Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 12:20 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Could someone explain the seeding to me?

I know the rules and everything, it just gets confusing to apply
I just want to know how the Pats currently win the 3way tie with the Ravens and Broncos for the 2nd seed in the AFC.

The Ravens and Broncos have not played each other, and the Pats lost to the Ravens but won over the Broncos.

Was thinking the Ravens would still hold the 2nd seed because they beat the Pats. shouldn't head to head games trump conference record?
No, in a 3 way tie breaker scenario for division winners, the scenario mirrors wild card determination, and the second tie-breaker is a head to head sweep, however, applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others. Since the Ravens and the Broncos have not played each other, we progress to the third tie-breaker, which reads "Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference". Patriots are 8-1 in the conference, the Ravens are 8-2, and the Broncos are 6-2. The Broncos have played all of their out of division opponents, so if they win out, they will be 10-2 in the division. The Ravens only have to get to 2 more wins in their division the rest of the year, so clearly, the Ravens have the edge over the Broncos. This becomes imperative for the Broncos. Why? I think the Broncos have never won in Baltimore. They simply do not play well in that city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 12:21 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The Pats are currently the second seed in the AFC because they have a better conference record than the Ravens. But I thought that since the Ravens already beat them that would have them as number 2 so I'm not sure why the Pats are number 2
yeah, that is what I am asking. I thought it was

1. head to head
2. conference games
3. common games
4. SOV
5. SOS

etc

Old 12-03-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
No, in a 3 way tie breaker scenario for division winners, the scenario mirrors wild card determination, and the second tie-breaker is a head to head sweep, however, applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others. Since the Ravens and the Broncos have not played each other, we progress to the third tie-breaker, which reads "Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference". Patriots are 8-1 in the conference, the Ravens are 8-2, and the Broncos are 6-2. The Broncos have played all of their out of division opponents, so if they win out, they will be 10-2 in the division. The Ravens only have to get to 2 more wins in their division the rest of the year, so clearly, the Ravens have the edge over the Broncos. This becomes imperative for the Broncos. Why? I think the Broncos have never won in Baltimore. They simply do not play well in that city.
thanks for the explanation.

after the steelers win, I think the Broncos are feeling better about playing in Baltimore.

The Texans will be sitting pretty in the AFC if they win against the Pats next week. They have already defeated the Broncos and Ravens and have won all (9) of their conference games so far. apart from the NE game their other two conference games are against the Colts. The Vikings games is important to the Texans on a bragging rights front. They have never defeated the Vikings, and now seems like a good time to change that

Old 12-03-2012, 12:28 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Because in a 3-way tie when not all three teams have played each other, you can't use head-to-head as a tiebreaker. It goes to conference record.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:39 PM

with the games that are left the Broncos look like they have a chance at pulling off 12 wins and winning the 2nd seed outright.

NE has Houston and SF left
Ravens have Denver, NYG and Cincinnati left
Denver has Oakland, KC and Cleveland left

Like ATL, Denver was blessed with a mild season

Old 12-03-2012, 12:48 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
with the games that are left the Broncos look like they have a chance at pulling off 12 wins and winning the 2nd seed outright.

NE has Houston and SF left
Ravens have Denver, NYG and Cincinnati left
Denver has Oakland, KC and Cleveland left

Like ATL, Denver was blessed with a mild season

Yes I agree the Broncos schedule has not been challenging at all

Old 12-03-2012, 02:40 PM

14,323 posts, read 14,620,586 times
They have never defeated the Vikings, and now seems like a good time to change that

Texans can defeat the Vikings, I think. Ponder makes mistakes and if they block AP better than the Packers did, should be no problem.

Read over at Packers.com Pack can get the 2nd seed, I don't see it but love all the optimism. Darndest team, more players injured, throwing close to the last guy available in on the Oline! RBs end up running fairly well, even a rushing TD, go figure. Ugly it was but they won and the team is upbeat, unbelievable. Maybe this is what it takes!

Old 12-03-2012, 02:47 PM
FBJ

Aside from the chiefs and browns and jags

All the playoff eliminations will be in effect by 12/16.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
They have never defeated the Vikings, and now seems like a good time to change that

Texans can defeat the Vikings, I think. Ponder makes mistakes and if they block AP better than the Packers did, should be no problem.

Read over at Packers.com Pack can get the 2nd seed, I don't see it but love all the optimism. Darndest team, more players injured, throwing close to the last guy available in on the Oline! RBs end up running fairly well, even a rushing TD, go figure. Ugly it was but they won and the team is upbeat, unbelievable. Maybe this is what it takes!
yeah, Starting the season the Texans had never won against the Jets, chargers, Ravens, Eagles, Vikings. We got the Ravens and Jets already. The Vikings we have a chance at. The Eagles and Chargers are horrible this year. Houston could have cleaned off their list this year.

On the flip side Chicago and Miami have never defeated the Texans. Chicago has only met the Texans 3 times, but Miami and Houston have played each other 7 times

Old 12-03-2012, 03:03 PM
FBJ

Quote:
yeah, Starting the season the Texans had never won against the Jets, chargers, Ravens, Eagles, Vikings. We got the Ravens and Jets already. The Vikings we have a chance at. The Eagles and Chargers are horrible this year. Houston could have cleaned off their list this year.

On the flip side Chicago and Miami have never defeated the Texans. Chicago has only met the Texans 3 times, but Miami and Houston have played each other 7 times

I believe the Texans lost to the Eagles on Thanksgiving back in 2010 but they were not that good that season
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football