U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 06:18 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,994,747 times

Advertisements

The initial line has Houston as 4.5 point faves. I think they can beat the Bengals.

Also, I'm looking forward to the first meeting between Andrew Luck and Ray Lewis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 06:26 AM

10,677 posts, read 11,083,182 times
The Colts are riding an emotional wave of momentum. They a big feel good story, much like last year's Broncos. I can see them riding that all the way through Wild Card weekend. The Colts defense is not very good, but they have some guys who have stepped up and made plays. The Colts offense is solid enough to get the job done. I think they roll the Ravens.

The Houston game is harder to pick because the Texans are struggling and the Bengals are riding a small wave of momentum themselves. But momentum does not always translate into the playoffs. I think the Texans recover from their slide just enough to hold off the Bengals. Then they go into Foxboro and get destroyed by the Patriots. Again.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:02 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,670,466 times
Cincy is a 40-1 shot to win the superbowl....Denver early fav at 5-2 and NE at 3-1.....

Old 12-31-2012, 09:02 AM

18,509 posts, read 28,163,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
The initial line has Houston as 4.5 point faves. I think they can beat the Bengals.

Also, I'm looking forward to the first meeting between Andrew Luck and Ray Lewis.
It's not about can or cannot. Anything can happen.
The likelihood of the Texans winning is the question.

The Bengals are going to win because Houston is nothing with a damaged running game. Schaub is hapless with a damaged running game. Houston also had a damaged defense and coaches that are slow to adapt.

Eight weeks ago the Texans were well staged for a deep run in the play offs. It started falling apart with the loss of Cushing, then foster started faltering and Schaubs true colors started coming out.

I will be very surprised if the Texans win. But like last year, the second sees is gonna murderize them real easy.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:13 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,994,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
It's not about can or cannot. Anything can happen.
The likelihood of the Texans winning is the question.

The Bengals are going to win because Houston is nothing with a damaged running game. Schaub is hapless with a damaged running game. Houston also had a damaged defense and coaches that are slow to adapt.

Eight weeks ago the Texans were well staged for a deep run in the play offs. It started falling apart with the loss of Cushing, then foster started faltering and Schaubs true colors started coming out.

I will be very surprised if the Texans win. But like last year, the second sees is gonna murderize them real easy.
Pretty much. Any way you slice it, I think we're in for another Manning vs. Brady AFC title game, a delight we have not had in six years.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Pretty much. Any way you slice it, I think we're in for another Manning vs. Brady AFC title game, a delight we have not had in six years.
Well, both teams have to do their parts against whoever survives wild card weekend this week. As classic as Broncos-Patriots in the AFC Championship Game would be, it would not surprise me if one of them were upset in the divisional round. The playoffs are hard to predict.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:17 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,670,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Well, both teams have to do their parts against whoever survives wild card weekend this week. As classic as Broncos-Patriots in the AFC Championship Game would be, it would not surprise me if one of them were upset in the divisional round. The playoffs are hard to predict.
I think most people think the afc is more top heavy than the NFC. Would be shocked if its not a pats/broncos championship..it's very difficult to make a strong argument for these other teams....

Old 01-01-2013, 09:09 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,193,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I think most people think the afc is more top heavy than the NFC. Would be shocked if its not a pats/broncos championship..it's very difficult to make a strong argument for these other teams....

Have to agree and I am glad it will be in Denver, not Foxborro.
Looking forward to Andrew Luck @ Peyton Manning for week two.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I agree that the Broncos and Patriots APPEAR to be the best teams in the AFC. The Broncos seem to be the most complete on offense, defense and special teams. The Patriots have that ridiculous offense to make up for any questions they have on defense, though we have seen this formula fail them in the playoffs in recent years. Still I've watched too much NFL football to write off any team in the playoffs. If a team is good enough to get there, they are good enough to upset a team that appears better than they. The difference between a 10-6 team and a 12-4 team can really come down to a few key plays throughout the season. So any one of these teams in the playoffs can be as good as the other on any given week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Have to agree and I am glad it will be in Denver, not Foxborro.
Looking forward to Andrew Luck @ Peyton Manning for week two.
I agree. As a Broncos fan I am glad that the Patriots have to come to Denver. They are still good enough to win that game, but so are the Broncos and they helped themselves out by doing enough throughout the season to get that #1 seed.

But a Patriots @ Broncos game has to wait until after the divisional round. You mentioned a Colts-Broncos game and I think that is a strong possibility. I think the Colts are a good enough team to go into Baltimore and ride their emotional wave to a win. But they are not good enough to win against the Broncos or Patriots. I know this seems to contradict what I said above, so keep in mind that when talking NFL teams, I always acknowledge the possibility (and likelihood) that I am wrong about everything. The Colts are a lot like last year's Broncos. It is an inspiring story how Chuck Pagano has fought his battle with lukemia, and how the team has rallied around him. That might be powerful enough to get the Colts past Baltimore, but after that they have to play the Broncos or Patriots. If the Texans do their part on wild card weekend, the Colts will visit the Broncos. What a media circus that game would be.

But the reality is that the Colts defense is really not very good. They've had a couple games where they've played above their level, but a good offense is going to be able to move the ball and score on them. Manning and the Broncos would carve this defense up. Luck and the offense may be able to get their blows in, but I doubt that they would be able to sustain it against the best defense Denver has seen in years. I see a Colts @ Broncos game as a decisive win for the Broncos.

By the way, the Colts are 11-5 with a -30 point differential. I know some teams have gone 10-6 and had a negative point differential, but I don't think a team has ever gone 11-5 and done it. Not significant at all, just a little football trivia.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:38 AM

4,164 posts, read 4,616,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
By the way, the Colts are 11-5 with a -30 point differential. I know some teams have gone 10-6 and had a negative point differential, but I don't think a team has ever gone 11-5 and done it. Not significant at all, just a little football trivia.
As a Colts fan, this doesn't surprise me at all. 9 of their 11 wins were by a touchdown or less. But their loses were huge. The Colts lost to Chicago by 20, lost to the Jets by 24, lost to New England by 25, lost to Houston by 12. Then they had wins of 3 points, 3 points, 6 points, 3 points, 2 points. Their biggest margin of victory all season was the second game against the Jags that they won by 17 points.

Everyone seems to think the Cotls are a lock to beat the Ravens, never mind the Ravens are favored by 6.5. Luck needs to play a perfect game to get past Baltimore. In interceptions, he's just shy of leading the league with 18. He's had numerous bad throws that should have been intercepted but were dropped. I hope the Colts do win this Sunday, but if they do, I hope they don't find themselves getting embarrassed in Denver or Foxboro (already been in embarrassed in Foxboro once this season).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or