U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-13-2012, 03:57 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 39,782,292 times
Reputation: 16147

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
In order to be popular you have to be a winner. Like when Mcnabb did all of those Chunky SOup commercials
Are you saying Cam is not popular?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2012, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,093 posts, read 5,912,934 times
Reputation: 30347
Ok, thanks for the comments.

Guess I am just not that money-hungry to imagine using that route just for more cash. Seems to me salaries of NFL players are more than enough to begin with....but I do appreciate the point that if they are cut, they have nothing.
But P and E Manning? How much more money do THEY need?

They are funny dressed as fairies, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2012, 04:04 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,414,562 times
Reputation: 19654
Need, schmeed.
Endorsements are alot of money for very little work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2012, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
139 posts, read 115,085 times
Reputation: 76
Cam Newton's team may have a losing record, but Cam is still a big star. He is a celebrity. And the commmercial is hilarious. I have seen it numerous times but it still makes me laugh.
Sure they do it for the money. Why not. Make it while you can (even though their salaries are obscene) Its a short celeb life for them so they have to do it while they can.
I dont like most of Brady's, except for the one with Ray Lewis. Apparently, they have met.
Just another fact of football life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2012, 12:49 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,320,986 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Are you saying Cam is not popular?

Not yet because he has not lead his team to a winning record. Mcnabb didn't start getting popular until the eagles were in the playoffs every year which is why he was the spokesman for Chunky Soup.

What has Cam done so far but miss the playoffs in his first two seasons? Mcnabb was in the playoffs after his second season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2012, 12:51 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,320,986 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjwis9 View Post
Cam Newton's team may have a losing record, but Cam is still a big star. He is a celebrity. And the commmercial is hilarious. I have seen it numerous times but it still makes me laugh.
Sure they do it for the money. Why not. Make it while you can (even though their salaries are obscene) Its a short celeb life for them so they have to do it while they can.
I dont like most of Brady's, except for the one with Ray Lewis. Apparently, they have met.
Just another fact of football life.


I;m still trying to figure out how can a player be a big star and his team is always losing and never in the playoffs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2012, 05:42 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 39,782,292 times
Reputation: 16147
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Not yet because he has not lead his team to a winning record. Mcnabb didn't start getting popular until the eagles were in the playoffs every year which is why he was the spokesman for Chunky Soup.

What has Cam done so far but miss the playoffs in his first two seasons? Mcnabb was in the playoffs after his second season.
Clearly you can't understand the difference between popularity and wining and losing. And I'm not sure anything anyone will say will make you understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2012, 05:44 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 39,782,292 times
Reputation: 16147
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I;m still trying to figure out how can a player be a big star and his team is always losing and never in the playoffs?
Do you think Barry Sanders was a big star?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2012, 05:45 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,320,986 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Clearly you can't understand the difference between popularity and wining and losing. And I'm not sure anything anyone will say will make you understand.

Ok I thought WINNING is what made a NFL player popular? What other reason would he be popular if he is not winning? Help me to understand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2012, 05:47 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 39,782,292 times
Reputation: 16147
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Ok I thought WINNING is what made a NFL player popular? What other reason would he be popular if he is not winning? Help me to understand
Cam Newton is currently #14 in jersey sales. How can this possibly be if he isn't popular? Surely there are 15 more successful players on the field than Cam. Explain that to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top