U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 12:39 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,743,505 times

Advertisements

The amount of injuries in the game is hurting the sport more than the rule changes. It seems like injuries are occuring more frequently and we are seeing start and key players out more and longer because of more care for the players and letting them come back in. Just because they are making so much money doesnt mean they should be sacrificed to the point where their health is going to be poor for the rest of their lives. A lot of these guys and especially the special teams guys are players that are only going to be playing for 3 or 4 years at a minimum salary. They are going to have to get jobs after they retire and if they can no longer do even the most basic task, that's not fair. The league does not to protect their most valuable asset, the players themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 07:49 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,361,809 times
The 4th and 15 thing is actually pretty innovative. I wonder if they ran the numbers and the % of succussful 4th and 15s is = to the % of recovered onsides...

What does this do the roster sizes?

Old 12-08-2012, 08:46 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,126,765 times
This is a very shortsighted move. These players knew what they were getting themselves into when they get on the field. They are playing a contact sport. I don't feel bad for those who are suing. It is not the NFL fault that former players make bad investments and blow it all on some $4 billion mansion and 8 different cars and now they expected to be rewarded.

A few players who are nothing more than a returner are out of a job. Removing kickoffs destroy the aspect of the game. The NFL might as well put flags on the players. Forcing teams to play four days later on Thursday Night Football does not help the NFL goal in keeping the game safe.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:02 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,747,775 times
With the ridiculous amounts of pass interference calls, roughing the passer and other defensive penalties that result in automatic first downs my guess is that there is a far greater chance at the 4th and 15 than there is an onside kick.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:11 AM

2,369 posts, read 3,057,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
If highspeed collision is causing too much injuries, let's go back to wearing leather helmets. I bet noone will be spearing looking like this:

this would solve it entirely, but they won't ever do that, instead just making a bunch of complicated rules that work at the outside of the problem.

to those of you who disagree: how can rugby players, aussie rules players, etc. get by without all those pads and helmets. ???

and don't tell me the NFL is more violent or played by more tough guys b/c it isn't, you really need to watch some rugby if you really believe that.

youtube is your friend.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:16 AM

10,691 posts, read 11,690,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Chris Mortensen of ESPN says the possibility of removing kickoffs is 100%.

He (Goodell) says high speed collisions are the most dangerous aspect of football. Proposal from the Bucs coach is to take over at the 30 yd.line after a TD or FG.

What say you?

Another knee-jerk CYA move on the part of Goodell!! This is hypocritcal!!!

The new overtime rules keep players on the field longer now!! The longer they are on the field the more exhausted they are and more likely to get injured!!!!

And a lot of our great players found their spot on teams by doing kickoffs first!! Ray Lewis anyone!!???

Old 12-08-2012, 09:59 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,176,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
what the hell....what a moron

Can we please get rid of Goodell LOL
I've been saying this for several years. I can't stand the guy. I hope the owners shoot him down on this.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:52 PM

7,490 posts, read 4,244,033 times
As a Saints fan, I wish there were no kickoffs in today's game vs. the Giants.
Other than that, I think it's a really stupid idea.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:04 PM

4,847 posts, read 6,356,456 times
Within the past few years there was a report hypothesizing that helmets cause more injuries than they do offer protection. One of the theories was that the helmet gives players a sense of immortality and they think they'll be safe and are more likely to perform more vicious hits or use the helmet.

It works in rugby.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:36 PM

4,164 posts, read 4,613,797 times
I would think punt returns would be more dangerous. On punts you have 8 or 9 guys barreling down full speed on one man usually by himself who has to just stand there and wait for the football to come down. Granted, they can call for a fair catch, but still, if they do make a return, they usually don't have an army of blockers in front of them like on a kickoff return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football