Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 08:43 AM

3,867 posts, read 4,077,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
I think Belicheat and Brady are scheduled to fly down to NJ and shine Eli and TC's shoes!!
NOW GO GET YOUR SHINEBOX!!
Remember what happened to Billy Batts......wasn't too good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 10:29 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Remember that time Philadelphia lost 3 straight NFC title games? And then on the 4th try they finally made it to the Super Bowl only to lose to New England. Sounds like someone has sour grapes over Philadelphia's inability to win big games in the playoffs.
The Eagles losing 3 NFC Tiles games doesn't changed the fact the Belichick still cheated.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:00 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,774,863 times
Belichick has definitely found a recipe for success, whether or not I'd call him a genius is something else. He has a knack for spotting talent and knowing where and when to play them. He knows football, and he's worked under and with some of the best coaches in the game. He's obviously doing something right.

I'm not sure how much the cheating impacted the Pats success. I'm of the mind that a lot of coaches if not all teams are involved in some level of espionage and "cheating", the Pats got caught and because of their success they were singled out. As much as I hate the Pats I can't say that they were the only team using questionable methods to gain the upper hand. Same way Lance Armstrong wasn't the only cyclist juicing, but he wins multiple titles so there's a target on his back.

Whether or not he'd be as successful without Brady is a question that can be asked of any winning coach. How many winning coaches have their been in the history of the league who only had average quarterbacks? You'd be hard pressed to find any coach who had consistent post season appearances with a mediocre QB.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:09 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,654,628 times
Yeah, coach and QB are always linked. I think Belichick is a brilliant defensive mind, but lately, even that hasnt been that good for the Pats. I do think that sometimes he coaches like he is the only one in the world with brains, and that gets him in trouble. Heck, for the past few years, the Pats have been stockpiling draft picks...who cares if you stockpile them if you dont use them? His defense was getting destroyed the past couple of seasons and he still had picks in hand--that doesnt make you a genius.

However, in this era of salary cap, he still has 3 rings and 5 appearances. That counts for a lot. I do think he is a pretty darn good coach--and this is coming from a Giants fan who really doesnt like the Pats and really thinks Brady got too much credit too early...

Old 11-02-2012, 05:24 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
We all know the 'genius' tag that has been labeled on Bill Belichick, many think he's the best coach in history and you can certainly make the case that he is one of them. But, when i see some of these bumbling idiots out there as head coaches, i wonder how good Belichick really has to be to 'outcoach' some of them. Do you really have to be an epic genius to outcoach Norv Turner (for example) or some other clown out there?

They say that Belichick's big advantage is his ability to break down videotape and find little nuances in the tape and exploit that and this is his biggest advantage. One of my theories on why Belichick is so good isnt necessarily his tape break down, its something else that makes him incredibly brilliant and that is the idea that you give up size for intelligence. There arent too many small players in the NFL yet, it seems like Belichick's entire premise is to get a small intelligent guy like Wes Welker and turn that into the cornerstone of their offense.

Also, look at their teams a bunch of years ago, they were anchored by Tedy Bruschi on defense, he was the 'signal caller' for the most part out there....and Bruschi is SMALL for NFL standards. You wont find too many linebackers smaller than Bruschi who play at such a high level....but it comes down to intelligence and Belichick needs players who are incredibly 'football smart' like Brady, Bruschi and Welker types.

its brilliant strategy because most players in the NFL are HUGE so you might think that the biggest and strongest team has an edge, but in the world according to Belichick, small intelligent players are as valuable as bigger and less intelligent players and Belichick seems to really gravitate to the player with the very high football IQ...that way, he can instill his ideas into these players. Its like New England, at almost all times, has multiple 'coaches' on the field and it starts with Tom Brady who has a football IQ that's as high as you can get.

I stopped thinking he was a Genius in 2007 for two reasons.

1. When they were 11-0 and let a 6-5 Eagles team led by QB A.J. Feeley almost beat them at Foxboro on Sunday Night

2. Allowed Goofy Eli Manning drive the ball down the field in the SB later that season.

So he is not the Genius that everyone made him out to be.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
When Horton hears a Hoot wins a Super Bowl, I listen to yah.
Fair enough.

Until then: Cardinals 20, Patriots, 18.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:00 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,705,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Fair enough.

Until then: Cardinals 20, Patriots, 18.
Woooooooow lol!

Old 11-15-2012, 03:21 PM

3,867 posts, read 4,077,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Woooooooow lol!
Cardinals 4-5

Pats 6-3

Old 11-15-2012, 03:29 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
After 2007, Belechick is no longer considered a genius

Old 11-16-2012, 08:27 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,659,752 times
I reserve the genius label for folks doing stuff other than designing FOOTBALL plays... Football Genius seems like an oxymoron to me. That being said, Belichick is the best coach in the NFL today. Caughlin has obviously gotten his number in the past but that alone should NOT diminish Belichick's accomplishments. If you want to argue Caughlin is better than Belichick, have at it and I wont disagree... I would take either and that to me is the clear answer... would you want Belichick to coach your fav team.. I know I would in a second..

I too am curious to see how effective Belichick is post Brady. Someone mentioned that there are not a lot of coaches that have had Championship success with multiple QBs and the only coach I can think of right now it Joe Gibbs. Gibbs won 3 Super Bowls with 3 different QBs, neither of which will ever get into the Pro Football HOF.. Gibbs was good, perhaps he should be labeled football genius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football