U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 03:28 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,752,199 times

Advertisements

I'm having a hard time understanding this,
finally I start watching NFL football and I find out that NFL games are on Sunday, Monday and Thursday

why can't there be games on Friday and Saturday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 03:31 PM

26,346 posts, read 83,138,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'm having a hard time understanding this,
finally I start watching NFL football and I find out that NFL games are on Sunday, Monday and Thursday

why can't there be games on Friday and Saturday?
Invalid question. There are some games on Saturday towards the end of the year.

However, one reason may be because colleges play on Saturday and their games have probably been more popular earlier (before TV).

Also, High School games are mostly on Friday Nights.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:39 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,752,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Invalid question. There are some games on Saturday towards the end of the year.

However, one reason may be because colleges play on Saturday and their games have probably been more popular earlier (before TV).

Also, High School games are mostly on Friday Nights.
That's what I thought
but to me it sounds absolutely ridicolous to say that professional games are shown on Thursday but not on Friday because High Schools play on Friday.

Why does the NFL care about HS football that much?
I guarantee NBA and MLB don't care about HS basketball or baseball

Old 10-07-2012, 02:34 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,135,229 times
Other than the two Thanksgiving games, I do not care for Thursday Night Football. Most of the time, I forget that they are on and the match-ups are not that intriguing.

The NBA and MLB have more games in a season than the NFL so they are going to play more games in a week.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:27 AM

20,419 posts, read 37,767,515 times
Quote:
That's what I thought
but to me it sounds absolutely ridicolous to say that professional games are shown on Thursday but not on Friday because High Schools play on Friday.
Whether you think it's ridiculous or not, it's true.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:12 AM

33,971 posts, read 42,293,666 times
Quote:
That's what I thought

They may not "care" but it's a factor in their marketing. Monday Night Football hasn't always been around and it was a major effort to have it implemented, there was a lot of pushback from the owners. Same with Thursday night, the question of adequate rest and recuperation from the previous Sunday's game was an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Whether you think it's ridiculous or not, it's true.
Some people don't realize that in some states, PA and TX for example, high school football is THE game.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:52 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,863,602 times
By 1961 the NFL had overcome its resistance to television, in part responding to the rival American Football League’s decision to televise all of its games under a contract with NBC. The NFL signed its own single-network contract with CBS. Unfortunately, Judge Grim, who retained jurisdiction over the earlier Justice Department case, said this also violated his previous decision. As Grim saw things, individual NFL clubs could not transfer their broadcasting rights to the league as an entity. The fact that the AFL, which was not subject to his order, had entered into the exact same sort of contract was irrelevant.

The NFL petitioned Congress to overturn Grim’s decision by carving out a special antitrust exemption for single-network television contracts. Congress obliged and enacted the Sports Broadcasting Act (SBA) in 1961, which protected not just the NFL and AFL, but also Major League Baseball, the National Basketball Association, and the National Hockey League. Under the SBA, teams could “pool” their broadcast rights under their respective leagues and negotiate television deals as a single entity, without fear of violating the antitrust laws. (Note the SBA did not apply to the NCAA, which is why Georgia and Oklahoma were able to pursue their antitrust lawsuit nearly 20 years later.)

But the story didn’t end there. Congress did impose one condition on the professional football leagues. The SBA would not apply if any television contract allowed the NFL (or at the time, the AFL) to broadcast games “on any Friday after [6 p.m.] or on any Saturday during the period beginning on the second Friday in September and ending on the second Saturday in December.” In other words, the NFL could not televise games if they competed directly against college football. The NFL and AFL readily agreed to this restriction, as they already restricted their schedules to Sunday afternoons.

The Friday-Saturday restriction was the direct result of lobbying from the NCAA. A House committee noted in its report on the SBA, “[NCAA representatives] are convinced that uncontrolled televising of professional football games could be ruinous to what is known as in-person attendance at college games. It is their position that professional football should not be granted exemption from the antitrust laws for package television contracts at the expense of intercollegiate football.”

Ever Wonder Why College Games Are On Saturday & NFL Games Are On Sunday? | Saturday Down South

Old 10-07-2012, 08:43 AM

9,349 posts, read 5,588,612 times
Fridays belong to high schools, Saturday belongs to college.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:51 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,419,384 times
Quote:
One of the differences of football and other professional sports is they have a built in non-compete protocol for the days the sport is played at every level. This helps keep the fan base in tact. Because of this process... The players at every level are fans as well. And by fans Im meaning they watch the sport on TV and attend games. The different levels do not step on each other which directly reduces the amount of fans you can have watching a sport. When an NBA basketball game is on... There may be high school and college games as well. That automatically takes away from the fan participation and popularity. That may not seem not a lot when you isolate it but when you count all 50 states... That's a lot of people to lose.

When NFL games are played... There aren't many if any high school or college games being played. So there is no loss of fans. In addition it's true for vice versa so high school and colleges can be confident they will not lose fans either. it's a win win for everyone. And it works at all 3 levels.

High School - Friday
College - Saturday
Pro - Sunday

No other sport has that time of organization and coordination. It's basically a free for all. That's why you will find that a lot of people who Participate in other sports are not fans of the professional league or players in that sport.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:32 PM

3,965 posts, read 2,519,992 times
Besides, the way the NFL is going, they are going to find a way to work in Tuesday and Wednesday anyway...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or