U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-20-2012, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Born & Raised DC > Carolinas > Seattle > Denver
9,349 posts, read 5,563,395 times
Reputation: 9446

Advertisements

If Tim Tebow could swallow his ENORMOUS ego (don't let the humble act fool you), and accept that he's not a good QB, I believe he has the size, strength and will to be a probowl tight end or utility back. The kid is very modest, and he seems genuine, but he won't allow people to look at him as anything else other than a QB. LOL

I moved here to Denver last year when Tebow Mania was in full swing. It was fun. I liked Tebow, a lot. but he's a horrible QB. However, he refuses to be anywhere else but under center. At 6'3 240, he could be a big nasty, physical tight end. Like a Gronk or a Heath Miller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-20-2012, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
139 posts, read 114,995 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
If Tim Tebow could swallow his ENORMOUS ego (don't let the humble act fool you), and accept that he's not a good QB, I believe he has the size, strength and will to be a probowl tight end or utility back. The kid is very modest, and he seems genuine, but he won't allow people to look at him as anything else other than a QB. LOL

I moved here to Denver last year when Tebow Mania was in full swing. It was fun. I liked Tebow, a lot. but he's a horrible QB. However, he refuses to be anywhere else but under center. At 6'3 240, he could be a big ass, nasty, physical tight ends. Like a Gronk or a Heath Miller.
I dont know if the humble act is an act or not, but I agree, he's not a qb. If he wants success in the league, he has to try another position.
What about a running back besides tight end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2012, 08:42 AM
 
248 posts, read 614,243 times
Reputation: 105
Tim Tebow can still be a quarterback. He just needs to correct three major things:

1. Release time. Throwing motion takes forever, gives defense ample time to knock it down or pick it off.

2. Not having a rush first strategy. He needs to rely more on throwing and less on running or run option plays. Becomes even more important as he puts on more years.

3. Short passing situations. Although correcting #1 helps tremendously with this. He can definitely make mid range throws but I can't remember him making short throws to gain a few yards here and there. Just look at the Broncos vs Steelers game in the playoffs last year to see his mid range to long range throwing ability.

Of course, he deserves a few snaps as a starter, just not with this abomination called the Jets.

I might be wrong with #3 because I haven't seem him play much, but that's the overall impression I got from watching him play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2012, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Currently living in Reddit
5,655 posts, read 5,698,958 times
Reputation: 7280
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
He wasn't successful early in his career. He had one decent season out of four. Only reason the team did well early was because of the defense.
Probably a good thing that defense didn't show up vs. Steelers in AFC Championship, or Sanchez would've been a bigger legend in Jets fans' minds than he already was back then.

I was a rabid Jets fan even after moving to Pgh in 2002. That ended when Woody signed Favre and threw Pennington to the curb. I was actually happy when Penny took a terrible Fins to the playoffs - and eliminating Favre's Jets on the way. Karma, baby.

Woody deserves all the scorn that can be heaped on him. This team is going nowhere without a total reboot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2012, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
6,555 posts, read 10,261,428 times
Reputation: 9796
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuric View Post
Tim Tebow can still be a quarterback. He just needs to correct three major things:

1. Release time. Throwing motion takes forever, gives defense ample time to knock it down or pick it off.

2. Not having a rush first strategy. He needs to rely more on throwing and less on running or run option plays. Becomes even more important as he puts on more years.

3. Short passing situations. Although correcting #1 helps tremendously with this. He can definitely make mid range throws but I can't remember him making short throws to gain a few yards here and there. Just look at the Broncos vs Steelers game in the playoffs last year to see his mid range to long range throwing ability.

Of course, he deserves a few snaps as a starter, just not with this abomination called the Jets.

I might be wrong with #3 because I haven't seem him play much, but that's the overall impression I got from watching him play.
He also needs to learn how to take a snap from under center without fumbling it, read defenses, go through all his progressions (not just the first one or 2), and complete a timing route. Most of Tebow's scant few completions last year were made after the play had broken down and the receivers were running around routeless playing sandlot football. That's a great way to get your receivers creamed by a DB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2012, 10:30 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,399,181 times
Reputation: 19654
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuric View Post
Tim Tebow can still be a quarterback. He just needs to correct three major things:

1. Release time. Throwing motion takes forever, gives defense ample time to knock it down or pick it off.

2. Not having a rush first strategy. He needs to rely more on throwing and less on running or run option plays. Becomes even more important as he puts on more years.

3. Short passing situations. Although correcting #1 helps tremendously with this. He can definitely make mid range throws but I can't remember him making short throws to gain a few yards here and there. Just look at the Broncos vs Steelers game in the playoffs last year to see his mid range to long range throwing ability.

Of course, he deserves a few snaps as a starter, just not with this abomination called the Jets.

I might be wrong with #3 because I haven't seem him play much, but that's the overall impression I got from watching him play.

4. Improve (quicker) reading of defenses
5. Improve (get some) pass accuracy. With Tebow, the turf is usually the leading receiver.
6. Improve (get some) touch on his passes. You can't just fling it all the time.
7. Go through the reads instead of pulling it down and running if your primary receiver is covered.

So basically, in order for Tebow to be an NFL QB, he needs to improve on everything a QB is relied on to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2012, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Born & Raised DC > Carolinas > Seattle > Denver
9,349 posts, read 5,563,395 times
Reputation: 9446
my thing is, Tebow has worked out with QB specialists during the off-seasons. wasn't he in California last winter/spring with the UCLA or USC quarterbacks coach? The kid just doesn't seem to be grasping things quickly enough.

I watched that one series he had on Monday night, and it looked just like he did in Denver. 5 step drop, scans really quick, nothing...takes off to his left...defenders. takes off back to his right towards the sidelines...throws the ball 30 feet into the stands. its like he just can't make decisions quickly enough, which is the #1 thing for a QB.

and when I made the comment about him not being humble, i meant strictly in a football sense. Tebow REFUSES to be anything other than a QB. not sure if its fact, but there were rumors about the Broncos coaches asking him if he wanted to try playing tight end, and he didn't wanna hear it AT ALL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2012, 11:02 AM
 
248 posts, read 614,243 times
Reputation: 105
Ok back to the original topic (I'm finished with talking about Tebow).....

The New York Jets franchise needs to be liquidated and all their assets sold. Time for the NFL to have 31 teams instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2012, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,744,446 times
Reputation: 2806
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuric View Post
What a messed up.....abomination. Woody should just consider disbanding the team, selling all of their assets for $$, and pocket it or donate it. That is the worst managed team I've ever seen in any level of any sports competition (including casual sports leagues) in any sport.
Worst managed team? Are you serious? They arent even close to being the worst managed team in the NFL. The Browns and Chiefs are both easily worse managed in the Jets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2012, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,630 posts, read 33,419,067 times
Reputation: 32339
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
He also needs to learn how to take a snap from under center without fumbling it, read defenses, go through all his progressions (not just the first one or 2), and complete a timing route. Most of Tebow's scant few completions last year were made after the play had broken down and the receivers were running around routeless playing sandlot football. That's a great way to get your receivers creamed by a DB.
If I was a receiver, Tebow would be the last guy I'd want at QB. He simply cannot throw NFL caliber passes and the passes he does get off, the way I'd have to go after them, I'd be the blue plate special at the NFL DBs House of Crunch.

I think it was a smart move of the Jets to start McElroy. Because if Tebow started and played well the last two games, Tebowmania would go wild and go in on the Jets when they let Tebow go. Tebow's problem with his circus is going to scare off any potential trade partners with the Jets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top