U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 07:24 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,421,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
As this post proves, some people are insulted by anything and take Political Correctness to a WHOLE new level. It's a reason to complain, plain and simple. MANY sports teams were named after Indian tribes/names etc. It was never an issue until people realized the can sue and cry and whine and line their pockets which is all it's about in the end. Just like the White people who refuse to call Black people black. Because ASSUMING that everybody with black skin is a desendent of Africa knowing how many Black countries their are...NO that's not racist in itself! "There all the same I guess". Political Correctness NEEDS TO GO! All it does is create whining sniveling crybabies.
Why is it whining when they are just answering a question that was asked... ???

Because they gave their opinion and the answer was not to your liking they are whining. Come on... You have to be more intelligent than that.

That's like us saying you are a racist because you don't think it's offensive. Which is ridiculous. They gave an answer to a question. That's not whining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 11:25 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,019,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
As this post proves, some people are insulted by anything and take Political Correctness to a WHOLE new level. It's a reason to complain, plain and simple. MANY sports teams were named after Indian tribes/names etc. It was never an issue until people realized the can sue and cry and whine and line their pockets which is all it's about in the end. Just like the White people who refuse to call Black people black. Because ASSUMING that everybody with black skin is a desendent of Africa knowing how many Black countries their are...NO that's not racist in itself! "There all the same I guess". Political Correctness NEEDS TO GO! All it does is create whining sniveling crybabies.
A "Redskin" in NOT the name of a tribe. It is an extremely negative racial epithet.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:14 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,335,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Incidently.... any team with an "ethnic" nickname is offensive. So the Chiefs, Braves, and Indians are as well. But Redskins is just the worse.

I would hate for there to be a team in the future called the Atlanta "Colored" or "Negroes"... so its just not cool.
Do you get just as offended by the "Fighting Irish" or the "Ragin' Cajuns" or are you simply a hypocrite?

Old 10-05-2012, 03:34 AM

3,675 posts, read 7,860,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The Minneapolis Star Tribune won't even print it. They say "Washington's NFL Team" LOL.
The same with Kansas City Star apparently.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:56 AM

3,032 posts, read 3,169,647 times
They had the right name for the town with their NBA team Wahington Bullets..........was quite fitting back then.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:11 AM

21,457 posts, read 22,018,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Do you get just as offended by the "Fighting Irish" or the "Ragin' Cajuns" or are you simply a hypocrite?
bogus attempt at deflection and completely irrelevant and off topic to the OP's original question. But to humor you and this tired old attempt at justifying your own character flaw...these are by far and away the exception and not the rule to the vast majority of cartoonish and belittling examples out there of the accepted culture that has existed from the very beginning of dehumanizing the native Americans. I don't recall there being a systematic policy that the US Gov't established and followed for hundreds of years to dehumanize and exterminate the Irish or Cajuns as was all too apparently done with the natives.

what's being a hypocrite, is not seeing the term "Redskins" for what it all too apparently really is, and always has been, and somehow pretending it is being done to honor the NAs.

cartoon-lalo-honoring-you

Old 10-05-2012, 05:11 AM

35,108 posts, read 40,447,559 times
Oh please, sports team names have been the same for centuries the ONLY reason any name is offensive now is some politically correct wing nut decided they didn't like it, the same for the Angels, Braves, Bears, Cardinals, etc.

What's next you can't name your vehicle Molly because someone named Molly will get offended that you used "their" name for your car even though you don't know them and the car is older than they are? How about I can't continue to call my dog Walter because some guy gets offended? Maybe I'll have to rename my cat as well since her name translates from Gaelic "Wee Cailleach" to English "Little Witch", cripes. Find something important to fuss about already.

PS ~~ I am a descendant of German (born and raised in Germany, legally came to USA on the boat, Ellis Island, etc.) and The Cherokee Nation and I am not offended by sports team names.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:09 AM

5,734 posts, read 4,258,164 times
I am not offended but how could I be.. I am not NA.. like many folks i do have some NA ancestors but its so far back and removed that it doesn't pull at me like it does others. My 3rd Great Grandfather was 1/2 Cherokee and I wonder if he would be offended? maybe, maybe not.. I have no way of knowing. But I would err on the side of caution and think yea.. he might be. So, in lieu of that I root for the Redskins to LOOSE every game and always have.. GO COWBOYS!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:47 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,894,085 times
In the immortal words of Randal Graves, "Its cool, I'm taking it back".

Old 10-05-2012, 01:18 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,421,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post

Can you read? Do you comprehend, or are you just simply an idiot?

First... I said ANY "ethnic" nicknames are offensive not that "I" get offended.

And I just used examples for a few professional teams...

Last edited by Mr. GE; 10-05-2012 at 01:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or