U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 09:14 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,915,214 times

Advertisements

I believe Tebow can be successful QB in the NFL. If he is given the right offense. Its frustrating to to see this people stuck on mechanics, when they should focus wins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 10:26 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,747,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
I believe Tebow can be successful QB in the NFL. If he is given the right offense. Its frustrating to to see this people stuck on mechanics, when they should focus wins.
I'm not sure I agree. But even if you are correct, is he that good that he should be given the "right offense"? Is Tebow the guy you build a team around? Because if he isn't, that offense is probably going to be garbage when you bring someone else in.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:43 PM

6,554 posts, read 10,257,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Here's a guy who says that he can "fix" Tim Tebow's passing problems in six weeks of intensive work when he gets to his new team.

Excerpt: "Tim Tebow is fixable. The mechanically flawed quarterback can be "re-engineered'' and given a fresh start beyond his failed New York Jets experiment, say two leading quarterback gurus who are willing to accept the challenge."

That's what George Whitfield Jr. had to say. Another QB guru, Terry Shea, agrees with Whitfield that Tebow is not only salvageable, but says it is a critical matter of matching Tebow's different skill set with the right head coach who can maximize his athleticism. I never heard of these guys, but some of you may have.
If it were simply a matter of mechanics I'd be inclined to agree, but it's a lot more than that. If I had to put Tebow's weaknesses in the order I think they should be fixed I'd go
  1. Progressions & Checkdowns: Tebow has to be able to look through all his receivers (not just the first 1 or 2) before tucking the ball and running with it or running around the pocket until he takes a sack.
  2. Timing: Throwing a pretty ball is nice but it does you no good if every pass is essentially the result of a busted play. He has to be able to hit receivers who are running away from him in stride consistently. Yes, I know he can throw a nice deep ball, but ask Jeff Blake how much being able to throw a pretty bomb helped his career. He's got to improve considerably on his short and intermediate throws.

Tebow's good when the receivers have broken off their routes and they can stop and face him, but that leaves them open to crushing hits from DBs. Tebow's first pass as a Jet vs. the 49ers landed TE Dedrick Epps on injured reserve. Epps took a designed jump pass from Tebow and was hit low by a charging Deshon Goldson as he turned to run downfield. IMNSHO, I think that play was a big reason why the Jets abandoned their grand Tebow scheme.
  3. Mechanics: Let's be honest, it doesn't matter as much how he throws the football; it's more a matter of when and where. Is the ball on time? Is it in a place where the receiver can catch it? Matthew Stafford has one of the ugliest sidearm deliveries I've ever seen (think Bernie Kosar on steroids), but he puts the ball on the money. I don't think folks would care if Tebow threw the ball underhand as long as he got it to the receivers.
  4. Reading defenses: This isn't essential, but when your skills are limited like Tebow's are it really helps. Jay Cutler doesn't read defenses very well, but he's able to overcome that with a good arm.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:45 PM

6,554 posts, read 10,257,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post

This is an argument I don't buy. You cannot install a run-oriented offense in the NFL and expect to be successful long-term. Why?

Durability. Tebow will not be long for the NFL if he's having to run the ball 10-15 times a game. There's a reason why it's possible for guys like Favre, Brady, and Peyton Manning to play for 15, 16, 17+ years - they didn't/don't take a lot of hits. A long career for a running QB is probably half that (7-9 years).

Running QBs are the exception, not the norm. If Tebow goes down, then what? Chances are his backup is a pocket passer. Are you gonna expect him to run the option? No, so you'll have to increase the size of the playbook to accomodate both signal callers. Yes, I'm aware that RG3, Colin Kaepernick, and Cam Newton can run the ball, but they can also complete 60-70% of their throws. Running is not as vital to their careers as it is to Tebow.

No receiver worth his salt will want to play in a run-oriented offense. Numbers on a stat sheet translate into dollars on a contract, and if you're only getting 2-3 catches per game, you're throwing cash down the toilet. When Tebow was named the starter, Brandon Lloyd was traded per his request, and Eddie Royal bolted at season's end.

Lastly, if you run into a team that shuts your running game down then what? You gonna be comfortable with Tebow throwing the ball 40 times a game? I suspect most coaches will be uneasy with him throwing half as many passes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football