U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 09:22 PM

6,847 posts, read 7,909,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Probably because it doesn't happen that often. Before Sunday the last tie was in 2008.
I agree. It happens so infrequently. And the rules are different than college.

Their brains are stuffed with so much information at the pro level that there is little room left for how to handle ultra rare occasions like a tie game. Some of these players were freshmen in college the last time this occurred.

In the end, though, it's still funny, "because sometimes pro players say the darndest things!"

Remember, all the money in the world can't buy a brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 09:34 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,394,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I agree. It happens so infrequently. And the rules are different than college.

Their brains are stuffed with so much information at the pro level that there is little room left for how to handle ultra rare occasions like a tie game. Some of these players were freshmen in college the last time this occurred.

In the end, though, it's still funny, "because sometimes pro players say the darndest things!"

Remember, all the money in the world can't buy a brain.

Mcnabb took it a step further though, He said...."I would hate to see the Superbowl end in a tie"

LOL

Old 11-13-2012, 09:44 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,127,124 times
To be fair, most football players are dumb as fenceposts and a lot of them would be in jail if it weren't for football. So, yeah, this doesn't surprise me.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:06 PM

6,847 posts, read 7,909,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
To be fair, most football players are dumb as fenceposts and a lot of them would be in jail if it weren't for football. So, yeah, this doesn't surprise me.
I don't know if I'd go as far as to say "most", some of the schemes they run at the pro level are pretty complex, but I would definitely say that the average IQ at the pro level is much higher in sports like golf and ice hockey.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:25 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,417,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
Based on the overall NFL average of the wonderlic test this is not entirely true... They are on the low end of the totem poll, but not completely dumb. NFL players overall avg score is 20. But QBs which are we discussing average score is 24. So again they need to be held to a higher standard. Ironically the Offensive lineman-Tackles and Centers avg the most at 25 and 26.

Here are other professions avgs on the wonderlic test:
Systems Analyst – 32
Chemist – 31
Electrical Engineer – 30
Engineer – 29
Programmer – 29
Accountant – 28
Executive – 28
Reporter – 28
Teacher – 28
Copywriter – 27
Investment Analyst – 27
Librarian – 27
Electronics technician – 26
Salesperson – 25
Secretary – 24
Dispatcher – 23
Drafter – 23
Electrician – 23
Nurse – 23
Bank teller – 22
Cashier – 21
Firefighter – 21
General Clerical worker – 21
Machinist – 21
Receptionist – 21
Train Conductor – 21
NFL Players - 20
Skilled Craftsman – 18
Security guard – 17
Welder – 17
Warehouseman – 15

Wonderlic Test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-14-2012, 07:21 AM

4,177 posts, read 4,633,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Mcnabb took it a step further though, He said...."I would hate to see the Superbowl end in a tie"

LOL
Well, it would just confuse him even more if someone told him playoff games and the Super Bowl cannot end in a tie!

Old 11-14-2012, 07:35 AM

4,177 posts, read 4,633,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
My 9 year old son actually corrected me on this rule about 2 weeks ago when a game went into overtime. He told me that games that now end with a TD or a safety, but not a field goal. I was under the impression that if team A scored a TD in overtime, that team B would get a chance to respond.

By the way, the Rams really should have won that game. They outplayed the 49ers throughout. To not have 7 men lined up on the Amendola bomb play in OT is inconceivable.
The new overtime rules were implemented in the playoffs only in the 2010 season I think? It was in response to the NFC Championship game the year before between the Vikings and Saints that went into overtime and the Saints kicked a field goal to win, never giving the Vikings a chance with the ball. Those playoff overtime rules were just put into effect for all games this season.

Typical coin toss to see who gets the ball first. If Team A gets the ball first and scores a touchdown, the game is over and they win. If Team B's defense scores any points (a safety, pick-6, etc), the game is over and Team B wins. If Team A gets a field goal, they kickoff like normal and Team B must score at least a field goal. If they fail to score (loss of downs, turnover), Team A wins. If they get a matching field goal, then the first time to score next wins. If Team B gets a touchdown, the game is over and they win. If on the first position Team A fails to score and must punt, then whoever scores first wins. After a 15 minute period, if it is still tied, the game ends in a tie, except in the playoffs and Super Bowl, when they would go to another 15 minute period. At that point, I believe it is still sudden death as it would be like the change from the 1st to 2nd quarter. No game in history has ever gone beyond a second overtime period.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:57 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Well, it would just confuse him even more if someone told him playoff games and the Super Bowl cannot end in a tie!

That's why the statement was so bizarre because the league would not give two teams a half of trophy since the game ended in a tie LOL

Old 11-17-2012, 03:08 PM

2,716 posts, read 2,617,559 times
Baseball can't end in a tie but Football can.. seems kinda backwards.
Would like to see college OT rules used in the NFL.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:30 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Baseball can't end in a tie but Football can.. seems kinda backwards.
Would like to see college OT rules used in the NFL.

Well both times did have a entire qtr to score and couldn't get it done. Plus that flag on the Rams is what led to the Tie

You won't see ties in the NFL that often
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football