U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-09-2012, 05:55 PM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,886,336 times
Reputation: 2782

Advertisements

Who's going to win the big ones? MVP, Comeback player of the year, coach of the year, etc.

I think AP should easily win the comeback player of the year award. To see what this guy has done coming off a major knee injury to be running wild and will probably lead the league in rushing is truly impressive. Watching the Thursday Night game, I had to laugh at the announcers who dismissed him as winning the award and were talking up Peyton. Not sayin Peyton should be in the discussion, just AP has had the more impressive year considering the injury he is coming off of.

MVP is up in the air right now. Several guys could claim the award.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2012, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
6,569 posts, read 10,299,032 times
Reputation: 9839
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Who's going to win the big ones? MVP, Comeback player of the year, coach of the year, etc.

I think AP should easily win the comeback player of the year award. To see what this guy has done coming off a major knee injury to be running wild and will probably lead the league in rushing is truly impressive. Watching the Thursday Night game, I had to laugh at the announcers who dismissed him as winning the award and were talking up Peyton. Not sayin Peyton should be in the discussion, just AP has had the more impressive year considering the injury he is coming off of.

MVP is up in the air right now. Several guys could claim the award.
Peterson is also younger and his career was never in doubt. Peyton's career was very much in doubt. He had lingering weakness in his throwing arm and his rehab was taking considerably longer than expected. When he came back people wondered if he'd ever be able to play at the same level again. Not only has he silenced the critics, but at 36 Manning is putting up some of the most impressive numbers of his career. I think right now he's got both the MVP and the Comeback Player of the Year award locked up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2012, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,198,187 times
Reputation: 7599
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Peterson is also younger and his career was never in doubt. Peyton's career was very much in doubt. He had lingering weakness in his throwing arm and his rehab was taking considerably longer than expected. When he came back people wondered if he'd ever be able to play at the same level again. Not only has he silenced the critics, but at 36 Manning is putting up some of the most impressive numbers of his career. I think right now he's got both the MVP and the Comeback Player of the Year award locked up.
don't think he has the MVP anywhere near locked up yet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2012, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Two Rivers, Wisconsin
11,724 posts, read 11,563,300 times
Reputation: 12484
I don't think anyone has anything locked up yet! Peyton should definitely get the comeback player as his situation was definitely more serious and what I would consider more of a comeback. Rookie of the year will get major conversation for sure. MVP, up for grabs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2012, 06:20 PM
 
Location: Born & Raised DC > Carolinas > Seattle > Denver
9,349 posts, read 5,577,302 times
Reputation: 9446
MVP: Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Arian Foster, Aaron Rodgers, J.J. Watt, Von Miller, Adrian Peterson. (Probably Foster or rodgers)

Comeback player: Peyton Manning, Adrian Peterson (Probably Peyton, though Adrian is BALLIN')

Coach of the Year: Mike Smith (ATL), Gary Kubiak (HOU), John Fox (DEN), Bill Belichk (NE) (probably Kubiak or Smith)

Rookie of the Year: Russell Wilson, Robert Griffin III, Andrew Luck (Probably RG3)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2012, 06:25 PM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,886,336 times
Reputation: 2782
Talk about a tough call on rookie of the year. Both RGIII and Luck have had great seasons and may lead their teams to the playoffs. Hopefully RGIII's injury is not a serious one.

This year's QB draft class could be one for the ages if these young guys keep it going for another few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2012, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,198,187 times
Reputation: 7599
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
MVP: Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Arian Foster, Aaron Rodgers, J.J. Watt, Von Miller, Adrian Peterson. (Probably Foster or rodgers)

Comeback player: Peyton Manning, Adrian Peterson (Probably Peyton, though Adrian is BALLIN')

Coach of the Year: Mike Smith (ATL), Gary Kubiak (HOU), John Fox (DEN), Bill Belichk (NE) (probably Kubiak or Smith)

Rookie of the Year: Russell Wilson, Robert Griffin III, Andrew Luck (Probably RG3)
nice choices. I don't think Foster is as impressive as he was earlier in the season though. He has cooled down some. Peterson and Watt keep doing it big.

From your list Manning, Brady, Watt and Peterson seems most likely for MVP.

For Rookie, RG3 would easily get my vote.

The Coaches are a hard one. Despite the Texans record, I would not rank Kubiak all the way up there. Same with Smith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2012, 03:34 AM
 
Location: Howard County, MD
2,223 posts, read 2,999,940 times
Reputation: 3365
Comeback Player: Peyton Manning will probably win, but I think Adrian Peterson deserves it. Running backs are always one big injury away from the waiver wire, no matter what they've accomplished in the past; for him to come back at this age and be potentially approaching the elite 2,000 yard mark is remarkably gritty.

Coach: If Houston wins tonight, IMO it has to be Gary Kubiak.

Rookie: Robert Griffin III. Luck's poised to lead last year's worst team into the WC round, and that's mighty impressive, but in Griffin you're talking about a guy that came out of college not even used to lining up under center, and will probably finish the year with both the highest passer rating and most rushing yards of any rookie QB in NFL history.

Defensive POTY: JJ Watt. Getting an unreal number of sacks for a 3-4 lineman, while confounding opposing QB's with his unique pass-batting abilities. Definitely the biggest game changer on the defensive side of the ball this year.

MVP: In the usual Brady/Manning race, Peyton's coming out on top this year IMO. But instead I give the trophy to a guy who bests them both in passer rating, in fact leading the entire league in said category ATM, while also excelling as the scat back in the NFL's top rushing tandem, and galvanizing a team that had grown accustomed to losing ...

Robert Griffin III! Call me a homer if you like, but everything I said about him is true. All the league's elite QB's better not rest on their laurels, 'cause RGIII is gunnin' for that #1 spot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2012, 06:42 AM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,943 posts, read 19,178,990 times
Reputation: 9175
Peyton should definitely win the Comeback award.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2012, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Born & Raised DC > Carolinas > Seattle > Denver
9,349 posts, read 5,577,302 times
Reputation: 9446
It's definitely a toss up between Peyton and Peterson, both for comeback player and MVP. They've both been so good this season, it's hard to believe they were both knocked out last year.

Brady sure made a case for himself for MVP last night. the Pats destroyed Houston...I mean HUMILIATED them, on national tv.



@ JohnBiggs, you know the homer in me wants to make that case for Robert as well, but I think most folks who don't pay attention to the Redskins very closely (which is most of the country), they don't understand what he's meant to that team. All people see are the 30 second ESPN highlights of RG3 either running or throwing bombs, they don't get to see all the little things that he does right as well. And with that, most folks only look at wins and losses because they have nothing else to go on. Which unfortunately for RG3 having one of the worst defenses in NFL history, we're only 1 game over .500. Redskins are probably 3-10 without RG3, and 10-3 if we actually had a decent defense. People don't acknowledge how bad RG3's defense is, currently still on pace to break the ALL-TIME NFL record for most passing yards given up in a season. ever.

though I would love to make an argument for RG3, wins do matter, and we don't have enough. Though it's not RG3's fault for the 7-6 record (Redskins are the #5 ranked offense, RG3 is doing his job), Redskins are only 7-6 cuz their defense is AWFUL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top