U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-20-2012, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,093 posts, read 5,888,275 times
Reputation: 30347

Advertisements

Having watched Pro fb for years, I still can't say I am very knowledgable about the game.

I listen to every word but trying to follow announcers on tv is virtually impossible, as everything happens quickly and some of the terminology is lost on me. Reading NFL online helps but still...

Just HOW can I learn more....? Is there a Football for Dummies?

(Yes, I am female but there are plenty of women who love fb and are much more educated about this than I am...)

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-20-2012, 10:56 AM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 39,754,055 times
Reputation: 16146
Is it the rules that give you a problem? Or the concepts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2012, 11:04 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,399,181 times
Reputation: 19654
Why, yes there is a Football for Dummies book:

Football for Dummies: Howie Long, John Czarnecki: 9781118012611: Amazon.com: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2012, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
Reputation: 33476
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Having watched Pro fb for years, I still can't say I am very knowledgable about the game.

I listen to every word but trying to follow announcers on tv is virtually impossible, as everything happens quickly and some of the terminology is lost on me. Reading NFL online helps but still...

Just HOW can I learn more....? Is there a Football for Dummies?

(Yes, I am female but there are plenty of women who love fb and are much more educated about this than I am...)

Any ideas?
try to not listen to the announcers at all. honestly, no one here or on TV really understands the game or can predict what is going to happen with any accuracy. You can establish credibility with those you watch with in homes or at a bar by swearing a lot and occasionally yelling out "Blitz! Blitz!" either just before or just after the ball is hiked. Or, immediately state matter-of-factly, "looks like holding" whenever you notice the word "FLAG" pop up on the TV graphics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2012, 11:17 AM
 
248 posts, read 614,243 times
Reputation: 105
Play Madden NFL 13
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2012, 11:24 AM
 
7,593 posts, read 9,446,457 times
Reputation: 8954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
try to not listen to the announcers at all. honestly, no one here or on TV really understands the game or can predict what is going to happen with any accuracy. You can establish credibility with those you watch with in homes or at a bar by swearing a lot and occasionally yelling out "Blitz! Blitz!" either just before or just after the ball is hiked. Or, immediately state matter-of-factly, "looks like holding" whenever you notice the word "FLAG" pop up on the TV graphics.
More effective when you roll your eyes, or when pleading to the football gods for mercy, with outstretched arms......right, Mr. Lundegaard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2012, 11:26 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,399,181 times
Reputation: 19654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
try to not listen to the announcers at all. honestly, no one here or on TV really understands the game or can predict what is going to happen with any accuracy. You can establish credibility with those you watch with in homes or at a bar by swearing a lot and occasionally yelling out "Blitz! Blitz!" either just before or just after the ball is hiked. Or, immediately state matter-of-factly, "looks like holding" whenever you notice the word "FLAG" pop up on the TV graphics.

I agree. You don't have to be knowledgeable at all, just use these phrases/questions randomly throughout a game:

- "Looks like they're in a zone."
- "Another flag?"
- "They should challenge it."
- "What a block!Did you see that?"
- "Man, he was wide open."
- "He needs to make that throw/he needs to make that catch/he needs to make that tackle/he needs to make that cut/he needs to see that hole"
- "They should've run/pass/kick/punt/block/score/throw the ball away"
- "Dumb play calling/Great play calling'
-- "They should've gone with a zone blitz/Cover-2/Bubble screen"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2012, 11:45 AM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 39,754,055 times
Reputation: 16146
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I agree. You don't have to be knowledgeable at all, just use these phrases/questions randomly throughout a game:

- "Looks like they're in a zone."
- "Another flag?"
- "They should challenge it."
- "What a block!Did you see that?"
- "Man, he was wide open."
- "He needs to make that throw/he needs to make that catch/he needs to make that tackle/he needs to make that cut/he needs to see that hole"
- "They should've run/pass/kick/punt/block/score/throw the ball away"
- "Dumb play calling/Great play calling'
-- "They should've gone with a zone blitz/Cover-2/Bubble screen"
You must watch a lot of Thursday night football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2012, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
Reputation: 33476
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
More effective when you roll your eyes, or when pleading to the football gods for mercy, with outstretched arms......right, Mr. Lundegaard?
Yah, real good now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2012, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Two Rivers, Wisconsin
11,722 posts, read 11,543,470 times
Reputation: 12484
or do what I do, mute the TV and listen to the local announcers on the radio! Some of the regular TV announcers drive me crazy.

I've been watching football 50 yrs. I just pay attention to basics, 3 downs to get 10 yards, don't do it, punt the ball or go for it on 4th and inches if you think you have a chance. I don't care if the announcers think he should have thrown it to someone who was more open or you have to catch that ball, guy dropped it, he knows he has to catch it! Talk about overstating the obvious no wonder football is confusing!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top