Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2012, 01:53 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,221 times

Advertisements

Kind of under the radar, but he's actually only three sacks away from the single season record. Considering the Niners' season finale has him going against the embarrassment that is the Arizona Cardinals' o-line, does he not have a very good chance of setting the new mark? And if this happens, does he not have a highly compelling claim to the defensive POTY award?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 05:51 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,789 times
He's having a great year no doubt and not to take anything away from him as he's legit but I I'm on the fence about him deserving DPOTY simply because Justin Smith is such a monster on that line. Justin commands double teams on every play since he's such a force on the run and pass and the 2 of them together creates a nightmare for opposing defenses. Again, he's a fantastic pure pass rusher and help or no help, he still has to get there and make it happen, I just think Justin helps create a lot of those. Aldon is lining up more to drop back in coverage each week so he's not a 1 trick pony by any means. He did so several times in the Miami game and despite that still had 2 sacks with another one in his grasps that he whiffed on as he went for the ball instead of the sack. He's got a great shot at breaking the record. Whether the nod should go to JJ Watts or Von Miller is debatable (I haven't seen enough of them to say whether they do or don't deserve it more than Aldon). Either way, I'm enjoying watching Aldon. The guy is impressive to say the least.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:41 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
He's having a great year no doubt and not to take anything away from him as he's legit but I I'm on the fence about him deserving DPOTY simply because Justin Smith is such a monster on that line. Justin commands double teams on every play since he's such a force on the run and pass and the 2 of them together creates a nightmare for opposing defenses. Again, he's a fantastic pure pass rusher and help or no help, he still has to get there and make it happen, I just think Justin helps create a lot of those. Aldon is lining up more to drop back in coverage each week so he's not a 1 trick pony by any means. He did so several times in the Miami game and despite that still had 2 sacks with another one in his grasps that he whiffed on as he went for the ball instead of the sack. He's got a great shot at breaking the record. Whether the nod should go to JJ Watts or Von Miller is debatable (I haven't seen enough of them to say whether they do or don't deserve it more than Aldon). Either way, I'm enjoying watching Aldon. The guy is impressive to say the least.
Pretty much covers it. Aldon Smith is an excellent pass rusher but he is very one dimensional and often comes off the field on running downs. Von Miller and J.J Watt are more complete players and far more deserving of the award.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:26 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Kind of under the radar, but he's actually only three sacks away from the single season record. Considering the Niners' season finale has him going against the embarrassment that is the Arizona Cardinals' o-line, does he not have a very good chance of setting the new mark? And if this happens, does he not have a highly compelling claim to the defensive POTY award?
Smith has a compelling claim, but the guy in my opinion is JJ Watt. Getting the pass rush productivity out of him at his position of a 3-4 end is very difficult. Smith plays a position that is based to get to the QB, plus as another alluded to he is sorta limited to pass rushing.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:44 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Smith has a compelling claim, but the guy in my opinion is JJ Watt. Getting the pass rush productivity out of him at his position of a 3-4 end is very difficult. Smith plays a position that is based to get to the QB, plus as another alluded to he is sorta limited to pass rushing.
It's worth noting that the Phillips 3-4 is not like the Fairbanks-Bullough 3-4 that many other teams use. It is a penetrating, attacking, one-gap defense that functions more like a 4-3 under set rather than the Fairbanks system where the D-line is two gapping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football