatory name.
Great point. I'm so stealing this for another board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or