Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 09:06 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,044,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
If you think its because of college football, you have no idea what your talking about. They make more money having thursday night games...

All these thursday NFL games suck. They should go back to Saturday NFL games in december...but, its a multi-billion dollar corporation and just like gouging fans for PSL money, they will do the same thing having thursday night games...Roger Godell puts fans at the bottom of his importance list....just look at the playoffs when they schedule the Patriots for an OUTDOOR game on a saturday night (because of ratings plain and simple..)

The NFL Is Still Holding Back Saturday Football Because The NFL Hates You

Football fans openly mock Thursday games or just ignore them, the games are forgotten as soon as they happen, and the whole thing only exists because it's leverage to help the NFL gouge cable providers into carrying the NFL Network at a premium, a cost that's instantly passed on to you.
I love Thursday games.

As far as your comment about having nothing to do with HS or college games you are incorrect. They are not allowed to have games at those times. They have no choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 05:25 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,673,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I love Thursday games.

As far as your comment about having nothing to do with HS or college games you are incorrect. They are not allowed to have games at those times. They have no choice.
Thursday is way worse than Saturday for football players in many ways (specifically routine and recovery)...

I thought the NFL was all about safe....oh yeah, forget I said that...

My point about having nothing to do w college is that the NFL can go back to Saturday games late in the season if they wanted to. It has to do with money FIRST and FOREMOST why they don't do it...they could care less about college. Sad but true! Love the NFL and it's product, but it's business first, fans 6th or 7th on the list..

Old 12-14-2013, 06:05 AM

17,574 posts, read 46,044,734 times
Of course the NFL isn't about safety. Anyone can see that. I still love Thursday games. I couldn't care less how it is for the players. They can manage.

I would be fine with Saturday and Thursday games.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:13 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,760,849 times
Aside from the aforementioned issue that Friday nights belong to high school football, there's also the fact that Friday night is a poor market. Simply put, key demographic groups don't stay home on Friday nights, and so they're not going to be watching television, meaning advertising blocks during that time are not as valuable as during other evenings, or as during Sunday afternoons.

There's a reason, after all, that it is known as the Friday Night Death Slot.
Main/Friday Night Death Slot - Television Tropes & Idioms

Old 12-14-2013, 04:31 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,730,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
No football Saturday because of College football. I know there used to be a 1 or 2 Saturday games in week 15 & 16 when the college regular season ended, but those seemed to have died. High school football is Friday which is why you only see a couple college games on Friday. They all have a general understanding (college, pro & high school) of when the major game days are, so high school & college don't schedule on Pro days (Sunday), Pro doesn't schedule on College or high school days (Friday & Saturday) and High school doesn't schedule on College/pro days (Saturday/Sunday).

Yup !

Great explanation

Old 12-14-2013, 06:12 PM

26,154 posts, read 48,849,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
No football Saturday because of College football. I know there used to be a 1 or 2 Saturday games in week 15 & 16 when the college regular season ended, but those seemed to have died. High school football is Friday which is why you only see a couple college games on Friday. They all have a general understanding (college, pro & high school) of when the major game days are, so high school & college don't schedule on Pro days (Sunday), Pro doesn't schedule on College or high school days (Friday & Saturday) and High school doesn't schedule on College/pro days (Saturday/Sunday).
I notice (now) there are a lot of college football games on the last weekends in December, so it's natural for the NFL to give them the airtime.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:02 PM

32 posts, read 45,278 times
If there were Saturday NFL games, there would still be Thursday night games. IMO, Thursday games are only unfair to the teams, not the fans. I enjoy watching the games and having another prime-time opportunity to do so is fine by me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football