U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-26-2012, 10:22 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
4,874 posts, read 6,432,997 times
Reputation: 5869

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Not surprised, lots of knuckle dragger trash in Jets nation. Long Island and New Jersey's finest fer sure.

signed, A Giants fan
I'm sure the New Jersey Giants have support in Jersey as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-26-2012, 10:25 PM
 
2,880 posts, read 3,806,929 times
Reputation: 3434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I'm sure the New Jersey Giants have support in Jersey as well.
'Course. Everyone loves a winner.

Pisssssst....The Jets play in Jersey as well...pass it on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2012, 10:58 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 10,165,918 times
Reputation: 7456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
'Course. Everyone loves a winner.

Pisssssst....The Jets play in Jersey as well...pass it on.

So... TECHNICALLY the Buffalo Bills are New York State's ONLY football team.... J/K... But I've heard that comment will tend to p*** off BOTH Giants and Jets fans.


Seriously though, I was always curious how that works with 2 NFL teams in one city. We have friends in the NYC area that are Giants and Mets fans, and hate the Jets and Yankees. I mean, my thought is that you'd have a favorite, but would support the other hometeam as well... no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 07:47 AM
 
Location: NJ
804 posts, read 1,392,676 times
Reputation: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
So... TECHNICALLY the Buffalo Bills are New York State's ONLY football team.... J/K... But I've heard that comment will tend to p*** off BOTH Giants and Jets fans.


Seriously though, I was always curious how that works with 2 NFL teams in one city. We have friends in the NYC area that are Giants and Mets fans, and hate the Jets and Yankees. I mean, my thought is that you'd have a favorite, but would support the other hometeam as well... no?
It's a rivalry and from general observations, I always thought that most Giants fans are Yankees fans, not the other way around (personally, I'm a huge Yankees and Giants fan)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 08:17 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 10,165,918 times
Reputation: 7456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
It's a rivalry and from general observations, I always thought that most Giants fans are Yankees fans, not the other way around (personally, I'm a huge Yankees and Giants fan)

That is kind of what I thought. Like I said though, having 2 MLB and 2 NFL franchises while I figured that you'd have a preference, you would also support the other team as well. I mean, were the New York Jets to make the Super Bowl, or the Mets make the World Series would you support them considering they're representing NYC?

On a side note when the Jets played the Browns a few years ago here in Cleveland our New York friends who are Giants fans were rooting for the Browns. I guess it just depends who you ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 10:51 AM
 
9,035 posts, read 16,543,939 times
Reputation: 6832
yeah - it's typically mets/jets and yankees/giants ..... obviously not in stone though

also, never underestimate regional bragging rights - if your team has a bad year the last thing you want to hear all year is your rival crowing about their championship and it's difficult to avoid when they live next door ....... plus you want "your" team to be the "real and important" team in the metro and the other team to be more of the step child that you keep around
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 11:34 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 10,165,918 times
Reputation: 7456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
yeah - it's typically mets/jets and yankees/giants ..... obviously not in stone though

also, never underestimate regional bragging rights - if your team has a bad year the last thing you want to hear all year is your rival crowing about their championship and it's difficult to avoid when they live next door ....... plus you want "your" team to be the "real and important" team in the metro and the other team to be more of the step child that you keep around

I guess I sort of understand. Us Browns fans somewhat feel that way about the Cincinnati Bengals, LOL! The only difference being of course is the same state, but different cities. Then again we have a much greater presence of Pittsburgh Steelers fans in NE Ohio, than Bengals fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,755 posts, read 4,294,610 times
Reputation: 4744
I was always told it was Giants/Yankees fan or Jets/Mets fan. The Giants and Yankees have tenure and typically a larger fan base.. the Mets and Jets are the step kids, only been around a few decades...

It sure would be nice to have those types of options for fans.. lots to teams to root for or against...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2012, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,613 posts, read 4,573,993 times
Reputation: 2510
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
That is kind of what I thought. Like I said though, having 2 MLB and 2 NFL franchises while I figured that you'd have a preference, you would also support the other team as well. I mean, were the New York Jets to make the Super Bowl, or the Mets make the World Series would you support them considering they're representing NYC?

On a side note when the Jets played the Browns a few years ago here in Cleveland our New York friends who are Giants fans were rooting for the Browns. I guess it just depends who you ask.

I live in the NY Metro area and using the football team is a bad example because I hate them both (Jets a lot more though) but I'm a Yankees fan and would NEVER root for the Mets (the other NY team). The only time I'd even think about it is if they were playing the Red Sox, in which case I'd pretend the series doesn't exist and pay no attention
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2012, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
139 posts, read 115,796 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookieboy View Post
You guys are SO missing the point...
I think they are missing the point too.
And I think its extremely sad that someone like Fireman Ed leaves for these reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top