U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 08:40 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,414,562 times

Advertisements

Well, I think I'll always remember the Seattle-GB Inaccurate Reception game even though it was just a simple regular-season game.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:45 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,320,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Well, I think I'll always remember the Seattle-GB Inaccurate Reception game even though it was just a simple regular-season game.

It was nice that GB still made the playoffs after that horrible call

Old 12-23-2012, 10:03 AM

32,532 posts, read 30,670,932 times
I think you have to put it into perspective. In the early 70's football on TV was changing. Colored sets were becoming more and more common and Monday Night Football was only a couple of years old. It was a play that a LOT of people watched as football was becoming more and more of a national obsession and, with the call coming as it did, cameras played a crucial role. (Hats off to Double H for the explanation of that.)

Old 12-23-2012, 10:11 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,320,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I think you have to put it into perspective. In the early 70's football on TV was changing. Colored sets were becoming more and more common and Monday Night Football was only a couple of years old. It was a play that a LOT of people watched as football was becoming more and more of a national obsession and, with the call coming as it did, cameras played a crucial role. (Hats off to Double H for the explanation of that.)

I didn't realize that it was the 40th anniversary of that play.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:19 AM

32,532 posts, read 30,670,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I didn't realize that it was the 40th anniversary of that play.
Those of us who remember watching it are feeling a little older today, lol.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:31 AM

16,528 posts, read 20,980,909 times
Quote:
That's for sure!

Another point regarding where the league was promotion wise was that NFL Films was just getting started to have input on both of the "NFL Today" shows on CBS and NBC. You also didn't have a lot of money coming through the clubs set up by NFL properties in regards to selling team ball caps, jerseys, t-shirts, etc.

So what several ball clubs did was have their fans promote from within. And the Pittsburgh fans certainly did their part. All around the stadium you would see home made banners regarding their favorite players and establishing mini fan clubs to them. A few of those would be "Fuqua's French Foreign Legion" (John Fuqua), "Gerela's Gorillas" (Roy Gerela), "Franco's Italian Army" (Franco Harris), and other players.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:36 AM

20,419 posts, read 37,664,790 times
Maybe this will shed some light...

Birth of champion Steelers created a new attitude in Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 12-23-2012, 11:06 AM

32,383 posts, read 59,858,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I mean why should Raiders fans even care about this game when it wasn't even the AFC championship game which determines who goes to the SB. I was watching Football life on the NFL network and there was a special about this game and how Franco Harris has a statute??? A statute for a man whose team lost the next week and never made the SB? To me this is the most over hyped NFL story in NFL history since that miracle win ended up not meaning anything in the long run.
There is so much you do not understand that you still do not understand no matter what or how much anyone else tells you.

But ...

If you ask me, the more memorable play during the playoffs that year was in the Steelers-Dolphins game the next week: Larry Seiple's fake punt and run for a first down.

We were in Pittsburgh visiting my grandparents for New Year's, and the game was blacked out there. The tape of the game was broadcast at midnight on some Pittsburgh TV station or another, and my dad and I sat in my aunt's basement to watch the game on a little black and white portable, so we wouldn't disturb the various family members sleeping on the living room floor.

To this day, the words "fake punt" in my family results in gales of hilarity. I guess we're easily amused.

Quote:
Indeed.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:14 PM

4,324 posts, read 2,260,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
1. It wasn't the game that decided who goes to the Superbowl

2. That Lucky Steelers win never lead to them reaching the Superbowl that year

I mean why should Raiders fans even care about this game when it wasn't even the AFC championship game which determines who goes to the SB. I was watching Football life on the NFL network and there was a special about this game and how Franco Harris has a statute??? A statute for a man whose team lost the next week and never made the SB? To me this is the most over hyped NFL story in NFL history since that miracle win ended up not meaning anything in the long run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Because it was the first playoff win for them ever and only 9 or 10 non-losing seasons of their then 40 year existence, and it would usher in a rivalry with Oakland and the start of their one of two back-to-back Super Bowl wins in the 70s.

Other than that, yeah no big deal.
Here's the thing, Raiders fans still complain, I assume, about the call because they thought it hit Frenchy.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...late-Reception

Old 04-20-2016, 06:23 PM

13,223 posts, read 17,966,293 times
The actual rule is often misinterpreted. If the ball touched a defensive player at all, then the entire offense became eligible, period. No matter whether or not an offensive player touched it, or whether an offensive player touched it first, if it touched a defensive player at all, then every offensive player became eligible to receive the ball. The ball bounced eight yards back upfield, and it also bounced a split second before Frenchy Fuqua bounced off Jack Tatum, so it was not possible for the transfer of momentum to the ball to have come from Fuqua, especially since Fuqua was running across the field, not upfield. If Fuqua was the only player who touched the ball, then it would have bounced across the field instead of upfield. Thus, the transfer of momentum had to have come from Tatum, who was running full speed back upfield toward Fuqua, and also in the exact same direction that the ball bounced. The basic laws of physics imply that the correct call was made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or