U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 12:59 PM

10,484 posts, read 5,944,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Well if you weren't speaking of Dave (and as much as I disagree with him, he's not acting like a troll), you surely can't be speaking about me, so that leaves you.
LOL

Yeah we totally see this thing differently but skinsguy and I are OK. As long as he doesn't say anything dumb that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 01:02 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,480,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I'm from South Dakota and can tell you that the Redskins logo as it stands now is a much more flattering representation of native americans than what would be replicated for a 21st century NA logo.

As was posted on here before, if you want something that's damned offensive and ridiculing to the NA's, it's the tomahawk chop matched with the chanting that goes on at FS Seminoles and Atlanta Braves games. To me that's insulting to Indians and absolutely annoying to most anyone else just wanting to enjoy the game. I can't stand either team primarily because of it.
I see what you mean. Where is the outcry from the mass media about that? If society is going to attack the Redskins name than you have to go after the racist chants that the Florida State University Seminoles and Atlanta Braves participate in. It would be only fair.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:28 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,241,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
LOL

Yeah we totally see this thing differently but skinsguy and I are OK. As long as he doesn't say anything dumb that is.
LOL!

Not much of a chance of that happening.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:44 PM

Well, looks like the Cleveland Indians are next!

Native American Group Mounts $9B Lawsuit Against Cleveland Indians

And it looks like the Kansas City Chiefs are being targeted as well:

Plaintiff In Redskins Patent Case Urges Kansas City Chiefs To Change Their Name

And looks like there are some rumblings about the Chicago Blackhawks' Logo:

Chicago Blackhawks Logo

And the anti-redskins crowd seems to be getting a political fight on their hands:

VA Lawmakers Form "Redskins Pride Caucus"

This caucus, by the way, is a bi-partisan effort to keep the name.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:33 PM

5,364 posts, read 6,009,750 times
When this is all over, everyone will go back to not caring about Native Americans and their problems. But at least you might get the name changed.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:06 AM

462 posts, read 583,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
It is a horribly racist nickname. I would bet you if they were called the Washington Negroes or the Wetbacks or the Crackers that nickname would have been revoked years ago.
Atlanta Crackers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for "Redskins", yeah it was originally a slur, but you break the name down, it just means "red skin". You can go on and on about historic connotations and what not, but aren't the uniforms of the team red? They wear red "skins" (coverings) then. That makes them the Redskins. Same thing with the Red Sox or White Sox (or older Red Stockings and White Stockings). There is a native mascot inside a drum and feather, but I don't see how this imagery is offensive in the slightest. The face isn't a goofy caricature (see the old Braves logo or Indians logo), but a pretty accurate portrayal of an honorable warrior, colored to match the team colors.

It really comes down to brand name and marketing. The Redskins have won Super Bowls, and are kind of an American institution, being the team playing the nation's top sport from the nation's capital. That's the main reason it is probably never going to change. With all the other transient teams Washington has experienced, the Skins are the one constant. It just wouldn't be the same if they changed their name and logo to something else. Sure the Bullets changed their name to the Wizards, but the Bullets weren't exactly an NBA power or name brand of the magnitude of the Redskins.

Last edited by Hamtonfordbury; 06-27-2014 at 04:34 AM..

Old 06-27-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
Atlanta Crackers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for "Redskins", yeah it was originally a slur, but you break the name down, it just means "red skin". You can go on and on about historic connotations and what not, but aren't the uniforms of the team red? They wear red "skins" (coverings) then. That makes them the Redskins. Same thing with the Red Sox or White Sox (or older Red Stockings and White Stockings). There is a native mascot inside a drum and feather, but I don't see how this imagery is offensive in the slightest. The face isn't a goofy caricature (see the old Braves logo or Indians logo), but a pretty accurate portrayal of an honorable warrior, colored to match the team colors.

It really comes down to brand name and marketing. The Redskins have won Super Bowls, and are kind of an American institution, being the team playing the nation's top sport from the nation's capital. That's the main reason it is probably never going to change. With all the other transient teams Washington has experienced, the Skins are the one constant. It just wouldn't be the same if they changed their name and logo to something else. Sure the Bullets changed their name to the Wizards, but the Bullets weren't exactly an NBA power or name brand of the magnitude of the Redskins.
It wasn't originally a slur. I think Ives Goddard made a good point to dispel that type of misinformation. I do agree with the rest you said though. The logo was created by a Native American and I've always found it to be quite honorable - much more so than a cartoon character. Some have talked about going back to the cursive 'R' and yellow helmet, but that era was strictly a Vince Lombardi thing - which wasn't a very large part of Redskins history. I've said before that I could definitely see the spear and feather helmets coming back - I really loved those helmets!

Old 06-27-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
When this is all over, everyone will go back to not caring about Native Americans and their problems. But at least you might get the name changed.
This is exactly what will happen, and in the big picture, the name change will have done absolutely nothing for civil rights, the Native Americans themselves, and sports teams. All it will do is fuel the fire for any ol' special interest group to flood our nation's courts with frivolous lawsuits of offense.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:10 PM

10,484 posts, read 5,944,584 times
When I was a defender of the name I too screamed "what about the Tomahawk Chop, the Indians mascot" etc. I feel no differently now and I'm glad they are going after those groups as well. The worst by far is the Indians' mascot. I mean it makes Little Black Sambo look like Martin Luther King.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:01 PM

9,421 posts, read 17,417,313 times
No, it's not offensive to me and shouldn't be offensive to anyone. It honors native Americans. Corporations pay millions to have stadiums named after them. Our city was named after the man who platted the railroad to come through our area. The main street that I pull onto every morning was named after our local U.S. senator. This is an honor to these men. Having an NFL team named after a race is an honor to that entire race. It's saying we are a proud team, strong, fearless, warriors. If it had meant anything else, it never would have been picked for a name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or