U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 01:22 PM
YAZ

7,075 posts, read 11,852,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Super Bowl Shuffle still makes me smile! You had to like all the personalities on that team, so different and yet they blended together so well. They were great and punky Jim McMahon with the ongoing battle with Rozelle. It started with his eye issues him wearing sunglasses and went on from there.

A side note BJ Raji wanted to do something in 2010 and was quickly voted down! A good thing, no one will surpass the "shuffle"!

Shooda used the fridge more in the rushing game.

The '85 Bears were a hoot.

Butkus would've fit in nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 10:27 AM

7,529 posts, read 6,151,427 times
I'm 47

the star RB's when I started watching around 73

OJ (the Juice)
Larry Csonka
Franco Harris
Chuck Foreman
Lydell Mitchell

my favorites

Marcus Allen
Barry Sanders
Mark Van Egan
Earl Campbell
Ricky Williams

Old 10-13-2012, 07:46 PM

4,214 posts, read 2,836,706 times
I'm 23, began watching football at 10 in '99, and this list is for the decade encompassing the 2000-2009 era, which I consider as my initial era of football...

LaDainian Tomlinson was easily the best running back of the 00s. When he was in his prime, he was too good. To round out the top 5, there is no real order, but its gotta go something like this: Ricky Williams (shorter career, but absolute monster), Tiki Barber (the last four seasons of his career he was unstoppable), Curtis Martin (under the radar but definitely deserving of HOF), and you can toss it up for 5th between Portis, Faulk, George, and Fred Taylor. Faulk was great, but because his career overlapped decades, I dont know if I should say he was a top 5 back in the 00s...

Today.....

Arian Foster, Adrian Peterson, Maurice Jones-Drew, LeSean McCoy, Ray Rice...

Old 10-13-2012, 08:24 PM

3,675 posts, read 7,846,509 times
Emmitt Smith
Barry Sanders
Marshal Faulk
LaDainian Tomlinson
Jerome Bettis (I'm surprised "The Bus" is not getting more love on here)

Honorable Mentions:

Edgerin James
Mike Alstott
Ricky Williams
Clinton Portis
Eddie George
Stephen Davis
Warrick Dunn
Curtis Martin
Deuce McAllister
Fred Taylor
Tiki Barber

Last edited by X-Greensboro Resident; 10-13-2012 at 08:42 PM..

Old 10-13-2012, 08:31 PM

3,675 posts, read 7,846,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Not going by stats, but by guys that I liked:

Payton
Sanders
Brown (Larry)...cuz I don't remember Jim........born 1964
Csonka
Riggins

Current players:

Peterson
Foster
Gore
Charles
Green-Ellis
Little love to an all time great Redskin, Mr. John Riggins!! I love it!

Old 10-13-2012, 08:56 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,681,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post

I like your list but remember some a "little" further back. I had a friend from LA who absolutely did not like Dickerson for whatever reason something about his relationship with the owner.
He was embroiled in a long (2 or 3 years long) and messy contract dispute. He was traded to the Colts because of it. Dickerson had a love/hate relationship with the fans. He lived in Malibu and the team was playing in Anaheim. His Hollywood-ish image and the money fights didn't sit well with the Orange County fans. (This was a time when NFL players lived like the rest of us. Normal houses in normal neighborhoods. His teammates lived in Anaheim, Fullerton, Irvine. Dickerson lived in the Malibu Colony.)

Heck of a player, though. I saw him break Simpson's record in 1984.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-13-2012 at 09:06 PM..

Old 10-13-2012, 09:44 PM

26,346 posts, read 83,036,714 times
Roger Craig SF49ers had a couple of very impressive years with those churning, high stepping legs.

49ers, Roger Craig - YouTube

Also, the human bowling ball Robert Newhouse was interesting.

Terry Metcalf was outstanding. Just didn't play on a great team the 1970s St. Louis Cardinals.

Terry Metcalf Highlights - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football