U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 09:18 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,881,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Seriously? You're complaining about the league showing support for cancer? What the hell is wrong with you guys? October is breast cancer awareness month, not prostate cancer awareness month.

People have worked hard to build it to what it is. If you are so concerned about other types of cancer then take the time to start something to bring awareness to it. That is why breast cancer gets the attention it does, people have worked hard and built a solid marketing plan that has worked tremendously.
pink not manly! .... <grunts>

Old 10-22-2012, 10:13 AM

20,357 posts, read 13,876,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I thought it used to be one game during the month. Now it's every game. They are taking it too far. One game and it means something. Multiple games and it becomes annoying.
Even the umps are wearing pink hats.

If the players and umps want to support breast cancer fine, then they could do a PSA on breast cancer for free, and run that ad before or during the games.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:50 AM
sun

683 posts, read 1,964,685 times
I say to get with the program and go with the flow.
It's a good cause.
It's about awareness and early detection.
Breast cancer can spread like wildfire.
Why knock it?
The NFL is trying to do some good.
This is how private enterprise works with charities and public causes in America.
The NFL makes billions of Dollars.
Let them do something for the public good besides making profits for themselves.
And I think that the players look good wearing some bright pink too.

Here's a nice pink NFL page that explains more about it:

NFL Pink - A Crucial Catch - NFL.com

Old 10-22-2012, 10:55 AM

2,141 posts, read 2,568,193 times
No one's stopping you guys from creating something for prostate ca. So go ahead...make a ribbon or do something instead of sitting on your butt and complaining. Men also get breast ca, at much lower rates but it does happen.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:17 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,413,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Curing breast cancer, or any cancer is a good cause.

Give money and time - great. Financing Nike's pocket by using pink equipment for a month - ???

Hopefully the apparel companies are sending all pink proceeds to the cancer support as well.

But I am weary of the pink...

Under Armour says they give 10% of the proceeds with a minimum of $500K...

You can't find anything official on how much Nike gives...

Old 10-22-2012, 11:30 AM

21,510 posts, read 11,599,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Seriously? You're complaining about the league showing support for cancer? What the hell is wrong with you guys? October is breast cancer awareness month, not prostate cancer awareness month.

People have worked hard to build it to what it is. If you are so concerned about other types of cancer then take the time to start something to bring awareness to it. That is why breast cancer gets the attention it does, people have worked hard and built a solid marketing plan that has worked tremendously.
But wouldn't you agree that one game is enough and actually more sincere than 1/4 of the season?

Old 10-22-2012, 11:33 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,745,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
But wouldn't you agree that one game is enough and actually more sincere than 1/4 of the season?

Who the hell cares? Dont you have something better to do than worry about the NFL supporting a charitable cause? Seriously, you are complaining that a billion dollar business is supporting cancer awareness. Mod edit-one sentence deleted.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-23-2012 at 03:12 PM..

Old 10-22-2012, 12:23 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,870,341 times
Agree that its a little too much overkill.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:30 PM

6,777 posts, read 10,174,755 times
I agree with both sides here. I think four games is a lot. It kind of loses its luster so to speak. MLB as far as I know only does pink bats, wristbands etc. for breast cancer on Mother's Day and does the same with blue for prostate cancer on Father's Day.

That said, I couldn't care less what color the players are wearing. I care about the game. If it earns money for a good cause, so what.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:39 PM

2,370 posts, read 3,058,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
It's about awareness and early detection.

no, it's about the NFL increasing woman viewership so they can get a bigger swath of advertisers and more ad revenue and sell more clothes. Period.

Don't you find is so strange that a game played by men, coached by men, scouted by men, and largely owned by men can't do anything for prostrate cancer. Sad really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football