U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2012, 05:11 AM

11,727 posts, read 11,565,311 times

Advertisements

Quite the season for the Broncos and the Colts! Peyton coming in and doing his thing, Colts with a rookie QB, coming back from the horrible record last year, great stuff! Can't wait for the playoffs!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 02:26 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,385,255 times
Peyton Manning confirmed to the world this season he is indeed a future hall of famer

Old 12-29-2012, 11:32 AM

10,706 posts, read 11,116,348 times
I must admit that this last week has gone by painfully slow. It's not like the playoffs are on the line for the Broncos, though potentially seeding is. I am just ready for the season finale to start. I would love to see the Broncos handle the Chiefs and reach 13-3 on the season. It also wouldn't break my heart to see the Houston Texans drop their last one to the Colts, setting up the Broncos for home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

Bring on week 17 already!

Old 12-29-2012, 11:38 AM

27,092 posts, read 5,956,451 times
How do you know all this...or how to learn?

And:

Please explain WHY coaches such as Andy Reid, who has had so many good seasons, now finds his job in jeopardy....? Is one poor season enough to can a coach??? Do affected players usually agree?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
The AFC playoff teams are decided, though there is still a lot undetermined when it comes to actual seeding. The updated playoff picture looks like:

Houston Texans: 12-3
Denver Broncos: 12-3
New England Patriots: 11-4
Baltimore Ravens: 10-5
Indianapolis Colts: 10-5
Cincinnati Bengals: 9-6

Perhaps the biggest position at stake is the #1 seed. If the Texans lose and the Broncos win, the Broncos take home field advantage throughout the playoffs. However, I do not see this as a likelihood, because the Colts gain nothing by winning the season finale against the Texans, so the Texans may face a Colts backup team. The Ravens can move up to the #3 seed with a win and a Patriots loss. The Patriots host the Dolphins and should be able to hold serve in that one. Plus with a win they are in position for a first round bye should one of Houston or Denver drop their finale.

Another good week of football behind us in the AFC.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
How do you know all this...or how to learn?

And:

Please explain WHY coaches such as Andy Reid, who has had so many good seasons, now finds his job in jeopardy....? Is one poor season enough to can a coach??? Do affected players usually agree?

Thanks
I've followed the league for a lot of years and over time you get a sense for how these things will play out. Mostly I pick it up when a tie breaker or some other playoff scenario involves my team, and I either research the rules or read the information available on numerous sports networks. All that stuff I said is pretty much readily available on ESPN. If you go to the NFL standings, you can find the playoff picture, and the clinching scenarios and all that are all there.

As for Andy Reid, yes he is a good coach. But just as Jeff Fisher with the Titans, or more close to home for me, Mike Shanahan of the Broncos, a coach in the same seat for too long can become stagnant to a point where he seems to lose his competitive edge. The Eagles finished 8-8 last season and out of the playoffs. This is after two consecutive "one and done" performances in 2009 and 2010. The ownership feels that it is time to move on. The players probably have mixed feelings. I'm sure a lot of them like and respect Andy Reid, but they recognize that it is a business that is supposed to deliver a product. At 4-11, the Eagles have not delivered a quality product this year. Before the season began, the owner of the Eagles said that 8-8 would not be enough for him to keep Andy Reid around, and that he expected better. So we can expect to see Reid coach his last game against the Eagles tomorrow, and then the team will officially announce their decision probably as early as Monday. But Andy Reid will be fine. He may take a year off, just as Shanahan did, but he will be a hot prospect for another HC job when he is ready.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:05 PM

27,092 posts, read 5,956,451 times
Great help, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I've followed the league for a lot of years and over time you get a sense for how these things will play out. Mostly I pick it up when a tie breaker or some other playoff scenario involves my team, and I either research the rules or read the information available on numerous sports networks. All that stuff I said is pretty much readily available on ESPN. If you go to the NFL standings, you can find the playoff picture, and the clinching scenarios and all that are all there.

As for Andy Reid, yes he is a good coach. But just as Jeff Fisher with the Titans, or more close to home for me, Mike Shanahan of the Broncos, a coach in the same seat for too long can become stagnant to a point where he seems to lose his competitive edge. The Eagles finished 8-8 last season and out of the playoffs. This is after two consecutive "one and done" performances in 2009 and 2010. The ownership feels that it is time to move on. The players probably have mixed feelings. I'm sure a lot of them like and respect Andy Reid, but they recognize that it is a business that is supposed to deliver a product. At 4-11, the Eagles have not delivered a quality product this year. Before the season began, the owner of the Eagles said that 8-8 would not be enough for him to keep Andy Reid around, and that he expected better. So we can expect to see Reid coach his last game against the Eagles tomorrow, and then the team will officially announce their decision probably as early as Monday. But Andy Reid will be fine. He may take a year off, just as Shanahan did, but he will be a hot prospect for another HC job when he is ready.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Great help, thanks!
No problem! I love talking about this stuff, so if you ever have a question, don't hesitate to ask. Do you follow a specific team?

Old 12-29-2012, 12:14 PM

6,551 posts, read 4,506,707 times
Pro Sports are a whole world different then college & high school sports. The reason some of these college coaches and high school coaches can stay in 1 place for 40+ years if because both of those levels have a 4 year maximum playing limit, so each year the roster turnover is high. In pro sports, you pay a guy millions upon millions of dollars, and if that star player doesn't get along with the coach, even if their having a good to OK year (look at the NBA's Nets with Avery Johnson fired) guess who the first person to go is?? Sure as hell ain't the player the team is paying $15.5 million per season, its the coach he can't get along with.

And like mentioned above Eagles were 1 and done in 2009 & 2010, missed the playoffs last year, and before the year Reid knew he had to make the playoffs to save his job, and this had been a bad season so tomorrow for all intents and purposes will be his final game as Eagles coach. Same with Norv Turner at San Diego. I don't think he's that bad of a coach, except he can't motivate his current team, so who's gonna be the person that goes?? Norv Turner. Its the way the business is, and why I would much rather coach college/high school sports if given the choice. The pay is next to nothing, but the job security is extremely high.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Same with Norv Turner at San Diego.
The funniest thing about Norv Turner, he is hated by Chargers fans, yet he has been one of the most successful Chargers coaches in the history of that team. The Chargers are not a franchise with a great history. Sure, they had Fouts and Coryell back in the early 80s and they were a great team back in the AFL days, but they have historically had a few good seasons with several bad seasons in a row. Norv Turner has coached the Chargers to a 49-31 record leading into this season. 2012 will be the first losing season for Turner as the Chargers HC. Turner has also coached the Chargers to 3 playoff wins. It may not sound like much, but consider that those 3 playoff wins represent 1/3 of the Chargers playoff wins in franchise history since the NFL-AFL merger and now they are looking pretty special. Turner has disappointed some Chargers fans to be sure, but consider his body of work against the history of the Chargers and his era will likely be remembered as one of the better ones.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:29 AM

The early games kick off in about 90 minutes. I plan on watching the Texans @ Colts in the early goings. If the Colts win, the Broncos slide into the #1 seed with a win over the 2-13 Chiefs. Also, if the Texans fall in Indianapolis today, the Patriots have a chance to claim the #2 seed with a win over the 7-8 Dolphins.

What games have you most excited today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or