U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 11:22 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,293,177 times

Advertisements

Expand the NFL playoffs to 16 teams instead of 12?? So what does he want to make sure certain teams reach the playoffs every year? I don't think I can watch football anymore if it's 16 teams because it would then be to easy to make the playoffs.

He is the biggest idiot on the planet and don't know why he ever became commissioner.

Is it that he doesn't want to see these teams out of the playoffs two years in a row anymore?

Dallas
Philadelphia

Just heard this on ESPN tonight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 11:28 PM

19,983 posts, read 18,928,002 times
The NFL should add teams first before adding teams to postseason play. Forty teams in the league and 16 postseason teams may be possible down the road, but not now.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:37 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,293,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The NFL should add teams first before adding teams to postseason play. Forty teams in the league and 16 postseason teams may be possible down the road, but not now.

Exactly, that would mean half of the league would be in the playoffs which would be ridiculous

Old 12-13-2012, 12:15 AM

3,466 posts, read 3,148,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Expand the NFL playoffs to 16 teams instead of 12?? So what does he want to make sure certain teams reach the playoffs every year? I don't think I can watch football anymore if it's 16 teams because it would then be to easy to make the playoffs.

He is the biggest idiot on the planet and don't know why he ever became commissioner.

Is it that he doesn't want to see these teams out of the playoffs two years in a row anymore?

Dallas
Philadelphia

I agree but he works for the owners, not the players and if he can make the owners more money than so be it.

That's why he is in that position, and lets face it everything is about making money.

What's worse is if the NFL adds games, is there will be a point where there won't be any starters left for any team at playoff time it will look like the XFL. As you mentioned the Eagles; Vick, Jackson, McCoy, Kelce, Peters.
All of those guys have missed time, the average career in the NFL is 3 1/2 years, adding games will only shorten those careers and what you'll have is garbage playing in the playoffs.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:43 AM

23,631 posts, read 33,424,168 times
This is why I think Gooddell is such a hypocrite. He fines defensive players for nearly every hard hit, then he turns around and insists on a 18 game season and more playoffs which place players at more risk for injury. Exactly why I cannot stand him.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:32 AM

10,691 posts, read 11,693,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post

Dallas
Philadelphia

Everybody deserves a ribbon........

Old 12-13-2012, 07:49 AM

3,722 posts, read 3,877,834 times
The NFL is not the NBA, or the NHL where more than half the teams make the playoffs. Not to mention the playoffs take far too long for both of those leagues.

The way it is now if perfect. 4 division winners plus 2 wildcard teams. That way the teams that really deserve to get it, get it. Expanding the playoffs will mean the chance of an unworthy team getting in increases and it will force the top 2 teams to have to play.

Don't like the proposal at all.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:49 AM

9,349 posts, read 5,563,395 times
dumbest idea i've ever heard. God I hate Goodell.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:15 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,745,445 times
This was talked about before Goodell was ever commissioner. He doesnt have the power to change it himself. You can place blame at him for this but it's misplaced.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:16 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,745,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Add teams to a league that is having trouble filling rosters will talent? How many teams dont have a QB that can play the position well? There are not enough players that are NFL caliber to fill anymore rosters. Plus, the business of sports has proven that 32 teams is about the ceiling before it over saturates the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or