U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 02:03 PM

21,568 posts, read 11,623,733 times

Advertisements

A rather interesting article from Fox Sports on NFL players and tattoo's.

I wonder if Kaepernick was not a 1st round pick just because of stereotypes against tattoo's?

49ers QB Colin Kaepernick painted as a bad guy over tattoos? - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

Old 12-01-2012, 02:45 PM

11,724 posts, read 11,556,423 times
This is a non-issue and no big deal, I totally agree with his mom, bravo for her speaking up. The media and sports writers are so over the top sometimes.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:59 PM

139 posts, read 115,108 times
The reference to convicts made me laugh except there is prejudice about tatooes I guess. Younger people looking for work with tatooes in evidence make employers hold back.
You would think though, the sports world would be past that by now. It could very well be the reason he didnt get picked earlier.
His mom also said the tats were religious based. Maybe he needs to pose more often with his shirt off so everyone can read them.
I am not a fan of body art. But it has nothing to do with how I value him as a football player.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:03 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,997,813 times
I think there might be something wrong with me; I don't really care if a guy on my favorite team has tattoos, braids, earrings, wears baggy pants to the game, or really any other aspect of his personal style. For some weird reason, I tend to rate them based on whether they show up and play well, or don't. Good thing I have all those "experts" in the sports media to tell me how I should feel about football players

Old 12-01-2012, 03:32 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,688,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
This is a non-issue and no big deal, I totally agree with his mom, bravo for her speaking up. The media and sports writers are so over the top sometimes.
Yeah... must have been a slow news day.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:04 PM

738 posts, read 969,135 times
Quarterbacks are different. Every decision they ever made is evaluated before the draft since the biggest part of their job is making decisions.

The fact that he has bible verses is a non issue. A tat is a tat is a tat. It doesn't matter if it is a picture of your dead child, a skull, or a heart that says mom. You made a decision with permanent results.

Old white men make these decisions. If you want big money from old white men do not do what old white men disagree with. That in itself is part of your decision making process and something that will be evaluated. You know that big time qb's don't have tats but you do it anyway? Bad decision. He must have been one of the few that did not get the memo.

I think it was commentary, not news.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:09 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,794,977 times
I would say there is zero chance his tattoos impacted his draft spot.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:21 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,752,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
A rather interesting article from Fox Sports on NFL players and tattoo's.

I wonder if Kaepernick was not a 1st round pick just because of stereotypes against tattoo's?

49ers QB Colin Kaepernick painted as a bad guy over tattoos? - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN
Stereotypes against tattoos are almost non-existent now. I have seen corporate executives have full sleeves down their arms. I have a friend who is a principal of a high school with a full sleeve on his left arm. His tattoos did not impact his draft spot. All kinds of athletes have tattoos, especially NBA players who show their whole arm. This was a journalist trying to create a story out of nothing.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:46 AM

14,095 posts, read 23,696,719 times
I have a problem with players having long hair hanging out the back of their helmet. Gives the opposing team something to grab onto to more easily pull them down. Can't do that with tattoos. Personally, I don't like tattoos. That's why I don't have any even after 8 years in the Navy. That's my choice. He chose to ink up his body. To me it's a waste of time and money but it's his time and money. Seems better than a certain college frat that requires their members to get branded like an animal or a slave.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:57 AM

2,478 posts, read 4,872,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I would say there is zero chance his tattoos impacted his draft spot.
^this guy is correct.

I'm a 9er fan. He wasn't a first round pick because he came from a gimmick offense which ran the Pistol. This made teams wary. Harbaugh still traded up in the 2nd round to get him with the mindset that they could develop him. So far so good, the guy is looking great.

Unfortunately there are still people that judge people with tattoos as "bad" people. Which of course is absurd, but people are going to find reasons to hate or dislike. It's human nature. These neanderthals will always exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football