U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 09:02 AM

15,908 posts, read 10,073,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
That's what I thought
but to me it sounds absolutely ridicolous to say that professional games are shown on Thursday but not on Friday because High Schools play on Friday.

Why does the NFL care about HS football that much?
I guarantee NBA and MLB don't care about HS basketball or baseball

Why? Well, while the Browns are big here in Cleveland, and NE Ohio, so is high school football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 08:55 AM

1,015 posts, read 3,014,141 times
If football were to be played any more days than it already is absolutely nothing would get done around here

Old 10-16-2012, 09:05 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,759,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
If football were to be played any more days than it already is absolutely nothing would get done around here

Good point. US productivity would be even worse than it is now.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:19 PM

607 posts, read 579,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Is that why I haven't been watching the games on Thursday?-lol
This is why I don't like Thursday Night Football. I'm just in agreement with you that I'm not too crazy for it myself.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:44 PM

607 posts, read 579,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Why is it stupid? They have little competition and entire network that they need to grow and promote. It gives the league another night to show a marquee matchup. Player health? How does it negatively impact player health?
I'll concede that going on three days rest isn't a big deal to an already healthy player, but we'll agree to disagree on the ideal of it. I just think it takes away from the tradition of Sunday and Monday football, and it just seems as though it's all about money. Thursday nights has always been for college football, I just feel as though they should get their night back.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:00 PM

20,900 posts, read 39,174,026 times
Hey folks, in years past I recall a few Saturday games near the end of the regular season after college football was largely over, i.e., late December before post-season play begins. This year I see there are no Saturday games during the regular NFL season. Did something change or is my memory going off the rails?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:40 PM

16,522 posts, read 20,969,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Hey folks, in years past I recall a few Saturday games near the end of the regular season after college football was largely over, i.e., late December before post-season play begins. This year I see there are no Saturday games during the regular NFL season. Did something change or is my memory going off the rails?
No, you're right Mike. Around early August I usually talk myself into getting purchasing either Street and Smith or Athlon's Pro football yearly forecast magazine and see how far off they are on forecasting. And I noticed on the NFL schedule toward the end of the season that there are no Saturday games this year. And yes, Saturday games towards the end of the regular season go back a few decades! Looks like now it's changed!

Old 12-13-2013, 06:35 PM

20,900 posts, read 39,174,026 times
Thank you! +5 I rather miss not having those Saturday games at the end of the year. I guess their thinking is that people are out holiday shopping or otherwise busy on those couple of Saturdays.

At least tomorrow there is the Army-Navy game. I worked for both services during my 30.5 years as a Fed. Back in the day, my father's railroad used to run 7 trains of Middies from Annapolis to Philadelphia, another railroad would bring trainloads of Cadets from West Point to Philadelphia. Those were the days!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:10 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,489,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'm having a hard time understanding this,
finally I start watching NFL football and I find out that NFL games are on Sunday, Monday and Thursday

why can't there be games on Friday and Saturday?

No football Saturday because of College football. I know there used to be a 1 or 2 Saturday games in week 15 & 16 when the college regular season ended, but those seemed to have died. High school football is Friday which is why you only see a couple college games on Friday. They all have a general understanding (college, pro & high school) of when the major game days are, so high school & college don't schedule on Pro days (Sunday), Pro doesn't schedule on College or high school days (Friday & Saturday) and High school doesn't schedule on College/pro days (Saturday/Sunday).

Old 12-13-2013, 08:57 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,670,466 times
If you think its because of college football, you have no idea what your talking about. They make more money having thursday night games...

All these thursday NFL games suck. They should go back to Saturday NFL games in december...but, its a multi-billion dollar corporation and just like gouging fans for PSL money, they will do the same thing having thursday night games...Roger Godell puts fans at the bottom of his importance list....just look at the playoffs when they schedule the Patriots for an OUTDOOR game on a saturday night (because of ratings plain and simple..)

The NFL Is Still Holding Back Saturday Football Because The NFL Hates You

Football fans openly mock Thursday games or just ignore them, the games are forgotten as soon as they happen, and the whole thing only exists because it's leverage to help the NFL gouge cable providers into carrying the NFL Network at a premium, a cost that's instantly passed on to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or