U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 08:04 PM

21,485 posts, read 11,591,826 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure if I should post this in the Seattle thread, some may take it the wrong way and think I'm trolling.

Will the 26 million dollar man in Seattle ever get a chance? I think Seattle has a solid team and with an upgrade at QB they could do some damage in the NFC. I'm not knocking Wilson, but I've seen Flynn play and I cannot believe they don't even give him a shot in a real game situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 10:08 PM

4,847 posts, read 6,356,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I wasn't sure if I should post this in the Seattle thread, some may take it the wrong way and think I'm trolling.

Will the 26 million dollar man in Seattle ever get a chance? I think Seattle has a solid team and with an upgrade at QB they could do some damage in the NFC. I'm not knocking Wilson, but I've seen Flynn play and I cannot believe they don't even give him a shot in a real game situation.
A $26 million backup is a waste of cash. Blunder move by Seattle.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:38 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,744,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
A $26 million backup is a waste of cash. Blunder move by Seattle.
I am not sure you can call it a blunder because no one in the world could have predicted that Russell Wilson would perform the way he has right off the bat.

I think Flynn will get a chance at some point and if not, he will be traded.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:08 PM

11,722 posts, read 11,543,470 times
I agree, I think he'll still get to play. Couldn't believe he had an injury problem though, that was kind of surprising.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,762 posts, read 54,390,602 times
I wouldn't expect to see him this season unless Wilson gets injured. Wilson's performance would be a lot better if we had receivers that could make a catch. Even if they remain at this level it's better to develop Wilson for the future than to change horses mid stream for an unproven Flynn, regardless of what they paid for him.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:37 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,424,156 times
Far from a blunder

They had Tarvaris Jackson as the only QB under contract - they instantly upgraded over him by signing Flynn and did it again by grabbing Wilson ..... the QB position was a lot better than it was last year (when they had $8M committed between Jackson & Whitehurst) with no growth potential in either

This year they have two guys who are better than last years starter, both have room to grow and have at least the potential to be good starters and it's not costing them all that much more (and they aren't even close to flirting with the cap)

I don't think it was expected Wilson would win the job - but he did and the coaches will stick by that unless there is an injury or an extreme regression

Both QBs did very well in the offseason - the problem for Matt Flynn is that Russell Wilson oozes "it" and will have to show he can't do the job to lose the job

If Wilson fails or gets hurt then it's nice to have a guy like Flynn to fall back on .... if Wilson secures the post then it's nice to have a guy like Flynn as a backup and if after next season Wilson is secure in the starter post then Seattle can move Flynn and get a cheaper backup for Wilson

Not a horrible position to be in

Old 10-25-2012, 04:12 PM

9,349 posts, read 5,562,093 times
Seattle is good this year because of their defense and Marshawn Lynch. While Russell had a good game against the Patriots, he's looked HORRIBLE several times this season. And we all know that he threw a game ending interception against the Packers, not a TD LOL. Him only being 5'11, he gets a lot of tipped balls, and the angles he has to throw the ball to get it over defensive lineman means the ball is in the air longer, giving DB's more time to react.

He's done okay so far, but I wonder how good they'd be with Flynn in there. While it may sound like I'm hating on the guy, Wilson is not the reason the Seahawks are off to a good start this season.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:33 PM

11,722 posts, read 11,543,470 times
Interesting comments and we still may see Matt Flynn in at QB.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:35 PM

4,209 posts, read 2,823,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Seattle is good this year because of their defense and Marshawn Lynch. While Russell had a good game against the Patriots, he's looked HORRIBLE several times this season. And we all know that he threw a game ending interception against the Packers, not a TD LOL. Him only being 5'11, he gets a lot of tipped balls, and the angles he has to throw the ball to get it over defensive lineman means the ball is in the air longer, giving DB's more time to react.

He's done okay so far, but I wonder how good they'd be with Flynn in there. While it may sound like I'm hating on the guy, Wilson is not the reason the Seahawks are off to a good start this season.
What have you been watching? Russell Wilson is a good quarterback, and the fact that he's so poised so soon is uncharacteristic of a guy with his youth and stature. If we are to place blame with Seattle's offense, it lies in having a mediocre receiving corp....

This is not to suggest that he hasnt sailed some balls; his accuracy isnt acute yet, but therein lies the gift of Russell Wilson: Of all the bad things you can say about him, thats as worse as it can get. He isn't turnover prone, he has pocket presence, he has a strong arm and very good vision--he's put some passes on the numbers that were dropped. And the thing is, his ceiling is waaaaay up, because he's showing the maturity and will to fight and learn it takes to become a great QB....

Matt Flynn isn't going anywhere, and the 'Hawks would be stupid to allow him to. He was rather overpaid for such a short resume, but to have a backup with the potential to be a gamebreaker isnt anything to be ashamed of. Like an earlier post said, unless Wilson just starts tanking, Flynn's going to ride that bench. Seattle's got a good enough team to make the playoffs right now, if Wilson's clumsy receivers start providing a little more help this can become a team that can shoot for the big game. They're loaded everywhere else. So you dont disrupt what you have because you lose a few games, especially when the games you're losing aren't directly attributable to your quarterback play...

Old 10-25-2012, 05:42 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,424,156 times
heh .... someone said he's had a lot of tipped balls ...... you can discount anything from that point forward

there are many problems with the seattle offense - but Wilson has done well enough for a rookie 7 games into his career - he's making progress and learning to adjust to the defenses adjustments

I personally think he needs to get a little more freedom in the offense and not be put in impossible situations ... for example, seattle is a runnin team - wilson does excellent at play action ... the team has success doing this

however, in almost every 3rd & 3 situation they put him in a shotgun empty set and almost every time it fails - this happens a bit on 3rd & 2 as well

the do dumb things like run a pitch play wide or an option play on 3rd & 1 on a drive where they've been getting 4-6 ypc

none of that is on wilson

there are definitely things he needs to improve on - but he's been far from terrible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or