U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 06:22 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,665,435 times

Advertisements

Firing Whiz wouldn't fix the basic problems. There is no QB and the OL couldn't protect him when there was one.

Kurt Warner was on local Phoenix radio yesterday and he said he didn't think the problem was Whiz. He said the problem was he wasn't QB anymore. (We know Kurt. We know.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 12:49 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Firing Whiz wouldn't fix the basic problems. There is no QB and the OL couldn't protect him when there was one.

Kurt Warner was on local Phoenix radio yesterday and he said he didn't think the problem was Whiz. He said the problem was he wasn't QB anymore. (We know Kurt. We know.)

In all honesty, if this team finishes the season 4-12 after a 4-0 start it's no way Whiz will keep his job.

That's how things are in the NFL, it's a business.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:03 AM

16,527 posts, read 20,977,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
He had an old but effective Kurt Warner at QB during their Super Bowl year. When Kurt retired, that is when the problems started. I would put the QB problems on the GM.
I'm with Dissenter on this. While coach Whisenhunt might get the axe at the end of the season, g.m. Rod Graves needs to be put on the spot as well. Kolb clearly isn't the answer and I thought Skelton would be. I was at the 2010 game where I saw Arizona totally dismantle Denver 43-13. While Skelton didn't complete half his passes in the game, the big plays he made in that game-whew! Last season Skelton went 5-2 when Kolb went out in week 10. And the Cardinals offensive line? Well....

Skelton was just a 5th round pick out of Fordham. I'd have to look it up but I don't believe the Cardinals drafted any quarterbacks from last season, and I know it wasn't addressed in last April's draft. It's a pretty safe bet that it will be addressed next year.

Whisenhunt is very popular with his players. Will he get the boot? He might. I remember back to the 1989 season where another coach who was popular with his players and the fan base got the boot where it shouldn't have happened-Gene Stallings. For the next two decades the Cardinals reverted back to its role as the NFL doormat, going through several coaches (some with solid NFL backround to them), among them Joe Bugel, Vince Tobin, Buddy Ryan, Dennis Green, and Dave McGuiness

I do understand, like TVSG said, that the NFL is a business. But Ken Whisenhunt is not the problem here IMO. We'll see what happens at seasons end.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-02-2012 at 08:22 AM..

Old 12-02-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
In all honesty, if this team finishes the season 4-12 after a 4-0 start it's no way Whiz will keep his job.

That's how things are in the NFL, it's a business.
How much do you know about the Cardinals? Sounds like not enough.

The Cardinals are owned by Bill Bidwill. Who is a very nice man who is known for his extreme penny pinching. He'd have to pay Whiz millions if he fired Whiz. Knowledgeable Cardinals fans (and the AZ press) aren't sure he'd do that. Right now it's a fairly good bet Whiz is secure and his job will depend on what happens next season. But we'll just have to wait and see since all of this is nothing but conjecture. Obviously a lot depends on what happens in the W/L column the rest of the season.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:18 AM

4,848 posts, read 6,364,158 times
Quote:
How much do you know about the Cardinals? Sounds like not enough.

The Cardinals are owned by Bill Bidwill. Who is a very nice man who is known for his extreme penny pinching. He'd have to pay Whiz millions if he fired Whiz. Knowledgeable Cardinals fans (and the AZ press) aren't sure he'd do that. Right now it's a fairly good bet Whiz is secure and his job will depend on what happens next season. But we'll just have to wait and see since all of this is nothing but conjecture. Obviously a lot depends on what happens in the W/L column the rest of the season.
Ah, it is always crucial to pull out the Bidwill card when discussing the woes of the Cardinals. The Kurt Warner era (including a trip to the Super Bowl) probably saved Bidwill some face but his presence as owner should still be a point of focus. Cheap owner and a GM that thinks sending a good DB for an untested QB is a bad combo.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
g.m. Rod Graves needs to be put on the spot as well.
He's not popular among the fans. At all. And neither is Russ Grimm. (OL coach.) Fans have been calling for those two to get the boot for a couple of years now. Grimm incurred the wrath of fans for leaving the locker room during half time at the Super Bowl to go listen to Bruce Springsteen.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:03 AM

16,527 posts, read 20,977,867 times
Bondurant and DewDropInn are right. I went back two dozen years naming off former Cardinal coaches, let me go a little further.

The Cardinal franchise had been woeful for some time. All of a sudden here comes Don Coryell who coached at San Diego State. He put some order in the Cardinals house in his first season. In 1974 and 1975 he displaced Dallas as NFC division winners. No small feat as most NFL people viewed Dallas and Pittsburgh as the top teams in the NFL through the 1970's.

By 1977 the Cardinal administration's penny pinching reputation drove Coryell crazy and eventually drove Coryell out of town. The last straw was when they played hardball regarding contract negotiations with star running back Terry Metcalf, who eventually left and signed with the Toronto Argonauts in the Canadian Football League. Sad because the Cardinals were putting together an offensive line that IMO would stack up against any O-line in NFL history.

Coryell by that time had enough and after that incident he abruptly resigned. It didn't take long for him to resurface as one NFL owner had admired what Coryell had done at San Diego State. And saw those results from up close. The owner? San Diego Charger owner Gene Klein.

And I think most NFL football fans know what happened after that.

The Cardinals? The Bud Wilkinson experiment was a flop, and another solid NFL man who coached the Cardinals was shown the door-Jim Hanifan. And the door stayed open as St. Louis football fans walked out that door with Hanifan and by 1988 the Cardinal franchise relocated to the Valley of the Sun.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:18 AM

233 posts, read 209,397 times
As a Cardinals season ticket holder for eight years and a fan longer than that I've seen a lot of bad football. This offense has been pathetic for the last three seasons. When Whiz was given his contract extension, he was given control of the 53 man roster. Rod Graves has fallen into the background when it comes to roster decisions. He mainly handles contract decisions these days. Whiz can't groom or judge qb talent. Heck, he proclaimed Leinart the starter before the '08 season. Warner had to force his hand with a great preseason that year. He thought Kolb, who ran a west coast offense, could magically run his complicated offense. He started Derek Anderson and Max Hall...enough said. Once you get in his doghouse, it's over. How can you not put Skelton in the game against the Jets after what Lindley is doing? It's laughable how his ego gets in the way of clear decisions. I feel bad for the defense, because they are playoff-caliber. Whiz needs to go!

Regarding ownership: Bill owns the team, but his son, Michael, runs it these days. The penny-pinching days have pretty much been over since they moved in to the new stadium.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:44 PM

Whiz and Graves are both gone. Fired by Michael Bidwill this morning.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:22 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Quote:
Whiz and Graves are both gone. Fired by Michael Bidwill this morning.

Not a surprise at all after starting 4-0 and ending the season with 11 losses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football